Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:32 PM

8,953 posts, read 20,741,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Oh, yes I do understand. The Soooo was to highlight the just how bad that course is.

Yeah, Life's a witch for some then they.........die!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 08:41 PM

519 posts, read 1,052,591 times
Ms Crabcakes, I think you're a great person to think ahead financially this way.

You should build a family on a strong foundation - great marriage, 2 parents who want children and enough money to care for all your needs including health and childcare.

Children deserve and need happy parents who are able to provide financial security.

I hope you can secure well paying jobs with healthcare in the future.

I am sure you will, you seem very responsible.

I know lots of people who are having smaller families and putting children off later and later for exactly the same reasons as you.

It is becoming increasingly common as extended family drifts apart and job security drops.

Perhaps if there were a way for you to live closer to your parents they might be able to help out with daytime child care? (If they don't work)

But again, this is another problem, people are working longer and longer past their retirements too - which can prevent them from looking after and helping out with grandchildren.

I wish you all the best, I am sure things will work out for the best.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,406,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Ms Crabcakes, I think you're a great person to think ahead financially this way.
Perhaps if there were a way for you to live closer to your parents they might be able to help out with daytime child care? (If they don't work)

But again, this is another problem, people are working longer and longer past their retirements too - which can prevent them from looking after and helping out with grandchildren.

I wish you all the best, I am sure things will work out for the best.
Thanks for the thoughts. We both live close to family but his mom is in financial straits (had to cash out her 401K to cover bills) and can't afford to retire and mine is having health problems. And already said no to child care.

But appreciate your response.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Bottom line is that a person should not have anything they cannot completly support.

That could be children or late model cars with payments.

Kids can get sick just like a car that needs major repairs.

Poor comparison maybe but still it's a fact.

I speak with experience...when young I married a real good woman with two kids and we later had five more of our own.

At age 26 went into business for myself and the two of us worked real hard knowing that the results would get better...and they were.

Always made sure that we kept our expences LOW so the kids never did without. They were our priorty.

Drive older paid for cars as the car payments and interest can kill a person over time.

Before marriage I drove a Caddy vert and sold it and bought a old clunker Ford to drive...this way we could afford to get married. The Cad was paid for so there were not any payments to worry about just to have some cash in the pockets.

Problem today is that many think they have to have the latest car on the block and CC payments also.

Eliminate those two major hurdles and you can make a go of it

Steve.
Our expenses are already very low. And both of our 2000 Hondas have been paid off for years. It's the wages that are the problem; finding better paying, stable jobs. But in this economy. When will that be? Who knows?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:18 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your responses. We will just have to keep saving, working toward better employment and hoping things will turn around. First steps are moving to a better place, which we plan to do next year.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 PM

893 posts, read 519,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your responses. We will just have to keep saving, working toward better employment and hoping things will turn around. First steps are moving to a better place, which we plan to do next year.
Miss Crabcakes, are you still around? How are you doing?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
Miss Crabcakes, are you still around? How are you doing?
Yes, I am still around! And we're currently expecting our first child next July!

I've got a better job, we bought a fantastic foreclosure and we're ready. Even still, at our age (nearing 35), we needed to just take the chance and go for it. We're very excited!

Thanks for asking!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:09 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,516,071 times
Congratulations! I wondered what happened to you.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:59 PM

893 posts, read 519,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Yes, I am still around! And we're currently expecting our first child next July!

I've got a better job, we bought a fantastic foreclosure and we're ready. Even still, at our age (nearing 35), we needed to just take the chance and go for it. We're very excited!

Thanks for asking!

Definitely, that is the right decision!

Old 12-03-2012, 06:11 AM

15,906 posts, read 21,554,086 times
Congratulations, Miss Crabcakes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance