Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2018, 02:02 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Wasn't that because the neighbors and opposition were relentless? They wouldn't even work with Toll. If that is the case then I don't blame Toll for walking away, neighborhood opposition has saved many buildings and improved many designs, but it has also lead to instances like that, and wasn't that mansion at 40th and Pine basically a result of the neighbors being stubborn?

Anyways, I do find it hard to believe that saving facades would be cost prohibitive.

I know Jewelers Row is a sensitive site, but I do roll my eyes at the amount of people who are against this project just because its Toll and on Jewelers Row, when they do not know the history of the Row or have ever been to it.
I think it's awful & it's because I'm very familiar with Jewelers Row. In fact, I'm planning to order some tools from Hagstoz, soon. I first started going to Jewelers Row in 1970. I've known people whose families owned shops there & they grew up there, over the family shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 02:47 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,318,985 times
The design is a remarkable improvement, while it will not win any awards per say, I think given the historic nature of the neighborhood it does a fairly good job of balancing being a substantial building while also staying in the background.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:50 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Philadelphia hotels report record occupancy last year

"The agency announced the annual statistics at an event Wednesday where it rolled out 2018 plans to strengthen its marketing focus on attracting foodies to the city. It includes a spring campaign to promote an overnight hotel package tied to dining, a video series in partnership with Bon Appétit magazine and the annual nominations announcement of the James Beard Foundation Awards for culinary excellence.

Visit Philadelphia also said its “With Love, Philadelphia XOXO” campaign would evolve into a “City of Brotherly Love” theme, and it plans to soon launch a “Homesick Philly” campaign aimed to attract former Philadelphians to visit or extend their stays."
Hopefully we will get a 2017 figure for the number of tourists/visitors to the city soon.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:00 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think it's awful & it's because I'm very familiar with Jewelers Row. In fact, I'm planning to order some tools from Hagstoz, soon. I first started going to Jewelers Row in 1970. I've known people whose families owned shops there & they grew up there, over the family shop.

If younger generations of those families do not want to continue supporting those shops or no one wants to buy them or operate them what would you suggest should happen ?

Old 01-24-2018, 04:51 PM

1,213 posts, read 956,927 times
I haven’t seen this project reported here yet. I’m all for waterfront residential, but this seems a bit disconnected, no? Thoughts?
https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/24/...ouses-foxwoods

Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
If younger generations of those families do not want to continue supporting those shops or no one wants to buy them or operate them what would you suggest should happen ?
It doesn't look to me like there's a real problem with finding people who want to run shops on Jewelers Row yet. There are a few vacancies on the block but not many, and one well-known name - J.E. Caldwell & Co. - recently took up residence on the block.

I was having a conversation with a former Toll Brothers City Living division VP who's now working at another large developer today. The conversation did get around to the tower, and I expressed my opinion of it and my thoughts on the nature of the historic block.

Not enough of this city's heritage is protected - a fact which the exec also acknowledged. But we do need to balance the need to ensure that our city's past isn't torn down willy-nilly with the fact that cities are living organisms, and every living organism sheds the old for the new on an ongoing basis.

Pace Oscar Beisert, not every old building is worth saving, but some are. The issue with Jewelers Row is that the individual buildings are not themselves important, but the ensemble is - this is a whole that's greater than the sum of its parts. Hence the validity of the SHCA president's remark.

This tower is something that's good for the city, and it's the sort of project many of us urbanist types have hoped Toll would do in its own backyard. The choice of site is what's unfortunate. Unfortunately, Toll probably chose the site precisely because not much stands in the way of the views from the tower. There's a parking lot in the 800 block of Walnut that just cries out for something like this - but there are two tall medical centers right across the street to its south and the St. James apartment tower catercorner from it, not to mention the Franklin apartment residences, a pretty substantial building, across from it to its immediate northwest.

At least I give Toll Brothers points for listening.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:09 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It seems it should be their decision, not Toll Bros.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:23 AM

5 posts, read 5,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Thoughts?
Whenever you hear catch phrases such as sustainability associated w/ a master plan of revitalization, you're looking at Agenda 21 that is being packaged as trendy. Plenty of Agenda 21 operatives are at work here on CD. They're here to make you feel like all of this was your idea and you're so smart to think of it.
[url]https://youtu.be/UDtCb45Lqt0[/url]

Last edited by MGTOWNOMAD; 01-25-2018 at 07:02 AM..

Old 01-25-2018, 06:43 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you think the tower/ design is awful or the Jewelers Row part? Lets say this tower were built on Chestnut St replacing a parking lot you would support it?

Old 01-25-2018, 06:58 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
I haven’t seen this project reported here yet. I’m all for waterfront residential, but this seems a bit disconnected, no? Thoughts?
https://philly.curbed.com/2018/1/24/...ouses-foxwoods
I do like the aesthetic of the townhomes, but this is another project that is too suburban and bland for a waterfront (especially in 2017). I also do not like the idea of a supermarket with a parking lots behind it. It would cut off another chunk of land to the public (even if the public is allowed into the complex, it isn't very inviting).

I prefer mixed, more density, like the tower that was proposed a few days ago next to Dock House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia