Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 05:09 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,227,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
As I read that article - which I consider good news for North Philly - a little voice in the back of my head said:

"Be careful what you ask for. You might get it."

Every time I hear some local politico or just regular-guy talk about extending the BSL to the Navy Yard, I wonder if they've ever been to Broad and Lehigh (or other places along North Broad). Whether or not this all works out, I'm glad somebody gets it - and it's just a little sad it took someone from NYC to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:47 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Every time I hear some local politico or just regular-guy talk about extending the BSL to the Navy Yard, I wonder if they've ever been to Broad and Lehigh (or other places along North Broad). Whether or not this all works out, I'm glad somebody gets it - and it's just a little sad it took someone from NYC to get it.
I've referred to the Beury Building, the vacant 1926 Italianate tower located where Broad Street and Germantown Avenue cross, as "the transit-oriented development we wasted."

It's going to be rebuilt as senior housing.

The North Philadelphia Station project will at least be mixed-use.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 AM

377 posts, read 475,035 times
SLS needs $19M from the state to move forward: http://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/21/1...ruction-update

Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
SLS needs $19M from the state to move forward: http://philly.curbed.com/2017/3/21/1...ruction-update
Smells like corporate welfare. What benefit is there to this being part of Philly? Are people staying in hotels in different cities because there aren't enough rooms? Are people moving elsewhere because of the residential shortage? We seemed to do fine with some recent events (e.g. Pope visit, DNC, Flower Show, etc.).

The developer should be held responsible for demo'ing the previous buildings and then screaming that they aren't getting enough free money from the state/city to move forward.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
We beat out DC.

New Coworking Space

Old 03-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Smells like corporate welfare. What benefit is there to this being part of Philly? Are people staying in hotels in different cities because there aren't enough rooms? Are people moving elsewhere because of the residential shortage? We seemed to do fine with some recent events (e.g. Pope visit, DNC, Flower Show, etc.).

The developer should be held responsible for demo'ing the previous buildings and then screaming that they aren't getting enough free money from the state/city to move forward.
The state assistance was part of the financing package from the start - just as it was part of the jigsaw puzzle the redeveloper of The Gallery put together. You may recall that some demolition occurred there too, then work stopped while the builders waited for the Commonwealth to cut its check.

Same thing here. Dranoff dug the hole and is now waiting for the check before calling in the cranes.

You can say the whole RACP (Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program) grant program is a boondoggle and should be ended, and you wouldn't get an argument from me. But as long as the state is offering the money to developers up front, then I'm not going to fault them for putting their projects on hold when the agreed-upon money is held up.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The state assistance was part of the financing package from the start - just as it was part of the jigsaw puzzle the redeveloper of The Gallery put together. You may recall that some demolition occurred there too, then work stopped while the builders waited for the Commonwealth to cut its check.

Same thing here. Dranoff dug the hole and is now waiting for the check before calling in the cranes.

You can say the whole RACP (Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program) grant program is a boondoggle and should be ended, and you wouldn't get an argument from me. But as long as the state is offering the money to developers up front, then I'm not going to fault them for putting their projects on hold when the agreed-upon money is held up.
I remember there being some minutes or an article where Dranoff said he wouldn't use taxpayer money for this project, but I don't remember where I read that. Maybe I'm wrong.

And I do have a problem with the RACP, especially for things like luxury hotels and apartments. If it was going to be used, I'd rather have it be for developments that support more corporate or high-paying jobs (vs. service jobs).

Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 7,720 times
PlanPhilly | Planning Commission updated on North District plan, supports West Poplar and TOD zoning changes

Why are they proposing making more zoning for single family homes? If anything they should be zoned for rowhomes, it doesn't make sense so close to center city and transit access.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abjlife View Post
PlanPhilly | Planning Commission updated on North District plan, supports West Poplar and TOD zoning changes

Why are they proposing making more zoning for single family homes? If anything they should be zoned for rowhomes, it doesn't make sense so close to center city and transit access.
The "A" in "RSA" stands for "attached."

All types of homes are allowed in "RSA" districts, but lot sizes are larger for semi-attached and detached homes in the lower-density districts (RSA-1, 2 and 3). "RSA-5" is the densest of the districts and the only one that doesn't have a larger minimum lot width for homes that do not abut others on one or both sides, though semi-detached and detached homes in an RSA-5 district are supposed to have side yards of 5 feet on the freestanding side(s).

Most of the dense rowhouse neighborhoods in the city are zoned RSA-5.

But I'd agree that the area should have mostly RM-1 zoning. However, it's that district that the people quoted in the article were objecting to, with parking being the bugbear, as it usually is.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:01 PM

377 posts, read 475,035 times
This would be great, specifically the blade sign: Signs at the `Met' on North Broad Street to emulate Philadelphia venue's 1930s look
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia