Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 10:25 AM

840 posts, read 695,856 times

Advertisements

Responsible parenting for generations to come, with a focus on impulse control/anger management in kids/teens perhaps taught in schools is what Philly needs badly. I understand it being a very poor city, yet poor areas elsewhere arent as overrun with the level of violent crime. Its multiple times a day theres stories on shootings with ## of rounds fired etc-. being poor is no excuse not to instill values in your kids.

Other than the drug shoots here and there it seems like its always neighborhood beefs between groups that turn violent and end up killing some innocent person (hence impulse/anger control)

Old 04-06-2022, 02:53 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,183,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Responsible parenting for generations to come, with a focus on impulse control/anger management in kids/teens perhaps taught in schools is what Philly needs badly. I understand it being a very poor city, yet poor areas elsewhere arent as overrun with the level of violent crime. Its multiple times a day theres stories on shootings with ## of rounds fired etc-. being poor is no excuse not to instill values in your kids.

Other than the drug shoots here and there it seems like its always neighborhood beefs between groups that turn violent and end up killing some innocent person (hence impulse/anger control)
Short of perhaps Detroit, there is no other larger city with such a huge swath of poor communities. The pandemic sadly only magnified the desperation and anger that exists in such neighborhoods.

In previous conversations on this point, I agreed that personal family responsibility would play a role but also stressed the importance of community reinvestment, something which would require the assistance of both Harrisburg and Washington: the latter may make a positive difference soon when the city receives funding from recent federal legislation.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:31 PM

10,614 posts, read 12,147,558 times
lpranger467, couldn't agree or rep you more.

Poverty -- and "community investment -- have nothing to do with parents teaching their children morals, values, and you can't use violence to respond to perceived slights or even the worst verbal insults.

But then again, some adults don't have emotional intelligence or self control, or anger management skills either.

Old 04-06-2022, 04:36 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,126,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Short of perhaps Detroit, there is no other larger city with such a huge swath of poor communities. The pandemic sadly only magnified the desperation and anger that exists in such neighborhoods.

In previous conversations on this point, I agreed that personal family responsibility would play a role but also stressed the importance of community reinvestment, something which would require the assistance of both Harrisburg and Washington: the latter may make a positive difference soon when the city receives funding from recent federal legislation.
Yeah. New Orleans, Cleveland and Baltimore don't exist.

Old 04-06-2022, 06:03 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,615,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
lpranger467, couldn't agree or rep you more.

Poverty -- and "community investment -- have nothing to do with parents teaching their children morals, values, and you can't use violence to respond to perceived slights or even the worst verbal insults.

But then again, some adults don't have emotional intelligence or self control, or anger management skills either.
I don't think we want to start a huge sociological debate, but parental involvement and community investment are not mutually exclusive.

The fact of the matter is that the most crime-ridden neighborhoods wouldn't be where they are today without many external forces of conscious disinivestment. Social breakdown only ensued AFTER that disinvestment.

Crime will always have to be addressed from multiple angles.

Why is it that so many people have a hard time admitting that extreme, one-sided approaches of either "lock them all up" or "hug a drug dealer" are both destined to fail?

Last edited by Duderino; 04-06-2022 at 06:21 PM..

Old 04-06-2022, 06:10 PM

840 posts, read 695,856 times
Look at small town Appalachian, or rural Alabama/Georgia (even pre 1960's). Dirt poor, sometime grandma was mom and pa. What was present was a sense of order and discipline. Everyone looks for some handout from Harrisburg/DC etc when in reality it starts at home. Disinvestment doesnt equate to crime as long as there is guidance in the home.

Blaming lack of handouts is a cop out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I don't think we want to start a huge sociological debate, but parental involvement and community investment are not mutually exclusive.

The fact of the matter is that the most crime-ridden neighborhoods wouldn't be where they are today without many external forces of consciousness disinivestment. Social breakdown only ensued AFTER that disinvestment.

Crime will always have to be addressed from multiple angles.

Why is it that so many people have a hard time admitting that extreme, one-sided approaches of either "lock them all up" or "hug a drug dealer" are both destined to fail?

Old 04-07-2022, 04:18 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,110,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Yeah. New Orleans, Cleveland and Baltimore don't exist.
The original sentence said "no larger city." And not even Detroit is as large as Philadelphia. This city remains the poorest of the nation's 10 largest cities — which, btw, is not the same thing as "the poorest big city in America," as the stat is often rendered here. If, as I do, you accept 500,000 as the population threshold for a "big city," there are several other big cities that have more poverty. Detroit is one of those. Baltimore is not.

There is, however, some good news regarding that stat: The poverty rate in the city of Philadelphia is inching downward. It was as high as 25 percent; as of the 2020 Census, it stands at 23.1.

The poorest big city in the country as of the 2020 Census was Detroit, whose 33.2% poverty rate nosed out Cleveland's 33.0%. New Orleans' poverty rate of 23.0% is almost the same as Philadelphia's. Baltimore's is a mere 20%.

I think it would be interesting to compare the overall and violent crime rates for these five cities — as well as Chicago, another city where crime seems to make the news a lot. (Its poverty rate of 17.1% is substantially below all of these cities'.)

But once again: How many of you have read that ProPublica article yet? "Community involvement" need not necessarily require state assistance; many of the intervention, activity and de-escalation groups described in that story were homegrown, organized by community residents themselves. Yes, they cost some money to run, but not a lot, and the needed funds could be raised by other means. (lpranger467: And, like the adult mentoring groups Big Brothers and Big Sisters, these groups provide what the kids' parents didn't, with some success.)

But I'll conclude by echoing Duderino: It's not either-or, it's both-and. But we should strive for the preventative stuff first and rely on enforcement and punishment as backups. The get-tough-on-crime crowd has the order reversed.

Old 04-07-2022, 06:38 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,615,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Look at small town Appalachian, or rural Alabama/Georgia (even pre 1960's). Dirt poor, sometime grandma was mom and pa. What was present was a sense of order and discipline. Everyone looks for some handout from Harrisburg/DC etc when in reality it starts at home. Disinvestment doesnt equate to crime as long as there is guidance in the home.

Blaming lack of handouts is a cop out.
The biggest problem with your analogy is that Appalachia and inner-city destitution are not remotely comparable. And yes, I've seen both up-close on multiple occasions.

And if you think it's a "handout" to have enough food, or a safe and comfortable place to go to school, or to be able to pay for your heating bill, or to make sure young children aren't exposed to constant trauma, then I'd fundamentally question your understanding of the word "handout." These are human necessities.

No one should ever expect the social outcomes in North Philly to be the same as Eastern Kentucky. That's pretty absurd.

Last edited by Duderino; 04-07-2022 at 06:47 AM..

Old 04-07-2022, 07:52 AM

2,237 posts, read 1,126,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The original sentence said "no larger city." And not even Detroit is as large as Philadelphia. This city remains the poorest of the nation's 10 largest cities — which, btw, is not the same thing as "the poorest big city in America," as the stat is often rendered here. If, as I do, you accept 500,000 as the population threshold for a "big city," there are several other big cities that have more poverty. Detroit is one of those. Baltimore is not.

There is, however, some good news regarding that stat: The poverty rate in the city of Philadelphia is inching downward. It was as high as 25 percent; as of the 2020 Census, it stands at 23.1.

The poorest big city in the country as of the 2020 Census was Detroit, whose 33.2% poverty rate nosed out Cleveland's 33.0%. New Orleans' poverty rate of 23.0% is almost the same as Philadelphia's. Baltimore's is a mere 20%.

I think it would be interesting to compare the overall and violent crime rates for these five cities — as well as Chicago, another city where crime seems to make the news a lot. (Its poverty rate of 17.1% is substantially below all of these cities'.)

But once again: How many of you have read that ProPublica article yet? "Community involvement" need not necessarily require state assistance; many of the intervention, activity and de-escalation groups described in that story were homegrown, organized by community residents themselves. Yes, they cost some money to run, but not a lot, and the needed funds could be raised by other means. (lpranger467: And, like the adult mentoring groups Big Brothers and Big Sisters, these groups provide what the kids' parents didn't, with some success.)

But I'll conclude by echoing Duderino: It's not either-or, it's both-and. But we should strive for the preventative stuff first and rely on enforcement and punishment as backups. The get-tough-on-crime crowd has the order reversed.

Would be nice to see how Philadelphia ranks with the other cities in "deep/generational poverty". I can't find anything online that measures cities based off of it.

Old 04-07-2022, 08:01 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,110,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Would be nice to see how Philadelphia ranks with the other cities in "deep/generational poverty". I can't find anything online that measures cities based off of it.
I'm not aware of any site that offers statistics on multi-generational poverty. If there are any, I'd be interested in knowing about them.

Deep poverty, which I think the government defines as incomes in the bottom 10 percent, is something else. I know there are organizations out there that produce stats on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia