Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2018, 08:06 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It’s basically a real estate transfer now - no development under discussion (that we know if). Goldberg isn’t even closing right now - they have a 3 year window to wrap up the acquisition (though there are regular 6 month non-refundables of $500K in the interim). But the buyer is consolidating property for a reason. If the Fashion District takes off, I’d imagine something happening at 8th and Market sooner rather than later.
That I don't see happening ever... But I see restaurants and apartments taking off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That I don't see happening ever... But I see restaurants and apartments taking off.
Demographics are changing. The area feels very different from before. I can see a visible change. If more and more people move into that area, it may happen.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Demographics are changing. The area feels very different from before. I can see a visible change. If more and more people move into that area, it may happen.
I see the area continuing to change for the better obviously. More dining, well to do residents, hotels, offices, etc.
But what would a fashion district in Philadelphia entail? I don't see a Nordstrom, Saks, Hugo Boss, Gucci, etc. opening anytime soon... The current state of the Gallery doesn't seem like an up and coming fashion district.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I see the area continuing to change for the better obviously. More dining, well to do residents, hotels, offices, etc.
But what would a fashion district in Philadelphia entail? I don't see a Nordstrom, Saks, Hugo Boss, Gucci, etc. opening anytime soon... The current state of the Gallery doesn't seem like an up and coming fashion district.
Well, the name probably won't align well to what the retail offerings are. High-end is not the only thing that is considered fashion though.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Well, the name probably won't align well to what the retail offerings are. High-end is not the only thing that is considered fashion though.
Neither is H&M, Sketchers, and Francesca's.

And before anyone else gets their feathers ruffled, I am not insulting those stores, but that doesn't define a fashion district or blvd. Madison Ave, Beverly Hills, Michigan Ave., Newbury St. Those are fashion districts/blvds. They offer a wide array of mid to high end brands/designers, both national, international and local brands.

The new Gallery will not offer any of that. Which is why I am hoping for more of a necessity setup (Bed Bath & Beyond, maybe a nice furniture store, Lowes, supermarket, and of course movies).

I am happy to see the Gallery revamped and refreshed, but lets be realistic, it won't offer fashion.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:

And before anyone else gets their feathers ruffled, I am not insulting those stores, but that doesn't define a fashion district or blvd. Madison Ave, Beverly Hills, Michigan Ave., Newbury St. Those are fashion districts/blvds. They offer a wide array of mid to high end brands/designers, both national, international and local brands.

The new Gallery will not offer any of that. Which is why I am hoping for more of a necessity setup (Bed Bath & Beyond, maybe a nice furniture store, Lowes, supermarket, and of course movies).

I am happy to see the Gallery revamped and refreshed, but lets be realistic, it won't offer fashion.
What would you consider mid-level "fashion"? I'm not very retail-focused.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:36 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:

Pardon me, but where are the midrange brands on those streets?

(Don't tell me Brooks Brothers is midrange, either.)

Edited to add: I've been known to refer to H&M as "the Ikea of fashion." Surely there are companies that are to fashion what Ikea is to design. H&M strikes me as the closest analogue (and they're Swedish too).

Target refers to what it offers as "design for all." Shouldn't there be "fashion for all" too? If so, who would you say provides it?

Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
What would you consider mid-level "fashion"? I'm not very retail-focused.
Zara, Topshop/Man, Nike, Adidas, Kate Spade, Tory Burch, Lilly Pulitzer, Micheal Kors (not the collection).
Actually most of the stores on Walnut/ Chestnut I would consider mid range...Cole Haan, J Crew, Madewell, Victoria Secret, etc.

The exceptions are Rag & Bone, Theory, and Vince, which are higher end and more specialized fashion. AllSaints would also fall into that category too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Pardon me, but where are the midrange brands on those streets?

(Don't tell me Brooks Brothers is midrange, either.)

Edited to add: I've been known to refer to H&M as "the Ikea of fashion." Surely there are companies that are to fashion what Ikea is to design. H&M strikes me as the closest analogue (and they're Swedish too).

Target refers to what it offers as "design for all." Shouldn't there be "fashion for all" too? If so, who would you say provides it?
Madison Ave has a lot of mid range retailers mixed in (J Crew, Polo, Lilly Pulitzer, Kate Spade, Tory Burch. Of course there are extremely specialized and high end designers you would only expect to see in NYC too.

Brooks Brothers is a classic high quality brand, but I would still consider mid level. Just because a brand is mid-level doesn't mean its crap, some of the best brands/designers are mid level.

Michigan Ave also has a good collection of mid and high end brands. Beverly Hills is probably the exception.

We can all debate over what is "fashion" or what makes a "fashion district" I tend to believe fashion is more specialized and specific and generally higher end. You can buy an outfit at Target that looks great, but I don't know if I would consider that fashion.

Anyways, my original point was that I don't think the name is appropriate for the new gallery. The only fashion district in our area is KoP, which offers quite an impressive lineup nowadays, stinks its a mall though.

Parts of Philadelphia shine due to the local brands (many high quality retailers) Boyds for example high fashion in a local format.

Last edited by cpomp; 06-21-2018 at 11:14 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 12:30 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Zara, Topshop/Man, Nike, Adidas, Kate Spade, Tory Burch, Lilly Pulitzer, Micheal Kors (not the collection).
Actually most of the stores on Walnut/ Chestnut I would consider mid range...Cole Haan, J Crew, Madewell, Victoria Secret, etc.

The exceptions are Rag & Bone, Theory, and Vince, which are higher end and more specialized fashion. AllSaints would also fall into that category too.

Madison Ave has a lot of mid range retailers mixed in (J Crew, Polo, Lilly Pulitzer, Kate Spade, Tory Burch. Of course there are extremely specialized and high end designers you would only expect to see in NYC too.

Brooks Brothers is a classic high quality brand, but I would still consider mid level. Just because a brand is mid-level doesn't mean its crap, some of the best brands/designers are mid level.

Michigan Ave also has a good collection of mid and high end brands. Beverly Hills is probably the exception.

We can all debate over what is "fashion" or what makes a "fashion district" I tend to believe fashion is more specialized and specific and generally higher end. You can buy an outfit at Target that looks great, but I don't know if I would consider that fashion.

Anyways, my original point was that I don't think the name is appropriate for the new gallery. The only fashion district in our area is KoP, which offers quite an impressive lineup nowadays, stinks its a mall though.

Parts of Philadelphia shine due to the local brands (many high quality retailers) Boyds for example high fashion in a local format.
I get your larger point, but I'd like to submit that Brooks Brothers is not midrange.

My income is above the nationwide median household income for a single male by a pretty comfortable margin, and I'd say that someone earning in the upper 40s would be hard pressed to afford Brooks Brothers. (I buy mine off-price at the outlet stores.)

(The nationwide MHI for a household consisting of a single male householder is about $35,000. By the way, that figure is also the median salary for journalists in the US.)

Edited to add: Given its image, I find it interesting to note that Polo Ralph Lauren, or at least what of his stuff I've seen recently, is priced below Brooks Brothers.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:11 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It’s basically a real estate transfer now - no development under discussion (that we know if). Goldberg isn’t even closing right now - they have a 3 year window to wrap up the acquisition (though there are regular 6 month non-refundables of $500K in the interim). But the buyer is consolidating property for a reason. If the Fashion District takes off, I’d imagine something happening at 8th and Market sooner rather than later.
Quote:
The Fashion District Philadelphia is the re-branding of the Gallery make-over.

Fashion District Philadelphia | Development

I was not referring to a “fashion district” (lower case) in my post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia