Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 06:07 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Not all houses in Haddonfield would have that high of a property tax. Most would be much lower. The property tax can be offset or partially offset by writing off the city wage tax, as a NJ resident, on income tax. I would know because I could never make a move to Pennsylvania work in my favor, financially. It varies from person to person, but there's a reason that some people stay on the other side of the river. I knew someone who moved from Cherry Hill to the Main Line, because of his job & he stated that he would be better off, financially to stay, but he had to cut down the commute, to the Main Line. Haddonfield is a perfectly good option & a quicker commute to Center City. I suggested it as an option IF the OP didn't find what they want on the other side of the river.
There's an effort going on to eliminate that tax break in NJ so anyone moving to this metro needs to know that going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There's an effort going on to eliminate that tax break in NJ so anyone moving to this metro needs to know that going forward.
Christie tried to eliminate it & got huge blowback. He dropped it like a hot potato. You probably remember when the southern counties attempted to secede & form a separate state. I guarantee that if they take that away, secession will come up again. Last time the secession question was removed from ballots in Camden & Gloucester counties next time, people will be prepared.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:10 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Christie tried to eliminate it & got huge blowback. He dropped it like a hot potato. You probably remember when the southern counties attempted to secede & form a separate state. I guarantee that if they take that away, secession will come up again. Last time the secession question was removed from ballots in Camden & Gloucester counties next time, people will be prepared.
Hmmm, thanks. I had not heard this. Seemed like such a bone-headed idea. Nope, I had not heard about any S. Jersey secession talk either.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:24 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Haddonfield is a cute town, for sure. It is just so self contained, you drive 5 miles outside the town and its all ugly strip malls and abandoned shopping centers with 6 lane awful roadways. It is quite ugly. And for the high cost of taxes, it is just not worth it too me. The PA side has more character and history and given the budget, I would say NJ is not really the best option.

Haddonfield is great. But there are better options is all I am saying. Given the OP price range is so high I would consider much more valuable neighborhoods. It is worth noting that I make suggestions based on price points. And when you compare options, in Philly metro NJ does not have one 'million dollar' neighborhood. Not even Morristown made the cut. Again they are lovely towns, but given his budget, there are much better options.

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/21/...sive-zip-codes

Last edited by rowhomecity; 10-31-2017 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-31-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hmmm, thanks. I had not heard this. Seemed like such a bone-headed idea. Nope, I had not heard about any S. Jersey secession talk either.
The secession question was on the ballots in 1980. The state removed the question in Camden & Gloucester counties. It's been simmering ever since. I didn't know a soul who didn't plan to vote for secession.

They took the tax break off for one year & there was such an uproar that they put it back on, a couple of years before the attempted secession. No one made an attempt to take it off again until Christie tried & realized that it was a very bad idea.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Haddonfield is a cute town, for sure. It is just so self contained, you drive 5 miles outside the town and its all ugly strip malls and abandoned shopping centers with 6 lane awful roadways. It is quite ugly. And for the high cost of taxes, it is just not worth it too me. The PA side has more character and history and given the budget, I would say NJ is not really the best option.

Haddonfield is great. But there are better options is all I am saying. Given the OP price range is so high I would consider much more valuable neighborhoods. It is worth noting that I make suggestions based on price points. And when you compare options, in Philly metro NJ does not have one 'million dollar' neighborhood. Not even Morristown made the cut. Again they are lovely towns, but given his budget, there are much better options.

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/8/21/...sive-zip-codes
I lived in Cherry Hill for decades. You're allowed your opinion but what you are saying is not quite true. You also posted your idea of property taxes for Collingswood & Haddonfield, using the same exact figures in 2 separate threads. Each town has its own rate, so it seems to me that you made it up.

I don't post negatives about towns on the PA side. You should not do it about places in South Jersey, in my opinion. You posted that you don't like the dry towns. That's your opinion, & you're welcome to it. People can take PATCO into the city 24/7. There are a couple of places to buy liquor &/or imbide just across the borough line from Haddonfield. People can walk to them from almost any locations in the borough. There are places to drive to that aren't far, too.

Morristown is in North Jersey & has nothing to do with this board.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
I lived in Cherry Hill for decades. You're allowed your opinion but what you are saying is not quite true. You also posted your idea of property taxes for Collingswood & Haddonfield, using the same exact figures in 2 separate threads. Each town has its own rate, so it seems to me that you made it up.

I don't post negatives about towns on the PA side. You should not do it about places in South Jersey, in my opinion. You posted that you don't like the dry towns. That's your opinion, & you're welcome to it. People can take PATCO into the city 24/7. There are a couple of places to buy liquor &/or imbide just across the borough line from Haddonfield. People can walk to them from almost any locations in the borough. There are places to drive to that aren't far, too.

Morristown is in North Jersey & has nothing to do with this board.

This is the PA forum, and I am informing the OP of the area surrounding Haddonfield, which is totally accurate in terms of 6 lane roads with strip malls that are half abandoned. (Rt. 70) That is a fact. The area surrounding Haddonfield is much more suburban, in terms of strip malls and mega roads. Which cuts out the character. Haddonfield is a lovely town, with a nice main street. I also did comment that. But it is not the only nice town in the region.

It is also factual that the millage rates are higher in the NJ municipalities. You did not bother to verify the information I posted with links comparing millage rates from comparable NJ and PA municipalities, you just skimmed and assumed I made it up. Which is false.

I have been in the region for years and I am very familiar with both sides. This is the PA forum, and it is fair assessment to compare tax rates between the states, and to have an unfavorable opinion of NJ, on this matter. It is also fair to say that the municipalities have more of a suburban character with mega roads and strip malls, because this is true. If OP's want more information they can post to NJ forum. I do not go to that forum. If a reference is made in regards to the 3 desirable towns S. Jersey has, I will comment and educate in regards to tax rates, and lack of character in terms of strip malls and 3 lane roads with jughandles. I am simply stating facts, and given OP's price range topping $2M, I would find it more desirable to live in a community with far more character, and it is why I made a point of reference to that matter. Driving along Montgomery Ave in Lower Merion (a main commercial corridor) and driving along Rt. 70, there is no comparison on the difference of character. Noting character is completely reasonable assessment in terms of real estate.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 10-31-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
This is the PA forum, and I am informing the OP of the area surrounding Haddonfield, which is totally accurate in terms of 6 lane roads with strip malls that are half abandoned. (Rt. 70) That is a fact. The area surrounding Haddonfield is much more suburban, in terms of strip malls and mega roads. Which cuts out the character. Haddonfield is a lovely town, with a nice main street. I also did comment that. But it is not the only nice town in the region.

It is also factual that the millage rates are higher in the NJ municipalities. You did not bother to verify the information I posted with links comparing millage rates from comparable NJ and PA municipalities, you just skimmed and assumed I made it up. Which is false.

I have been in the region for years and I am very familiar with both sides. This is the PA forum, and it is fair assessment to compare tax rates between the states, and to have an unfavorable opinion of NJ, on this matter. It is also fair to say that the municipalities have more of a suburban character with mega roads and strip malls, because this is true. If OP's want more information they can post to NJ forum. I do not go to that forum.
Maybe you should read that board. People make suggestions on both sides of the river & don't attack the other side. The OP of this board did not ask about the Jersey side, but asked about two other cities. I made the suggestion of one town on the other side of the river if they didn't see what they wanted on the Pennsylvania side. You seem to feel that you are entitled to rip up places in South Jersey. If you had just left it alone it would be one post just sitting there & possibly ignored, which would be just fine.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should read that board. People make suggestions on both sides of the river & don't attack the other side. The OP of this board did not ask about the Jersey side, but asked about two other cities. I made the suggestion of one town on the other side of the river if they didn't see what they wanted on the Pennsylvania side. You seem to feel that you are entitled to rip up places in South Jersey. If you had just left it alone it would be one post just sitting there & possibly ignored, which would be just fine.

I am not attacking, I am making fair assessments based on facts.
Tax rates & Character are both fair assessments. It is a fact that nearly every municipality in S. NJ has a higher millage rate. Also given the OP price range of $2Million, it is also fair to make an assessment that there is more housing stock with communities of more character on the PA side that are transit accessible. (Montgomery Ave. v. Rt. 70 is just one small example). That is a fact.

It also is a fact that Haddonfield is loosing population. Which is troubling for a nice town along a transit corridor close to a major thriving city. But it is loosing population. And in many ways it is attributed to taxes. My point is, it is fair for me to give an assessment, it is not attacking. I have a family friend who just moved out of Haddonfield after living their over 25 years and into PA (because of taxes), I am very familiar with it. It is a trend that is growing. As I factually stated NJ has the highest out migration in the Northeast.

I am not saying the PA side is perfect, and there are many variables but when it comes to those two, it is a fair assessment of comparison.

I am not attacking anything. If someone had a price range 500k - $1M, as a buyer you would find more housing stock and availability and desirability in a town like Haddonfield. But at his price point, I would not suggest it. Simple.

Last edited by rowhomecity; 10-31-2017 at 03:58 PM..

Old 10-31-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I am not attacking, I am making fair assessments based on facts.
Tax rates & Character are both fair assessments. It is a fact that nearly every municipality in S. NJ has a higher millage rate. Also given the OP price range of $2Million, it is also fair to make an assessment that there is more housing stock with communities of more character on the PA side. (Montgomery Ave. v. Rt. 70 is just one small example). That is a fact.

I am not attacking anything. If someone had a price range 500k - $1M, as a buyer you would find more housing stock and availability and desirability in a town like Haddonfield. But at his price point, I would not suggest it. Simple.
It's also a fact that all taxes need to be taken into consideration, including the ability to write off the city wage tax in Jersey, which is not the case in Pennsylvania. The higher the wage, the more likely that the total taxes equal. Both areas are historic. The Main Line was part of the Welsh Tract. John Haddon's grant of land was taken from Newton Twp. In West Jersey.

You seem to be on the attack when you drag a North Jersey town into this thread to slam it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia