Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:18 PM

511 posts, read 2,199,789 times

Advertisements

Riley helped open her presents this morning, she was all wiggles and wags! Santa brought her a soft squeaky bone (currently being chewed & shreded with delight!), a ball/rope combo for fetch at the dog park, and a bag of "people crackers", lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 12:25 PM

14 posts, read 17,991 times
Got those delicious store bought bones for the dogs and some new pillows, they love pillow toys. The cat got treats.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:09 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
The new catnip-filled toy is now mangled and saliva-soaked, and the entire family was mightily entertained by Finn's antics as he rolled around on the floor licking and gnawing his new toy. Gift-opening even came to a stop for about ten minutes so that all could enjoy the show, then he keeled over in a 'nip-induced hangover, and the humans resumed their shredding.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:29 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Santa brings our kids guinea pigs gifts. Usually store bought - but he must have run out of time this year because they got their favorite fruits - wrapped and left under their personal tree. Uh huh.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Bought the senior dog a coat (just in time for Christmas blizzard) and a bone.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:51 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
We don't have children because we weren't able to have children, so I do buy the dogs one Christmas dog stocking, contents to be shared according to taste. It's more for me, than for them, since I grew up in a large family, and there's just not enough action around here to make it feel like Christmas.

Christmas Eve, midnight, I tell the dogs "Look what Santa brought" and made a ceremony of cutting open the stocking, and then dividing the toys and bones into piles by each dog. They all go quite goofy with excitement. My male GSD shreds toys, so there is not much left of them in a day or two.

However, what the male GSD also does, is simply take all the other dogs' toys and it is quite humorous to see him collecting the individual piles into one large pile for himself alone. Then he sits by the pile, guarding it and grinning. You can see him thinking, "This is mine, and this, and this, and this..."

The other female dogs do not challenge his male ideas of superiority. I find it quite interesting in how they defer to him, in spite of the fact that he is the youngest of the three. Women'slib has not reached the farm animals. But none of the dogs are big on toys because we live on a farm, so there are always more interesting dog things to do like eat manure.

But when I do my Christmas baking, they are as well-behaved as could be, on their best manners, as I do give them each a warm cookie now and then, provided it isn't made out of things like chocolate, etc.

There's an old tradition/story about how on Christmas Eve, at the stroke of midnight, animals are given back the gift of speech, in memory of the animals present in the stable when Jesus was born. It is an old Russian Mennonite tradition to feed the animals in the barn a little something extra/special on Christmas Eve so I also go to the barn Christmas Eve to do that.

Not so much special you can do for some animals but I chopped up apples and fed them to the horses piece by piece. Their regular food, combined with Front Runner, is good quality, and you can't feed them too much of Front Runner, so it is the apple treats that they particularly love.

The feral cats in the barn get the treat of canned food as opposed to dry.

This is probably just me, but I always feel as if the animals all know it is a special, holy night.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:19 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I bought our dog a chew strip called a Texas taffy which she usually likes. I put it in her stocking and she must have known it was there because she did alot of walking around the fireplace the few days before Christmas.
I gave it to her late on Christmas Day and after she had her usual treat. She wasn't too hungry so she immediately tried to bury it in the Christmas tree skirt.
Our dogs "buddy" is a yellow lab plush puppy that she would wrestle and fight with when it was bigger than her. It was originally a gift for our previous dog as a joke. She was afraid of it when she saw it under the tree thinking it was a real dog. She wouldn't come into the room for an hour and kept barking at it when it moved( with the help of my foot).
"The night the animals talked" was an animated Christmas special during the late 60s and early 70s that was a regular seasonal offering. I haven't seen it in probably 30 years but I imagine it gets shown on the religious cable networks.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
"The night the animals talked" was an animated Christmas special during the late 60s and early 70s that was a regular seasonal offering. I haven't seen it in probably 30 years but I imagine it gets shown on the religious cable networks.
Well, that's interesting. I didn't know there had been a television special made out of that old legend. We didn't have TV when I was growing up in the 60s and 70s. When I Googled the title, it came up with the special which was European in origin, and had links to the original legend, as told in Scandinavian countries. Inspirational and Christian STORIES -- The Night The Animals Talked.

The link is close to the legend as I heard it and I there must be variations of it in non-Scandinavian countries since it is known in my own culture. The "Santa" I grew up with, had nothing to do with the North American Santa, but more with St. Nicholas.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
We always buy stuffed animals for our dogs. The Yorkie sleeps with his stuffy the 2 Chihuahuas chew on theirs

Old 01-06-2010, 06:35 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I bought the cats two cards with three toy mice each for Christmas. I broke out the one card on Christmas Eve, detached the mice from the card, tossed the mice under the tree .... and all three mice promptly disappeared.

The other bag is still in their stocking, which is still hanging on the stair bannister. Maybe I'll just toss them the card with the mice still attached; see if they can shoot that under the washer/furnace/refrigerator/bookcase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets