Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 11:16 AM

10,647 posts, read 12,255,081 times

Advertisements

I just don't know how I feel about the city right now.
Is the glass half-empty, or half-full?

1) (Old news but....) We have a police commissioner that was picked from Oregon, and a city no where near comparable to Philly in size or crime stats. Has she been up to the job?

2) Now, we're going to have a school superintendent from a school district 1/10th the size of Philly's and no previous ties to the area at all. He's getting a 5 year contract -- from a district with about 20,000 kids and $190 million budget -- to Philly with 216 schools, 115,000 students, and a $3.9 BILLion budget. Are you kidding me?

3) I was on the Schuylkill Expressway yesterday for the first time in months. The pot holes are ridiculous. The number, the size, the depth. The road is like an obstacle course. The worst condition I've experience in years. I don't take the expressway often, at all. Maybe 3 times a year. Yesterday the road's condition just shocked me. And the pot holes elsewhere in the city are also just as bad, and numerous.

4) Then there's the corruption and bribery trials of local leaders.

5) The crime.

I suppose I see the city's potential. And of course there's the thread about the plan for Philly by 2035.
I just don't know what our leaders are thinking.
I'm Philly born and raised, and still live here. Although I really don't see any plus to it anymore.

It was actually the news about the schools pick, (THIS is what actually blew my mind. HE is the pick?) -- AND the pot holes, AND hearing about a day care robbery, AND the bribery trial -- all in one day that just was too much for me, I guess.

I just don't know what to make of it, sometimes. That's all.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:52 PM

844 posts, read 709,870 times
It truly is too bad, hoping some real leadership could change things but dont think its too likely

Old 04-02-2022, 03:52 PM

2,503 posts, read 4,474,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I suppose I see the city's potential. And of course there's the thread about the plan for Philly by 2035.
I'm Philly born and raised, and still live here. Although I really don't see any plus to it anymore.

It was actually the news about the schools pick, (THIS is what actually blew my mind. HE is the pick?) -- AND the pot holes, AND hearing about a day care robbery, AND the bribery trial -- all in one day that just was too much for me, I guess.

Your city is poor. Dreadfully poor. Per capita income is not even close to cities that are doing better. Income matters. You can't be the poorest big city for decades, and think that has no impact.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:45 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,155,173 times
Went to the Weaver's Way Market yesterday and had a great time.
I got a little jealous of how posh, quiet, a and green the neighborhood was and I live in the county. The suburbs get fetishized a great deal on this forum when there's neighborhoods in Philadelphia that blow away any mainline town out of the water.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:59 PM

9,426 posts, read 13,117,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Went to the Weaver's Way Market yesterday and had a great time.
The one in Chestnut Hill or Mt. Airy?

Quote:
I got a little jealous of how posh, quiet, a and green the neighborhood was and I live in the county. The suburbs get fetishized a great deal on this forum when there's neighborhoods in Philadelphia that blow away any mainline town out of the water.
Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy easily beat out the suburbs where people inject heroin in broad daylight.

Old 04-02-2022, 08:42 PM

2,249 posts, read 1,155,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
The one in Chestnut Hill or Mt. Airy?

Chestnut Hill and Mt. Airy easily beat out the suburbs where people inject heroin in broad daylight.
Mt. Airy. I usually stop by on my way home from the doctors office nearby. I might’ve bumped into you there?

Old 04-02-2022, 10:39 PM

481 posts, read 283,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

1) (Old news but....) We have a police commissioner that was picked from Oregon, and a city no where near comparable to Philly in size or crime stats. Has she been up to the job?

2) Now, we're going to have a school superintendent from a school district 1/10th the size of Philly's and no previous ties to the area at all. He's getting a 5 year contract -- from a district with about 20,000 kids and $190 million budget -- to Philly with 216 schools, 115,000 students, and a $3.9 BILLion budget. Are you kidding me?

3) I was on the Schuylkill Expressway yesterday for the first time in months. The pot holes are ridiculous. The number, the size, the depth. The road is like an obstacle course. The worst condition I've experience in years. I don't take the expressway often, at all. Maybe 3 times a year. Yesterday the road's condition just shocked me. And the pot holes elsewhere in the city are also just as bad, and numerous.

4) Then there's the corruption and bribery trials of local leaders.

5) The crime.

None of these are about your experience living in Philly besides potholes. Do you enjoy living here? I live in Center City and it's doing great lately. So many people and tourists out everywhere, lots of new restaurants opening, and the new development continues. I love living here, and it's a big city experience few other American cities can match - especially for so cheap.

1. The police commissioner definitely doesn't seem qualified enough for her job. That said - it's pretty clear the police are practically on strike. They don't walk the beat, don't direct traffic when needed (such as when lanes/streets are closed for work), and allow crimes to be committed in front of them. Krasner sucks as well. Additionally, COVID has impacted many cities the same way. Philly's crime rate mirrors national trends, both good and bad. Over 30 American cities set homicide records last year.

2. Give him a chance. The guy from Baltimore would've been a disaster, Baltimore City is one of the worst school districts in the country.

3. I agree. The potholes are terrible.I walk 98% of the time but just here in Washington Square, they are everywhere.

4. Local leaders are corrupt here, and in most large cities.

5. Crime - See above. Up everywhere, especially in large cities. Doesn't make it ok, but unless you're just done with city life, it probably won't be that much better in most American cities of similar size or bigger. This is anecdotal of course, but it has not impacted myself or any of my friends (as of now).

It sounds like you should avoid the news for a week, as everything you mentioned impacting your experience seems to have come from there... besides potholes. If you enjoy living your life here based on your OWN experience, maybe you'll start feeling better about things. If it makes no difference, it sounds like you may want to try somewhere new.

Old 04-03-2022, 07:52 AM

9,426 posts, read 13,117,479 times
Quote:
Mt. Airy. I usually stop by on my way home from the doctors office nearby. I might’ve bumped into you there?
Not I. I haven’t been to that Weavers Way in ages, or the one in Chestnut Hill, for that matter.

Incidentally, the best Weavers Way, by far, is in Ambler. I think Ambler will really take off in the next ten years a la Doylestown and Media. The new Mattison Estate development should help bring things to the next level.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:47 AM

393 posts, read 275,033 times
Are potholes on the Schuylkill Expressway even the city’s responsibility? I’m almost certain that’s PennDot. I’m not saying the roads are good in the city but you can’t blame the city for potholes on interstates.

Old 04-03-2022, 09:00 AM

10,647 posts, read 12,255,081 times
^^ That my be true.
And heaven knows Philly gets soooo much respect in Harrisburg, that when Philly leaders go ask for money or a service, we get it. (sarcasm)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia