Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Sometimes competitive advantages that have accumulated over many years, even decades, simply can't be overcome in a short period of time, if at all.

So it is with media, which is one of those industries where younger people "have to leave for career prospects" past a certain point.

I have said that even though this is the nation's fourth-largest media market, our media scene here feels more like we're playing Triple-A baseball rather than the major league variety.

And those who want to rise past a certain point on the national media radar will therefore have to leave Philadephia.

And part of this is not "just because it's NYC [or] DC" but because of what those two cities have that this one doesn't. New York has the largest concentration of national media in the country, with the national capital a fairly distant second. And even many the New York-based media maintain DC bureaus or staffs because it is the national capital.
Since you have some inside dope, I think, explain why Comcast stays here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 10:16 AM

14,195 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Since you have some inside dope, I think, explain why Comcast stays here.
The company has been based here almost from its founding (it began with a small CATV system in Mississippi ca. 1963) and the founding family still controls it.

Until its acquisition of NBCUniversal from GE, it really wasn't in the business of producing content, and as such, had no compelling reason to relocate its headquarters elsewhere given the founding family's control.

That family will probably keep it here, and it's close enough to New York that they can keep an eye on the content folks from here.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:37 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Sometimes competitive advantages that have accumulated over many years, even decades, simply can't be overcome in a short period of time, if at all.

So it is with media, which is one of those industries where younger people "have to leave for career prospects" past a certain point.

I have said that even though this is the nation's fourth-largest media market, our media scene here feels more like we're playing Triple-A baseball rather than the major league variety.

And those who want to rise past a certain point on the national media radar will therefore have to leave Philadephia.

And part of this is not "just because it's NYC [or] DC" but because of what those two cities have that this one doesn't. New York has the largest concentration of national media in the country, with the national capital a fairly distant second. And even many the New York-based media maintain DC bureaus or staffs because it is the national capital.

An institutional signifier of this was the decision of the parent company of The Atlantic to leave Boston, its home since the magazine was founded in 1857, and move to Washington about 10 or so years ago.

The decline of the mass-circulation magazines, and with it the Philadelphia-based company whose office building I work in, pretty much took what wind was left out of Philadelphia's sails as a national media center. I really don't see the dynamic that caused all this changing anytime soon.
And not just media, but finance, construction, marketing, etc.

I am following the possibility of Chubb (Zurich) constructing new office tower on Arch Street.
Many of my clients are in the insurance world and Philadelphia is one of Chubb / Zurichs largest offices in the US, a development like this would certainly put a spotlight on Philadelphia in the insurance world.

It's also nice that Brandywine is courting them for the Schuylkill Yards development, however, the city sits in the background in a catatonic state...
Does the city do anything to improve Philadelphia's status as an international center for business? I know its not New York, but Philadelphia could certainly be doing a heck of a lot better than it is right now with some swift action.

Thank goodness for companies like Brandywine and universities and their leaders like Fry.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:03 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

I am following the possibility of Chubb (Zurich) constructing new office tower on Arch Street.
Many of my clients are in the insurance world and Philadelphia is one of Chubb / Zurichs largest offices in the US, a development like this would certainly put a spotlight on Philadelphia in the insurance world.

It's also nice that Brandywine is courting them for the Schuylkill Yards development, however, the city sits in the background in a catatonic state...
Does the city do anything to improve Philadelphia's status as an international center for business? I know its not New York, but Philadelphia could certainly be doing a heck of a lot better than it is right now with some swift action.

Thank goodness for companies like Brandywine and universities and their leaders like Fry.
Have you seen our crack elected officials list who "run" our city? I doubt they even understand this level of business, let alone have any inclination to address it.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The company has been based here almost from its founding (it began with a small CATV system in Mississippi ca. 1963) and the founding family still controls it.

Until its acquisition of NBCUniversal from GE, it really wasn't in the business of producing content, and as such, had no compelling reason to relocate its headquarters elsewhere given the founding family's control.

That family will probably keep it here, and it's close enough to New York that they can keep an eye on the content folks from here.
One of those content folk( Joe Scarborough) actually gets to have a kind of faux-ish studio in Florida where he and Mika get to fool people across the country that they're in NY or DC. It's sort of funny but it pisses me off at the same time. All of them do: Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell, etc. Is there any evidence Chris Matthews gives a **** about the place he came from? How about Andrea Mitchell who spent formative years at kyw1060 "fighting" with Frank Rizzo and went to Penn ? Only Michael Smerconish has any sense of pride about being associated with Philadelphia in any way since he uses the city sky line as a backdrop but he's on CNN.

Sorry for rant....

Old 07-11-2019, 12:17 PM

273 posts, read 207,276 times
Quote:
I think the Amazon HQ2 bid sort of woke everyone up to this. If I recall, there was a foreign company that decided to make Philadelphia its US headquarters after seeing the city's bid web site. Plus the mayor has been making international trips to market the city. https://www.inquirer.com/news/kenney...-20190122.html

Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:

Are you aware that there's huge irony wrt insurance? INA was founded in 1792 and guess where. Did you even know that it was the largest American insurance in the country for decades through out 19th and 20th centuries?

Try contacting Harold Epps, Sylvie Gallier Howard, Rochelle Cameron.... There are a lot of people in the Commerce Dept. who could answer your question.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Have you seen our crack elected officials list who "run" our city? I doubt they even understand this level of business, let alone have any inclination to address it.
How many times do I have to say that if you don't run for office, or vote or actually challenge the machine unprogressives will continue? The primary showed in one case that you can beat dinosaurs though. In any case the people who run the city do not get elected.

The people who put together the Amazon hq2 stuff, although that turned into well we know..., seem to have a grasp of how to market the city.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
One of those content folk( Joe Scarborough) actually gets to have a kind of faux-ish studio in Florida where he and Mika get to fool people across the country that they're in NY or DC. It's sort of funny but it pisses me off at the same time. All of them do: Rachel Maddow, Lawrence O'Donnell, etc. Is there any evidence Chris Matthews gives a **** about the place he came from? How about Andrea Mitchell who spent formative years at kyw1060 "fighting" with Frank Rizzo and went to Penn ? Only Michael Smerconish has any sense of pride about being associated with Philadelphia in any way since he uses the city sky line as a backdrop but he's on CNN.

Sorry for rant....
Let's not forget that in the 50s there were programs that originated from Philadelphia. I think that the Mike Douglas Show was the last show with national coverage to originate from Philadelphia.

I remember during a primary coverage, John Chancellor anchored from the KYW building and he had a cameraman shoot Independence Hall and raved about Philadelphia.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Let's not forget that in the 50s there were programs that originated from Philadelphia. I think that the Mike Douglas Show was the last show with national coverage to originate from Philadelphia.

I remember during a primary coverage, John Chancellor anchored from the KYW building and he had a cameraman shoot Independence Hall and raved about Philadelphia.
All of the millennials posting have to google Mike Douglas and John Chancellor. Ha, ha, ha...

Before the 50s, 1622 Chestnut and 1619 Walnut were special places in broadcast history.

And 46th and Market of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia