Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 09:33 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yeah... the only place I see "Midtown Village" is on banners along 13th St.

To answer the question, I have no problem with trying to rebrand the rail park area since it lacks any real identity. Although I kinda like calling it "Eraserhead". I think the rail park may cause the same kind of reaction the High Line has in NYC. We'll see, obviously. Depending, the possibility of getting control of other parts of the viaduct for development will only help. I'm really looking forward to it.
That would be something. High Line/ Meatpacking District is one of the hottest neighborhoods in Manhattan, amazing if CC could somewhat replicate the success of that. Hopefully investors will be as drawn to the Philly version as they in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 10:12 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Will Rittenhouse Lose Another Parking Garage? | Naked Philly

Two potential development opportunities that will probably end up as more rowhomes.

Is it me asking to much to think that a multi-family midrise structure would compliment this neighborhood nicely? I posted a rendering below of 180 E 93rd St NY, NY... I am picturing something along the lines of that to replace at least one of the garages. It is a pipe dream, but why would that be so terrible for Philadelphia to replace parking garages with these rather than rowhomes?

180 e 93rd st new york ny - Bing images
Yes, I agree. But here goes some ideas probably NOT welcome and maybe removed if complained about.

It's me I know. We surely know Rows are Philly's soul. This neighborhood is no different. But a bit of set-back and green-space SHOULD BE A GREAT SELLING POINT and break in the block that NIMBY'S should not see as go against the grain in a bad way.

NYC surely can offer ideas. So can other cities. Some varieties in a row over more identical Brick multi-residences. Should be a nice diversion from a solid block and still add some more GREEEEEEN for all in the block to enjoy also .

I LUV these. Connected and with the ARCHITECTURE I like a lot. A row need not have a flat front. (yes all know this) Or too modern and blocky. Especially in a area the housing is pricey already DO IT WITH CLASS and added features to eliminated too much likeness. But not too modern of contemporary looking.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9296...7i13312!8i6656

But if a sturdy concrete second floor garage?
MAYBE JUST CONVERT IT TO LOFT LIVING. Front can be changed enough to add some design to look pleasant and inviting.

** But NYC and other cities surely can offer ideas too!!
The closer look at the architecture design I like A LOT. CLASSY LIVING IN THE CITY.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9294...7i13312!8i6656

Or why not something these three? Setting back a bit for greens too.
Could be attached but why?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9459...7i13312!8i6656

Both nice diversions from a bit plainer row. But still great urban living maybe William Penn would give is approval to....NO HATE PLEASE. NOT JUST NYC CAN HAVE IDEAS I THOUGHT.

Went to street-view to view the block the link posted shows this garage. It could use some greening in this particular block. I KNOW ALL AROUND IT HAS MORE.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9460...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Some varieties of infill SAY CLASS. I'd want it to be CLASS that can even blend with Colonial styles in much of CC. Too much infill strays to modern? Then NIMBY'S are not happy right?

Some deluxe infill with class. Old-styling not modern blocky alone or plain by far.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-08-2017 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 11:22 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
NYC surely can offer ideas. So can other cities. Some varieties in a row over more identical Brick multi-residences. Should be a nice diversion from a solid block and still add some more GREEEEEEN for all in the block to enjoy also .
Any one who thinks all of Philadelphias rowhouses are "identical brick" have no idea what they are talking about and their opinion should not be taken seriously imo.

For instance that thumbnail you attached, are you really that uninformed and unknowledgable to think there aren't plenty of streets like that? I should know, because I live on one.

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 04-10-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 11:44 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Any one who thinks all of Philadelphias rowhouses are "identical brick" are keyboard clowns who have no idea what they are talking about. seriously stop commenting on topics YOU have no idea about.

Like that thumbnail you attached, are you really that dumb to think there aren't plenty of streets like that?
Well I take that as a great choice then for that long garage? I went by street-view the side of the garage was plain rows OK. Across was some more contemporary offerings and a brick wall.

Since other blocks have Philly's more quaint varieties. That garage Should not have to match what is next door.

We may see what it gets in a few months. Lofts using the existing garage would be the best option to me.

How about you? But if others crave more of what others mention like NYC is doing. That is fine with me too. Some city's do infill that inspires like NYC and other cities too.

Always ideas to appease NIMBY'S who want it more a it is. I say keep it brick and stone effect, a high-end CLASS-ACT look in style with classic features over contemporary, and a front that whether attached multi-residences or not having each more varied in design. Sameness no matter what design need not be more standard then not. Attached is fine, but each home its unique look ADDS much more.

NIMBY'S will accept a choice seen as a CLASS-ACT. CC deserves no less. Some NYC ideas or other cities to gain ideas from too. I guess only NYC need have suggestions seen there? Be relevant for Philly and no other cities for any ideas?

I Hope it does here then get some class-act in infill. The garage as it is adds nothing. Good luck Philly.

Last edited by DavePa; 04-10-2017 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-10-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Well I take that as a great choice then for that long garage? I went by street-view the side of the garage was plain rows OK. Across was some more contemporary offerings and a brick wall.

Since other blocks have Philly's more quaint varieties. That garage Should not have to match what is next door.

We may see what it gets in a few months. Lofts using the existing garage would be the best option to me.

How about you? But if others crave more of what others mention like NYC is doing. That is fine with me too. Some city's do infill that inspires like NYC and other cities too.

Always ideas to appease NIMBY'S who want it more a it is. I say keep it brick and stone effect, a high-end CLASS-ACT look in style with classic features over contemporary, and a front that whether attached multi-residences or not having each more varied in design. Sameness no matter what design need not be more standard then not. Attached is fine, but each home its unique look ADDS much more.

NIMBY'S will accept a choice seen as a CLASS-ACT. CC deserves no less. Some NYC ideas or other cities to gain ideas from too. I guess only NYC need have suggestions seen there? Be relevant for Philly and no other cities for any ideas?

I Hope it does here then get some class-act in infill. The garage as it is adds nothing. Good luck Philly.
Again, I don't really know what you are trying to say. I am trying to infer what you mean exactly, and the only conclusion I can come up with is that you truly believe infill in Center City isn't "classy". Which again leads me back to my last response. If you aren't familiar with a place, such as how you aren't familiar with Philly, than the opinion of said person should not be taken very highly.

Or you are just trying to say that something should be classy where that parking garage is?

Old 04-10-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
I actually passed by Market Street East again today. More claddings were installed. (I even saw how they did it! Pretty cool!)
I would love to retract my statement. It looks much better now once it takes shape.
I am excited!
I walked past it yesterday too, it looks good imo too. I am curious what the second tower will look like. It appears that one will have the nice curved corner on it.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That would be something. High Line/ Meatpacking District is one of the hottest neighborhoods in Manhattan, amazing if CC could somewhat replicate the success of that. Hopefully investors will be as drawn to the Philly version as they in NYC.
Doesn't that article indicate that there's interest? Hopefully it will pan out.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:09 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
I just read the "Philadelphia 2017 State of the City" report, lots of improvements on the real estate front, but the poverty rate dropped a measly .3% still around 26%. :/

Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I walked past it yesterday too, it looks good imo too. I am curious what the second tower will look like. It appears that one will have the nice curved corner on it.
It's a riff on PSFS across the street:

Second East Market Apartment Tower Echoes a Grande Dame | Property | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 04-10-2017, 09:17 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I have a question.
Does Design Within Reach will occupy all the retail space facing 11th Street and half of retail space facing Market?
Are there still available retail space under the first building facing Market St.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia