Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 48,984 times

Advertisements

What is Goodyear like? I'm curious about the type of people in the general area. Are there gangs and problems with crime? Is it surrounded by low income areas? Some people try to steer me clear from Goodyear, yet when I look at the homes for sale in my price range, they look really nice. Can this really be a bad area? Or, has a changed? Give me the scoop!

I'm looking for a nice community that is family oriented with good schools (public or private). We have our business from home, so commute is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:45 PM

26 posts, read 89,515 times
You can find homes or apt's for pretty cheap in that area. My advice is take a look at people in the neighborhoods and then decide if there are gangs and crime problems. Look up crime rates online and weigh your options. It's always best to look around and not just settle on one area. I'm in Buckeye right now but there is nothing out here. The only appealing thing out here are the rental prices of houses. The heat is pretty much the same too. I thought it was a good idea moving out here but it turns out it wasn't. Goodyear is kind of better than Buckeye as there are definitely more places to go out there than in Buckeye. Buckeye is also in the middle of nowhere. Like I said, homes/apt's are pretty much the same in price. If I could go back and not move to Buckeye I'd Move somewhere between Goodyear and Mesa. There's more rain between those areas too.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerson_meng View Post
What is Goodyear like? I'm curious about the type of people in the general area. Are there gangs and problems with crime? Is it surrounded by low income areas? Some people try to steer me clear from Goodyear, yet when I look at the homes for sale in my price range, they look really nice. Can this really be a bad area? Or, has a changed? Give me the scoop!

I'm looking for a nice community that is family oriented with good schools (public or private). We have our business from home, so commute is not an issue.
People - friendly for the most part - i find this to be the case for most of the metro .... people tend to keep to themselves

Gangs & crime - not really ..... i haven't seen any gang activity - crimes tend to be more of the property damage nature .... check the crime reports

Surrounded by low income areas? - once again, not really ..... closest community to the west is verrado which is very nice .... you go north and you'll hit surprise or the area by luke airforce base .... you go south and you run into the estrella mountain and the nice community of estrella

about the only area where you may run up next to a less desirable area is south of I-10 and east of litchfield road as you get closer to old avondale ..... even then it's not like that area is a warzone and there isn't really much bleeding over to the rest of the area south of I-10 (where I currently live)

Fair amount of family activities ... check out the city webpage, you can look at the "InFocus" community newsletter as well the cities parks & recs programs .... i think there is quite a bit going on

the area is served by 3 elementary school districts and 2 high school districts ..... in general the schools are better north of I-10 (where you are in the litchfield ESD) or up in the estrella community

there are also good schools south of I-10 .... as with most look at the individual school, their parent/teacher organizations, etc .... IMO, you'll be fine with any of the goodyear schools as long as you are active in your childs education .... resources aren't below what you can expect in other parts of the city

most of all, come and check it out in person

Old 08-08-2010, 06:46 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,220,381 times
We live in Goodyear (Canyon Trails area) and really like it here. We've seen no crime and everyone is friendly for the most part. I would buy here again if I had it to do over again. Goodyear has some big plans in the future once the economy picks back up.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,619 times
Quote:
Some people try to steer me clear from Goodyear
Goodyear is a nice town. It won the "All-American" and "Most Livable City" awards just two years ago. Stay north of the I-10 or south of the I-10 but west of the airport. Nice neighborhoods, low crime, no gangs. I recommend the Estrella community, but there are many other nice ones, as well.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,378 times
Goodyear as a whole is very nice, most of it is newer so there is very little of it that is run-down.

The only thing is there isn't really a strong community sense because it's so spread out. There are large master-planned communities scattered throughout Goodyear where you will find community pride, but not in Goodyear as a whole.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 AM

15 posts, read 59,935 times
Canyon Trails is where I live. I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area