Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 06:50 PM

37,169 posts, read 39,451,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
OK, gotcha. See my comment upthread about SEPTA running service outside its service area. If there is no public transit agency serving Pottsville, either the borough or Schuylkill County would probably have to buy into the project.

Since the breakup of the Penn Central and the creation of Conrail put local intraregional rail service in the hands of the various metropolitan transit authorities, unless SEPTA and New Jersey Transit reach some sort of agreement to operate through local service, you will be changing trains at Trenton for as far in the future as any of us might be able to see. kidphilly, please copy. Especially because, the way transit service is divvied up now, New Jersey Transit trains could not legally pick up passengers traveling between points in Pennsylvania, nor SEPTA trains pick up passengers traveling between points in New Jersey. Which would mean that absent a joint operating agreement, NJT NEC trains would run express from Trenton to 30th Street. SEPTA trains would have the added burden of having to negotiate access into New York Penn Station, which the New York MTA controls for purposes of intraregional commuter service, unless they terminated their runs at either Newark or Secaucus Transfer.

Given that a round trip from end of wire to end of route in just about all cases (Pottsville a possible exception) would be less than 186 miles, it's conceivable that battery EMUs could work to extend service back to non-electrified territory. And now that the FRA no longer requires that passenger rail coaches on mainline railroads be built like tanks, they could be practical too.

Why do you think Pottstown wants service to return?

I think you have a point here, but that would require regional thinking of a sort we've only just barely mastered within the one region of Greater Philadelphia.
Right, the municipalities will have to buy into SEPTA which isn’t that crazy of an idea as there were proposals for such before. Part of this is that this buy-in is more than just monetary, though that’s important, but also lays the groundwork for investment into mass transit for the region for both state and federal levels. The expansion of the greater Philadelphia commuter shed and the demonstration of SEPTA’s value can go a long way in helping drum up general support and funding and it’s a mitzvah of sorts to lend a hand to these ailing older cities as a continued sink into depopulation and poverty won’t help anyone.

SEPTA should definitely work out something with NJT. The same with commuter rail systems around NYC. The roll out of potentially compatible rfid media fare expands the possibility. It’s like the suica and passemo transit pass systems operated by different agencies in Japan in different regions that are compatible with each other though issued from different regions.

Battery EMUs can potentially also charge at select portions of the line that are outside of the current continually electrified parts. The vicinity of stations are a good place to recharge especially the endpoints where the trains do a turnaround. A potential technology is also battery swapping rather than recharging.

Pottstown and Pottsville have signalled a desire for rail service in the past though there has been difficulty getting federal funding which put the kibosh on former plans. Perhaps a new plan and maybe with more state support is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 07:39 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Wharton pushed Harvard out of first place in this year’s ranking of the top US business schools by US News & WR: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/11/us-n...pyToPasteboard

Good bragging news for the city. Sadly, good bragging news for the bragger-in-chief, as well.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:06 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Wharton pushed Harvard out of first place in this year’s ranking of the top US business schools by US News & WR: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/11/us-n...pyToPasteboard

Good bragging news for the city. Sadly, good bragging news for the bragger-in-chief, as well.
Great news! It's about their MBA program. What's his name didn't get one of those... so just another lie if he tries to brag about it.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
https://philly.curbed.com/2019/3/12/...-dilworth-park

Does anyone else see this "outcry" as ridiculous? Most people signing this petition probably don't even know what the CCD is or how it functions and how profit raising in public spaces works...

This to me seems like yet another anti-Starbucks movement, and what irritates me the most is the whole mentality of "I don't like this idea, so it shouldn't happen and no one can have it".

And I know there are several coffee shops in the area, but

1) its an urban city, there are allowed to be several options in close proximity.
2) Some of the options are across a very busy crosswalk. Not everyone wants to or has the ability to walk across get coffee and come back.
3) You don't have to go there.

Where was this outrage when the city floundered millions in its police headquarters relocation, or council prerogative?

I wish people would get this involved with real issues the city is facing... (head-smack)

Old 03-12-2019, 11:58 AM

N.Y.-based boutique hotelier sets sights on Philly’s Old City

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190313.html

I like this idea.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:41 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Does anyone else see this "outcry" as ridiculous? Most people signing this petition probably don't even know what the CCD is or how it functions and how profit raising in public spaces works...

This to me seems like yet another anti-Starbucks movement, and what irritates me the most is the whole mentality of "I don't like this idea, so it shouldn't happen and no one can have it".

1) its an urban city, there are allowed to be several options in close proximity.
2) Some of the options are across a very busy crosswalk. Not everyone wants to or has the ability to walk across get coffee and come back.

Where was this outrage when the city floundered millions in its police headquarters relocation, or council prerogative?

I wish people would get this involved with real issues the city is facing... (head-smack)
Frankly, I think this particular outrage misplaced too. I could go off on a rant about privatization of the public realm, but I think there are bigger fish to fry too, and we can get back to that once we've taken care of those other things.

There's better coffee than Starbucks out there, and a place across from Dilworth Park serves some of it. If I want it, I can go there; nobody's making me buy Starbucks, not even if I want to drink it in Dilworth Park. Besides, Starbucks treats its employees very well, so why shouldn't I encourage their behavior by drinking their coffee?

Not to mention that this is actually not a deal between the Center City District and Starbucks, but rather between the CCD and Comcast's catering company, which in turn has a license to sell Starbucks coffee in its cafes (like the one across Dilworth Park from where this kiosk is going up). They're directing their ire at the wrong target - they should be taking it out on the CCD if they're upset.

Then they can tell Paul Levy how they're going to raise money for the plaza's upkeep. I'm sure they have a GoFundMe all ready to go.

But ICYMI, councilmanic prerogative is now an Issue in this year's city primary.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

There are three other coffee shops essentially right across Dilworth Park from there. Who is this Conrad Benner dude? And, yes, it's ridiculous.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:55 PM

14,195 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There are three other coffee shops essentially right across Dilworth Park from there. Who is this Conrad Benner dude? And, yes, it's ridiculous.
Conrad Benner might well be considered the "curator" of Philadelphia's street art "gallery."

He runs a blog called Streets Dept that contains articles on graffiti, street art, urban public space and its appearance, and things like that.

Yes, We've Met.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Conrad Benner might well be considered the "curator" of Philadelphia's street art "gallery."

He runs a blog called Streets Dept that contains articles on graffiti, street art, urban public space and its appearance, and things like that.

Yes, We've Met.
So someone without a real job and too much time on their hands. Got it.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I know there are several nearby, but its also a major city, I don't see the travesty behind having 5 coffee shops around the park... Is it really keeping people up at night? Like I said before, if only people would get this involved at running Clarke out of office... Or calling Kenyetta out for fake posing with a neighborhood group cleaning the city streets in a pinstripe suit (as it he gives a f***).

Quote:
Frankly, I think this particular outrage misplaced too. I could go off on a rant about privatization of the public realm, but I think there are bigger fish to fry too, and we can get back to that once we've taken care of those other things.

There's better coffee than Starbucks out there, and a place across from Dilworth Park serves some of it. If I want it, I can go there; nobody's making me buy Starbucks, not even if I want to drink it in Dilworth Park. Besides, Starbucks treats its employees very well, so why shouldn't I encourage their behavior by drinking their coffee?

Not to mention that this is actually not a deal between the Center City District and Starbucks, but rather between the CCD and Comcast's catering company, which in turn has a license to sell Starbucks coffee in its cafes (like the one across Dilworth Park from where this kiosk is going up). They're directing their ire at the wrong target - they should be taking it out on the CCD if they're upset.

Then they can tell Paul Levy how they're going to raise money for the plaza's upkeep. I'm sure they have a GoFundMe all ready to go.

But ICYMI, councilmanic prerogative is now an Issue in this year's city primary.
That could be a real issue, BUT this is a Starbucks thing. As I said most people who signed that petition don't even know what the CCD is, how these relationships work, and that this isn't even Starbucks.

And I agree with 2nd paragraph. On the FB group I comment on, an older woman made a great point. She said something along the lines of not everyone has the ability to walk across the street to get coffee and come back due to age, mobility, having kids with them, etc. It keeps people in the park longer and provides another option. I don't think you can have too many options in the heart of CC, unless business begins to cannibalize, and in this case it won't.

If the public/ private relationship is an issue would people go this nuts if La Colombe opened a kiosk here instead? I think not...

And yes, I was aware that this isn't even Starbucks, its Comcasts catering comparing Brulee (I believe), again misinformed people with too much time on their hands.

And if people want to play the locally owned game, isn't Comcast a locally grown and owned company? Along with their catering company?

Get over it people.

Quote:
So someone without a real job and too much time on their hands. Got it.
Pretty much. I have gotten into several debates/ arguments with him on FB in a Philadelphia development group, most recently this silly Starbucks things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia