Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2021, 03:49 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times

Advertisements

Haven't seen this posted yet: https://twitter.com/RealGlenMacnow/s...322585601?s=20

Looks like the Sixers are still exploring possible stadium locations. Their current lease with WFC ends in 2031, so I thought this would be an appropriate place to post this.

I wouldn't mind an arena on the Camden waterfront if they were to relocate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 05:21 PM

1,170 posts, read 593,238 times
Urgh, I hate everything about what Harris is trying to do. First they wanted NIZ money which is an abomination. The NIZ only exists in Allentown and for good reason, it kind of worked too well. But that was to revive a dead downtown. Center City is not dead. If they need money for surrounding infrastructure upgrades, thats pretty standard. But I see no reason why a dime of public money should go into the construction of a new arena for the Sixers.

Old 07-17-2021, 05:23 PM

Oh, and I would bet a lot of money that if he doesn't get tax payer money he will threaten to move the team to Newark, which is probably what he wants anyway. There is a reason why out of town owners stink.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:32 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,124,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Urgh, I hate everything about what Harris is trying to do. First they wanted NIZ money which is an abomination. The NIZ only exists in Allentown and for good reason, it kind of worked too well. But that was to revive a dead downtown. Center City is not dead. If they need money for surrounding infrastructure upgrades, thats pretty standard. But I see no reason why a dime of public money should go into the construction of a new arena for the Sixers.
Probably been reading those BS news articles on how "Fashion district is a failure'.

Still, If it were between Hahnemann and the Fashion District, i'd go with the later, but a Camden waterfront arena is still more practical.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:48 AM

That has nothing to do with it. There is no reason why public money has to go to an arena. As for the location, the reason cities put stadiums and arenas in their downtowns was to reverse trends and give people a reason to go downtown. That isn't a problem here. As for Camden, for the majority of the fan base, that location is remarkably less convenient than the Wells Fargo Center. What the sports complex lacks in charm and nearby amenities it more than makes up for in accessibility.

In short, public money for a Center City arena is probably the worst idea I've heard in years.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:26 AM

14,195 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
That has nothing to do with it. There is no reason why public money has to go to an arena. As for the location, the reason cities put stadiums and arenas in their downtowns was to reverse trends and give people a reason to go downtown. That isn't a problem here. As for Camden, for the majority of the fan base, that location is remarkably less convenient than the Wells Fargo Center. What the sports complex lacks in charm and nearby amenities it more than makes up for in accessibility.

In short, public money for a Center City arena is probably the worst idea I've heard in years.
Agreed.

But the block bounded by Market, Chestnut, 8th and 9th streets really should become something other than a parking lot with one surviving fragment of the old Gimbels still standing on it.

If the Sixers are willing to put up their own money to build the arena, I would be willing to use public funds to buy out the owner of 833/841 Chestnut and knock it down. But then again, it would be better if the Sixers spent that money directly.

(Of course, this may not be possible if that building is on the city historic register, which it may well be.)

Old 07-18-2021, 08:35 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times
Quote:

Yeah I completely agree. The money could be so better spent. What's wrong with the arena down in the stadium area of South Philadelphia anyway? I like that all of that is contained in one area, and that the rowdiness is removed from our core.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:34 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yeah I completely agree. The money could be so better spent. What's wrong with the arena down in the stadium area of South Philadelphia anyway? I like that all of that is contained in one area, and that the rowdiness is removed from our core.

Sixer's are owned by a private equity firm. They want to increase the value of the franchise by owning their own stadium. Which means they shouldn't get public money. Especially considering the Wells Fargo was built with public money and just went through a $100+ million upgrade. It's worth noting that the lease at the WFC doesn't end until 2031. So we are a longggg way off still (though it does take a few years to build, but still years and years away from anything serious).

Old 07-18-2021, 03:42 PM

1,213 posts, read 956,927 times
Yeah but you have to think about what’s best for the city. Harris is worth 6B. He doesn’t have a ton of incentive to put up his own money to build a stadium in a new location. A stadium in the middle of Market would generate so much more revenue for the city than a Deep South Philly location. When I go down to watch a game (any of the four teams) I either eat and buy beer at XFinity or the stadium itself. I would love to be able to walk three blocks to my choice of bar/restaurant. The city would make so much more revenue if the Sixers relocated to Market East or somewhere on the Delaware.

Old 07-18-2021, 05:32 PM

1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
It's been 38 years since the 76ers have won the championship. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia