Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 09:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Design firm hired to plan private garden over rail trench seen as future extension of ‘Philly’s High Line’

https://www.philly.com/real-estate/c...-20190401.html
Hoo-ray!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 11:16 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...ican-airlines/

Good to see American Airlines investing in PHL.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Anyone see this?

https://6abc.com/traffic/philly-offi...-city/5231093/

I'm all for making QOL better in the city, but it would be good for them to come up with more of a holistic plan. Such as:

1. Reducing on-street parking.
2. Better controlling street-level dedication of lanes for buses to move more freely.
3. Making more places for people to walk free ofcars whizzing by. Market East has a nice new .1 mile strip of pedestrian-only space, but it would be nice if we could find more places like that.
4. Ticketing people for parking over crosswalks (even Uber pick-ups).
5. Creating more loading/unloading zones for taxis, uber, delivery, freight, etc.

In other words, I don't think Center City's main problem is just congestion. It needs to band-aid it's other shortcomings to make a meaningful change such as improving people movement with transit at the street level.

To Puchalsky's point, other famous cities across the world are using the fee for driving model, but not by itself. Why can't we get a holistic plan together and execute in this city?

Old 04-03-2019, 12:17 PM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Hoo-ray!!
As I understand it, this is not a good development for the future rail park plans. Am I missing something?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Anyone see this?

https://6abc.com/traffic/philly-offi...-city/5231093/

I'm all for making QOL better in the city, but it would be good for them to come up with more of a holistic plan. Such as:

1. Reducing on-street parking.
2. Better controlling street-level dedication of lanes for buses to move more freely.
3. Making more places for people to walk free ofcars whizzing by. Market East has a nice new .1 mile strip of pedestrian-only space, but it would be nice if we could find more places like that.
4. Ticketing people for parking over crosswalks (even Uber pick-ups).
5. Creating more loading/unloading zones for taxis, uber, delivery, freight, etc.

In other words, I don't think Center City's main problem is just congestion. It needs to band-aid it's other shortcomings to make a meaningful change such as improving people movement with transit at the street level.

To Puchalsky's point, other famous cities across the world are using the fee for driving model, but not by itself. Why can't we get a holistic plan together and execute in this city?
I'm all for getting a handle on the congestion problem, but making people pay to drive into certain parts of the city will cause many to not bother coming in at all if there isn't a public transit shuttle option as you suggest.

We already tried closing a street to car traffic(Chestnut) and it ended up being a factor, imo, with wrecking retail on that street.
During that time only buses were allowed on it and it predates when city bike use was prominent. A great street turned into a semi-deserted wasteland much of the time. Would something like that work nowadays?

Old 04-04-2019, 08:07 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Street malls tend to work in smaller cities. Not our Large ones. Not just Philly had a failed street mall tried. One major city I know ..... continued loosing its retail only continued. Millions spent on a drab looking redo in the early 90s. Diesel busses allowed spewing their smoke did nothing to help it.

But completely redoing it again, with green-areas and artwork and reopened to traffic was a success. Maybe its time to invest in redoing the street with new aesthetics to lure some retailers and incentives.

If status quo isn't doing much as it is. Retail is getting much harder to get to return. Just overall shrinking Nationwide. It certainly won't get easier as is and hoping it still comes in. Completion with Market St certainly hurts the longer established retail streets.

The days for high-end retailers returning may be over, once more then one already leaves and a replacement is slow, or something not maintaining its status of higher-end offerings takes its place.

Only the city offering incentives and investing in a new improved street-scape might help.

No one is saying what the city can do to try its best to push for them to think Chestnut and Walnut more again.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm all for getting a handle on the congestion problem, but making people pay to drive into certain parts of the city will cause many to not bother coming in at all if there isn't a public transit shuttle option as you suggest.

We already tried closing a street to car traffic(Chestnut) and it ended up being a factor, imo, with wrecking retail on that street.
During that time only buses were allowed on it and it predates when city bike use was prominent. A great street turned into a semi-deserted wasteland much of the time. Would something like that work nowadays?
I would be shocked if the failure of Chestnut street was not 80% due to the times and people leaving the city/loving malls as the new thing. However, if Philly were to add a new pedestrian-only street, it would make more sense to do it on a street like Sansom IMO. De-dumpster it, add trees and bike lanes, benches, etc. and you'd have something pretty great. Doesn't need to be river-to-river to start. Maybe start with the west side of Broad.

I don't even think transit should run on that street. No need when Chestnut and Walnut have major lines that require fast-moving BRT-type transit. Of course, to compliment Sansom, you'd need to remove parking from both of those other streets and add a BRT lane to move buses more efficiently. No need to have street parking on Walnut or Chestnut like it's Maybury and you're stopping at the post office before tending to your harvest...

Old 04-04-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
As I understand it, this is not a good development for the future rail park plans. Am I missing something?
So private development should not happen that will improve the visual QOL nearby?

The High Line in NY sped up most of the private development around it and in Chelsea as a whole. The Whitney Museum moved there from the Upper East side. It all became a win win.

Imo, development near or adjacent to our existing rail park may actually work to complete it.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I would be shocked if the failure of Chestnut street was not 80% due to the times and people leaving the city/loving malls as the new thing. However, if Philly were to add a new pedestrian-only street, it would make more sense to do it on a street like Sansom IMO. De-dumpster it, add trees and bike lanes, benches, etc. and you'd have something pretty great. Doesn't need to be river-to-river to start. Maybe start with the west side of Broad.

I don't even think transit should run on that street. No need when Chestnut and Walnut have major lines that require fast-moving BRT-type transit. Of course, to compliment Sansom, you'd need to remove parking from both of those other streets and add a BRT lane to move buses more efficiently. No need to have street parking on Walnut or Chestnut like it's Maybury and you're stopping at the post office before tending to your harvest...
The Chestnut St Transit Way, as it was called, did work for a while. And, yes, agreed the timing ended up being very bad because of mallification. And, if you think Kenney is bad be thankful you missed Frank Rizzo's failure at doing anything even remotely beneficial for the city during that era.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Street malls tend to work in smaller cities. Not our Large ones. Not just Philly had a failed street mall tried. One major city I know ..... continued loosing its retail only continued. Millions spent on a drab looking redo in the early 90s. Diesel busses allowed spewing their smoke did nothing to help it.
Sounds like State Street in Chicago in the late 80s to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia