Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,113,000 times

Advertisements

It's not fair at all to call someone selfish because they don't want kids. I'm pretty sure I do want them someday but sometimes I do question that when I see people with kids and how much work it is. From the day that child is born you can never put yourself first again. Or you shouldn't. It doesn't make someone a selfish or bad person because they have other ambitions in life than to raise children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM

11,140 posts, read 9,773,353 times
UKman, no need to explain yourself. Not wanting kids is a perfectly valid reason to not want kids. As a child-free woman, I got that "selfish" thing when I was younger. I've always felt that I gave way more thought to my decision to not have kids than many parents give the decision to have them. It's far more selfish to want kids just because you want them, without thinking about how you can adequately provide for them, or if your lifestyle is healthy for them, etc. It's just your personal decision, and no one needs to know your reasons, although that won't stop them from asking. I might not share that whole "detesting to the point of abuse" thing though. Get a stock answer ready (something like..."I'm just not into kids at all"), and unless the person you are talking to is the potential mother of those children, you don't need to go beyond that answer.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:49 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,814,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
It's selfish to not want kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And I disagree!! I think it highly selfish to want to make babies to pass on your name and DNA. Especially when there are already 7 billion human beings on this planet and so many people are still not living a very good quality of life.

Being selfish is having babies because YOU want to. Not being selfish is not having babies because earth doesn't have enough resources (clean drinking water, food, arable land, decent jobs) for every human being.

Please explain yourself.
IMO, being selfish (and also obnoxious) is questioning anyone else for having kids or not. It's none of my business what others decide and to call others selfish for their choices just means I expect others to do as I would have them do to please me or for my benefit. Pretty much the height of selfishness.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
I'll never understand the "It's selfish not to want children" thing. Huh?

If anything, I'd say people that do have children might be labeled selfish.

Some childless people are definately self-centered. Maybe they're selfish too, but not because they choose to remain child free.

I have not heard it is selfish not wto want children. WHat I have heard is if you are selfish, you should not have children. Rasiing children requires a huge amount of selflessness. You must sacrifice a lot of benefit for yourself in order to promote the benefit of kids or family. I have relatives who recognized this and determined they are too selfish to have children. selfishness is always touted as a bad thing. Our society values selflessness, but selfishness is human nature. Everyone wants things for themselves. Many people will readily lie cheat and steal if they acan get away with it in order to get things for themselves. Is it surprising that many people to not want to share their time and resources with kids, who unless you really dedicate your self to them, are not likely to be appreciative (or at least will be unappreciateive at times.).

So anyway it is backwards. People are npt selfish because they choose to remain child free; they choose to remain child free becasue they are not interested in the self sacrifice necessary to raise decent children.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,317,297 times
Continue to avoid having children.

Also, steer clear of these professions:

teacher
police or fire man or woman
nurse or doctor(with exception of abortion clinic and/or sterilization clinic)
daycare worker, nanny, au par, etc.
Chunky Cheese employee
theme park employee
the spouse of anyone who has them or grandchildren

Too many to finish list, but I think you get the picture.

The not wanting children is not disturbing or abnormal. The despising and possible abuse/hatred part is.

I'd seek some help for that one. It's abnormal---> to say the least!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:18 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,687 times
I don't get why this always creates such nasty arguments. If you don't want children, fine -- don't have them. If you want children, fine -- have children. We should all do what we want with our own lives, and mind our own business.

I will say this: There's nothing wrong with not wanting children. However, there is something strange about hating children, or about hating parents. Which you will sometimes see expressed by people who are "childfree".

Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
It's selfish to not want kids.

How in the world did you come up with that dumb statement?

I chose not to have children, I wanted a high powered career and I knew that I could not serve two masters. Not having children was the right decision for me.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:16 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,399,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post

I chose not to have children, I wanted a high powered career and I knew that I could not serve two masters. Not having children was the right decision for me.
It seems like many many people frame the decision whether or not to have children in this way, kids vs successful career. It's not impossible to raise kids and a successful career but the absence of one sure does seem to make the other easier. However I believe having a "high powered career, chasing the almighty dollar and some superfluous title" pales in comparison with the opportunity to give the gift of life to another human being, raise them with your values and form a a loving parent/child bond.

No one ever writes "I wish I'd spent more time at work" on their gravestone. I'm certain that when I'm in the twilight of my life by my, surrounded by my children and grandchildren I will be absolutely content with no regrets.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post

As I said in my message above, there's nothing wrong with not wanting to have children. If you don't want children, that's fine, don't have any.

However, having children and having a high powered career are not mutually exclusive. I know plenty of people at the top echelons of their professions who have children.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM

664 posts, read 774,020 times
I was unaware that I needed any reason for not having kids?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Philosophy