Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2022, 07:51 PM

1,170 posts, read 593,238 times

Advertisements

I forgot about the Broad and Lombard building. It looks super sharp and almost as important, helps bury that God awful looking Symphony House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 11:37 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
With a $1 billion order, Philly Shipyard shrugs off gloomy economy and steams ahead

Shipyard has all the orders it can fill for the next 5 years. Pretty cool considering they didn't have many orders a few years ago.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:12 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Interesting...

Philly’s low voter turnout is a warning sign hidden in Pennsylvania Democrats’ big wins
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20221121.html

Old 11-21-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Interesting...

Philly’s low voter turnout is a warning sign hidden in Pennsylvania Democrats’ big wins
https://www.inquirer.com/politics/el...-20221121.html

Perfect example of the media counting on doom scrolling for clicks. Yes, turnout dropped, but Democrats had a banner election despite that. Being able to crush it with lower Philly turnout is a good sign for Democrats, not a bad one.

Now I know, if it was a closer election this would be a big problem. But it wasn't close, and isn't a coincidence. There are 10 articles like this for every article about the complete collapse of the GOP in burbs. Barack Obama won Montgomery County by 14 points in 2012, and lost Chester by 2. Josh Shapiro won Montgomery by 40, and won Chester by 27. That far offsets a couple point drop in Philly turnout.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:34 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Perfect example of the media counting on doom scrolling for clicks. Yes, turnout dropped, but Democrats had a banner election despite that. Being able to crush it with lower Philly turnout is a good sign for Democrats, not a bad one.

Now I know, if it was a closer election this would be a big problem. But it wasn't close, and isn't a coincidence. There are 10 articles like this for every article about the complete collapse of the GOP in burbs. Barack Obama won Montgomery County by 14 points in 2012, and lost Chester by 2. Josh Shapiro won Montgomery by 40, and won Chester by 27. That far offsets a couple point drop in Philly turnout.

GOP is dead in the suburbs, but there's nothing wrong with doing county by county analysis, and Philadelphia county isn't a strong spot for the dems. IMO, that's a symptom of poor performance on the ground here

Old 11-21-2022, 12:40 PM

Nothing wrong with diving deep into the numbers but the headline was an atrocious take. I swear if Philadelphia ever cures cancer, Inky's headline would be "Philadelphia Cures Cancer: And Here is Why That is Bad".

Old 11-21-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Nothing wrong with diving deep into the numbers but the headline was an atrocious take. I swear if Philadelphia ever cures cancer, Inky's headline would be "Philadelphia Cures Cancer: And Here is Why That is Bad".
I agree the headlines for the Inquirer are generally negative misleading garbage.

But I meant the details of the article are interesting.

Old 11-21-2022, 09:47 PM

They are interesting, yes, I myself do a deep dive into the numbers too. That isn't my point. 80% of the PA forum ******* and moans about the liberal media but does anything stop and think what would happen if the headline was instead "Despite Lower Philly Turnout, Republicans Get Their Asses Handed To Them"? That could have easily been the headline based on the same numbers.

I have a theory on all this though. Yes, most members of the media are left wing personally so they try to "both sides" everything. How many mainstream media outlets after having interviewed countless people in Iowa diners in 2016, then did the same thing in Ambler diners in 2020? Yeah, roughly zero. Its all liberal guilt, the right (and the media because of the guilt) demands a certain amount of "respect" and deference to defeated Republican candidates that is not offered to Democrats.

I'd also throw in the completely hypocritical criticism around Fetterman avoiding the media because he was recovering from a stroke, while saying zip about Mastriano doing the same so he didn't have to talk to a Jew. That is a thing, you all know that, right?

Old 11-22-2022, 04:08 AM

386 posts, read 267,183 times
Tweb I agree with you on the negative media. However, I do think it’s important for democrats to understand that they did not do a good job of motivating Black and Latino voters and try to figure out why that is. The good news for Democrats is that Black and Latino people who did vote (outside of Florida) voted for dems at around the same percentage as 2020 but the turnout was an issue across the country and could cost PA in a close race.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
They are interesting, yes, I myself do a deep dive into the numbers too. That isn't my point. 80% of the PA forum ******* and moans about the liberal media but does anything stop and think what would happen if the headline was instead "Despite Lower Philly Turnout, Republicans Get Their Asses Handed To Them"? That could have easily been the headline based on the same numbers.

I have a theory on all this though. Yes, most members of the media are left wing personally so they try to "both sides" everything. How many mainstream media outlets after having interviewed countless people in Iowa diners in 2016, then did the same thing in Ambler diners in 2020? Yeah, roughly zero. Its all liberal guilt, the right (and the media because of the guilt) demands a certain amount of "respect" and deference to defeated Republican candidates that is not offered to Democrats.

I'd also throw in the completely hypocritical criticism around Fetterman avoiding the media because he was recovering from a stroke, while saying zip about Mastriano doing the same so he didn't have to talk to a Jew. That is a thing, you all know that, right?
Agree with all.

Getting off topic, but I wrote to the Inquirer countless times with regard to bogus headlines, negative headlines, poor journalism, even fact checking. NEVER ONCE heard back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia