Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:30 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,987,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
What's silly about NOVA?
He is saying NOVA is similar to where OP lives now-where they are "thankfully moving away from". So to suggest somewhere similar is pretty silly and not very helpful. You seem to think sunbelt/suburbia is the best option for everyone, even when preferences explicitly state otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 10:03 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,570,731 times
So, if the OP settles for NOVA that would make them silly too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
He is saying NOVA is similar to where OP lives now-where they are "thankfully moving away from". So to suggest somewhere similar is pretty silly and not very helpful. You seem to think sunbelt/suburbia is the best option for everyone, even when preferences explicitly state otherwise.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:38 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,987,348 times
Quote:
So, if the OP settles for NOVA that would make them silly too?
Of course not-if they find somewhere that fits.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:47 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,823,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampam123 View Post
Hi There!

My young family will be leaving Dallas within 6 months with 3 relocation options: Philadelphia, Washington D.C. or Atlanta. We are not familiar with any option, we are both from Switzerland. We lived in Highland Park for 8 years and are thankfully ready to leave. We are planning visits to each area over the next few months, but I want to see opinions from area residents as to what might work best for us.

We are a very active couple, fitness is very important to us. We love an exciting, open minded, culturally diverse area. Highland Park is aesthetically beautiful, but Dallas lacked an energy that we are seeking. I feel that we want a big city with food, shopping, history, the arts, recreation, and people from all walks of life at at our fingertips. Coming from Zurich and another 3 years in London, Dallas was a major culture shock. We have always resided in the suburbs during our time in the states and are still open to that, but also open to downtown living, pending we can find a nice home with good schools and a recreation space in our budget. By the looks of it Philadelphia and DC look to be significantly more expensive for what we are used to.

Job location would be in Center City Philadelphia, McLean Virginia, or Midtown Atlanta. We are willing to commute an hour outside of that target location.

I can provide more information if I was too vague, but we don't quite know what we want, just something different then Dallas. Do people typically post in every city they are looking at? Philadelphia popped up first, so I posted here. Thank again!

When are you moving? -- Spring 2018
Where are you coming from? -- Dallas, TX
Why are you moving? -- Work
Where will you be working? -- Open.. potentially Philadelphia, DC, Atlanta
Have you been here yet? -- No

Will you buy or rent? -- Prefer to buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? -- House or condo, and can go up to $2M, but prefer $1.5M.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? -- PA or Philadelphia

Are you married or single? Do you have children? -- Couple with 1 young daughter
Do you prefer public or private schools? -- Either or, as long as they are top notch
Do you have pets? -- 3 cats
Do you want or need a yard? -- Either a yard or some sort of recreation space.
Are you keeping a car? -- We have 3 cars, will gladly get rid of some.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? -- We are open at this point.

What do you want to be closest to?

I want everything close by, either walk or short drive.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Diverse

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water?

Wine
I'd suggest that you look at the suggested city neighborhoods & the Main Line. If you don't find quite what you want, take a look a Haddonfield in South Jersey. It's a small borough, dating back to the early 1700s. It was a result of a land grant to John Haddon. Mr Haddon had no sons, so his daughter, Elizabeth, was sent over to establish the settlement. It's very walkable & has a stop for the PATCO train. It's about a 15 or 16 minute ride to Center City, during rush hour, on the PATCO train. The schools are very good & the downtown is good. Whatever shopping is not available in Haddonfield is available in the next town, Cherry Hill, &/or in Center City Philadelphia. It's also a dry town, but there are liquor stores within walking distance & within a short drive. Most restaurants are BYOB.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:05 PM

1,786 posts, read 1,570,731 times
It's silly if I suggest it but not silly if it fits the OP.

Quote:
So to suggest somewhere similar is pretty silly and not very helpful.

Quote:
Of course not-if they find somewhere that fits.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:10 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,905,906 times
Quote:
No, it's silly that you suggested it because it is opposite to what the OP asked for. I'm not sure I understand where the confusion here is other than that you are continuously baffled at anybody who doesn't want a half acre lot and a car commute to work.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:33 PM

37,360 posts, read 39,784,996 times
Quote:
How are you so silly? Is it for the chuckles?

Old 10-25-2017, 07:17 AM

6 posts, read 10,005 times
Thank you again! We have our visit to Philadelphia planned the weekend after Thanksgiving! We will be staying in Center City and plan a drive to the Main Line, Chestnut Hill, Media, and West Chester areas. Washington will be immediately after!

Old 10-30-2017, 02:57 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,342,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'd suggest that you look at the suggested city neighborhoods & the Main Line. If you don't find quite what you want, take a look a Haddonfield in South Jersey. It's a small borough, dating back to the early 1700s. It was a result of a land grant to John Haddon. Mr Haddon had no sons, so his daughter, Elizabeth, was sent over to establish the settlement. It's very walkable & has a stop for the PATCO train. It's about a 15 or 16 minute ride to Center City, during rush hour, on the PATCO train. The schools are very good & the downtown is good. Whatever shopping is not available in Haddonfield is available in the next town, Cherry Hill, &/or in Center City Philadelphia. It's also a dry town, but there are liquor stores within walking distance & within a short drive. Most restaurants are BYOB.

Do not move to S. Jersey. The taxes are insane. $300,000 home has taxes over 10,000 a year. Haddonfield is cute not doubt, but it is very contained, Southeast PA has a more historic feel with far more character. I have a family friend who just moved out of Haddonfield and to PA. Because the taxes are way too high. He said the best decision he's ever made. His property taxes in Haddonfield were $32,000 a year. Over 10 years he told me, by moving to PA, he will save over $200,000. And he moved to a top rated neighborhood with excellent schools here in PA.

Just to give some insight. The top 25 zipcodes of Metro Philadelphia (in terms of wealth/school performance/income). Only 1 is in NJ. 1 is in DE. And the rest are in Southeast PA.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:17 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,823,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Do not move to S. Jersey. The taxes are insane. $300,000 home has taxes over 10,000 a year. Haddonfield is cute not doubt, but it is very contained, Southeast PA has a more historic feel with far more character. I have a family friend who just moved out of Haddonfield and to PA. Because the taxes are way too high. He said the best decision he's ever made. His property taxes in Haddonfield were $32,000 a year. Over 10 years he told me, by moving to PA, he will save over $200,000. And he moved to a top rated neighborhood with excellent schools here in PA.

Just to give some insight. The top 25 zipcodes of Metro Philadelphia (in terms of wealth/school performance/income). Only 1 is in NJ. 1 is in DE. And the rest are in Southeast PA.
Not all houses in Haddonfield would have that high of a property tax. Most would be much lower. The property tax can be offset or partially offset by writing off the city wage tax, as a NJ resident, on income tax. I would know because I could never make a move to Pennsylvania work in my favor, financially. It varies from person to person, but there's a reason that some people stay on the other side of the river. I knew someone who moved from Cherry Hill to the Main Line, because of his job & he stated that he would be better off, financially to stay, but he had to cut down the commute, to the Main Line. Haddonfield is a perfectly good option & a quicker commute to Center City. I suggested it as an option IF the OP didn't find what they want on the other side of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia