Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
First look at Philly's newest museum and its fascinating artifacts

Great article about the history of this project.
*Update, very glad to see this museum made the weeks national headlines!
Remember when it was going to be built in Valley Forge? Glad that didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 08:52 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Remember when it was going to be built in Valley Forge? Glad that didn't happen.
Much better off in the city, And Valley Forge should stay untouched.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:55 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
How to address it?

Since you left for NYC( I do understand why,btw) what, exactly, can you do to change the political culture here for instance? How many PA primaries did you vote in when you were here? How many general elections? How many Phila. counsel person did you ever bother to try to dismantle by being politically active? How many Phila. millennials do you know who will do what's needed to run for office? To get politically corrupt Boomers out of the way there needs to be movement by more younger GenXers and millennials. The oldest millennials are over 30. Millenials are the largest single generation in the country. Prove that you can make the changes wrt to things you complain about and/or are concerned about.
As a younger Gen Xer, I find it very discouraging to vote in primaries, elections, etc. only to have voted for candidates that get 3% of the vote. This city is so stuck in its ways that the only thing that will seemingly help is for the older generation to die off. That doesn't mean I want people to die, but that's the reality.

The fact that this joke of a mayor is in City Hall is a testament to how many life-long Philadelphians hold up the standard that ONLY a democrat will get into office (by the way, stopping anyone from another party from having an impact on which Democrat gets on the ticket). And I'm not a Republican either, so it's not that. It's that the sheep only follow one or the other, and it's Democrat in Philadelphia. Truly a bunch of BS.

And while I really appreciate your push for us folks to make change, please don't say I should run for office. I am no politician. But I have taken part in voter registration drives, I vote, I socialize change, etc.

Old 04-13-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
How to address it?

Since you left for NYC( I do understand why,btw) what, exactly, can you do to change the political culture here for instance? How many PA primaries did you vote in when you were here? How many general elections? How many Phila. counsel person did you ever bother to try to dismantle by being politically active? How many Phila. millennials do you know who will do what's needed to run for office? To get politically corrupt Boomers out of the way there needs to be movement by more younger GenXers and millennials. The oldest millennials are over 30. Millenials are the largest single generation in the country. Prove that you can make the changes wrt to things you complain about and/or are concerned about.

I was active in elections since 2012, (however I was a registered voter in Delaware County, I never switched my residency to Philadelphia, and I am very young btw lol). Many of the voters in Philadelphia are so brain dead that it will take one heck of a battle to change the political landscape in Philadelphia, quite literally the battle of the century, and I don't think most Millennials are up for that. :/

Old 04-13-2017, 12:56 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,248,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
As a younger Gen Xer, I find it very discouraging to vote in primaries, elections, etc. only to have voted for candidates that get 3% of the vote. This city is so stuck in its ways that the only thing that will seemingly help is for the older generation to die off. That doesn't mean I want people to die, but that's the reality.

The fact that this joke of a mayor is in City Hall is a testament to how many life-long Philadelphians hold up the standard that ONLY a democrat will get into office (by the way, stopping anyone from another party from having an impact on which Democrat gets on the ticket). And I'm not a Republican either, so it's not that. It's that the sheep only follow one or the other, and it's Democrat in Philadelphia. Truly a bunch of BS.

And while I really appreciate your push for us folks to make change, please don't say I should run for office. I am no politician. But I have taken part in voter registration drives, I vote, I socialize change, etc.
I know my comments are unwelcome and I don't disagree with you. But 9 out of 10 Big cities are Democrat-run. It just doesn't go well with some in forums. If you don't post positive viewpoints by far here. Nothing that can be misconstrued as negative, or picking on Philly, or as if in any way it's worse or beneath other cities? You can be labeled.

But where Nimbly's stop projects or force changes? It really is not a dem/rep thing. A city definitely needs a "Can do Type Mayor" to get things done, and work with all factions towards a goal. Philly should have sought mere Federal Grants and matching funds for projects.

I know LA, Chi, Bos, and NYC, all sought Federal Grants. Before President Obama was out of office in the billions, for their cities Transit infrastructure improvements and expansions. If Philly didn't? It was a missed opportunity? That then is a weaker Mayor and others in charge.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:35 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was active in elections since 2012, (however I was a registered voter in Delaware County, I never switched my residency to Philadelphia, and I am very young btw lol). Many of the voters in Philadelphia are so brain dead that it will take one heck of a battle to change the political landscape in Philadelphia, quite literally the battle of the century, and I don't think most Millennials are up for that. :/
The great Chicago newspaper columnist Mike Royko once wrote about that city's legendarily graft-filled politics that the city's motto should not be "Urbs in Horto" (Latin: "city in a garden") but rather "Ubi est Mea?" (Latin: "Where's mine?")

The difference between here and Chicago is that Chicagoans get neat public works for their graft. We don't even get our potholes filled, and our graft puts Chicago's to shame.

The state senator who represented the district I moved into in Germantown got indicted for abuse of her office before the 2014 state primary. She drew two challengers, usually a sure recipe for re-election.

Fortunately (from my perspective), half of this district lies in Montgomery County, and the Montgomery Countians voted for one of those challengers, Art Haywood, overwhelmingly. Had only the Philadelphians voted, the incumbent would have been hauled off to jail from her office, for she was convicted shortly after the general election.

A Republican friend of mine who hails from Illinois and therefore should know refers to this city's political culture as "highly transactional." That means that what motivates people here to run for office and engage in activity beyond voting is not policies or ideas per se but personal connections and favors: Whose guy is he? What are we going to get out of this deal?

Cultures like that are hard to uproot. But I'd egg on anyone who gets down on their hands and knees and starts pulling.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The great Chicago newspaper columnist Mike Royko once wrote about that city's legendarily graft-filled politics that the city's motto should not be "Urbs in Horto" (Latin: "city in a garden") but rather "Ubi est Mea?" (Latin: "Where's mine?")

The difference between here and Chicago is that Chicagoans get neat public works for their graft. We don't even get our potholes filled, and our graft puts Chicago's to shame.

The state senator who represented the district I moved into in Germantown got indicted for abuse of her office before the 2014 state primary. She drew two challengers, usually a sure recipe for re-election.

Fortunately (from my perspective), half of this district lies in Montgomery County, and the Montgomery Countians voted for one of those challengers, Art Haywood, overwhelmingly. Had only the Philadelphians voted, the incumbent would have been hauled off to jail from her office, for she was convicted shortly after the general election.

A Republican friend of mine who hails from Illinois and therefore should know refers to this city's political culture as "highly transactional." That means that what motivates people here to run for office and engage in activity beyond voting is not policies or ideas per se but personal connections and favors: Whose guy is he? What are we going to get out of this deal?

Cultures like that are hard to uproot. But I'd egg on anyone who gets down on their hands and knees and starts pulling.
The bold above is incredibly true and probably the biggest problem I have. Philadelphia graft gets us mostly nothing. The capping on 95 is probably the biggest thing we've seen in recent years, but who even knows if that will truly happen (or when).

But I'm happy to see that Kenney's fat red face and whiskey nose is doing well:

PlanPhilly | Clarke's lingering concerns about Rebuild structure: ‘privatization’ and Council oversight

And Clarke is on fire as usual. Talking about how every city resident should have a parking spot in front of their houses. What a bunch of corrupt fools.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:34 AM

Inga's take, (spoiler... she hates it, lol)

Museum of the American Revolution's building at odds with revolutionary content

Old 04-14-2017, 09:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

Agreed, we have AWFUL voter turn out in this city.

Sam Katz almost won running for mayor, against Street, as a Republican. Not sure how many of you know or remember that since it was a long time ago.

Historically speaking you probably know that Democrat reformers defeated the prior entrenched Republican machine, in the early 1950s. Machine politics, decades old in Philly, flipped parties and we are as stuck now, with Democrats, as Philly was during the first half of the 20th century with Republicans.

And, yes, getting rid of Boomers is all part of any change. I'm a Boomer...one of the early born ones...so complaining about Boomers is relevant to me. lol

Well, you know, somebody younger has to take the plung and run for office. I don't understand what's stopping you all. One positive sign was all the young people I saw getting people to register to vote last year.

But it's a national problem. Look at people who ran for president of the US. Two of the oldest people ever to run. In 1960, the winner of the presidential was 43.

Old 04-14-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Agreed, we have AWFUL voter turn out in this city.

Sam Katz almost won running for mayor, against Street, as a Republican. Not sure how many of you know or remember that since it was a long time ago.

Historically speaking you probably know that Democrat reformers defeated the prior entrenched Republican machine, in the early 1950s. Machine politics, decades old in Philly, flipped parties and we are as stuck now, with Democrats, as Philly was during the first half of the 20th century with Republicans.

And, yes, getting rid of Boomers is all part of any change. I'm a Boomer...one of the early born ones...so complaining about Boomers is relevant to me. lol

Well, you know, somebody younger has to take the plung and run for office. I don't understand what's stopping you all. One positive sign was all the young people I saw getting people to register to vote last year.

But it's a national problem. Look at people who ran for president of the US. Two of the oldest people ever to run. In 1960, the winner of the presidential was 43.
Good post.

The younger generations are entrenched by technology, the internet, mobility, advertising, and propaganda in a way that was never even close to possible 60 or 70 years ago. People are so distracted, disgusted, and swallowed by American corporate culture and political main stream media that everyone is hopelessly divided. So many special interest groups focused on their set of wants/needs, no one is looking and focusing on the whole picture because they're more interested in only what they want. American individualism at its best.

In Philly, while the younger generations are distracted, the Boomers are still doing the same thing they've always done; voting. Makes for a frustrating situation because local politics are so obviously corrupt and sloppy. It's an outdated version of corruption that should be cleared out for more savvy corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia