Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 AM

8,953 posts, read 20,732,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Just wondering if anyone can relate to this.

In mid 2008, my now husband and I were working full-time jobs that we loved and were earning a combined income of $90k (me $50k and he, $40k). We got engaged and planned to start working on our first baby by the end of 2010. But by the end of 2008, we'd both lost our jobs, found ourselves unemployed through most of 2009. We are both currently working temp-to-hire jobs but his is more likely to fire him than mine. If he should get hired permanently, he'd bring in $28k. Decent money but not enough to consider having a baby. If I am not hired permanently and have to go back on unemployment, I already know I'd probably get less money than before since my temp position was at half the wage I worked before. Neither of us have health insurance.

Basically, its not looking like the 2010/2011 baby will happen. We'd have to both secure decent paying jobs, with health insurance and move into a 2-bedroom apartment (which we currently can't afford). Sure, many things can happen in the next year but given the job market and the fact that its taking us nearly one year to find any kind of employment, the outlook isn't good. And even if we manage, I don't know how we'd afford day care, while I'm at work. It just seems nearly impossible.

It just has me worried that being financially stable enough to bring a child into this world may take years (if ever). We're both going on 32 and were hoping to start soon.

Can anyone relate? Is anyone else worried that they may not be able to afford a baby?
Having a child is the greatest gift God can give to any parent. The number of children is more important that letting money color your "when to have" a child at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:01 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,848,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Having a child is the greatest gift God can give to any parent. The number of children is more important that letting money color your "when to have" a child at all.
Soooo not the route to take.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:21 AM

8,953 posts, read 20,732,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Soooo not the route to take.
Your "Soooo" tells me that you are not mature enough to understand my meaning.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:51 AM

412 posts, read 941,724 times
I hope things turn around quickly for the OP. That's a sad situation. Are there any steps you can take to start saving and getting ready for having the baby? Cutting back on expenses, looking for 2nd jobs, etc.

For those that think that the OP shouldn't let money affect their decision, let's be realistic. She said that they can't afford a 2 bedroom apartment. While it's possible to raise your kid in a one bedroom apartment, would you really want to do that? Also, they're just working temp jobs and don't have insurance. Having a baby right now would bring a lot of stress into their lives.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:36 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,223,882 times
Quote:
Yep, and let's keep in mind that some people's number is ZERO.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-29-2009, 04:09 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,989,160 times
Bottom line is that a person should not have anything they cannot completly support.

That could be children or late model cars with payments.

Kids can get sick just like a car that needs major repairs.

Poor comparison maybe but still it's a fact.

I speak with experience...when young I married a real good woman with two kids and we later had five more of our own.

At age 26 went into business for myself and the two of us worked real hard knowing that the results would get better...and they were.

Always made sure that we kept our expences LOW so the kids never did without. They were our priorty.

Drive older paid for cars as the car payments and interest can kill a person over time.

Before marriage I drove a Caddy vert and sold it and bought a old clunker Ford to drive...this way we could afford to get married. The Cad was paid for so there were not any payments to worry about just to have some cash in the pockets.

Problem today is that many think they have to have the latest car on the block and CC payments also.

Eliminate those two major hurdles and you can make a go of it

Steve.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:24 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,322,895 times
If you wait until you can afford them you will never have them. Mine were cheap until they hit middle school. From there out they were expensive.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:24 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,184,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Yep, and let's keep in mind that some people's number is ZERO.
Yeah, what 20 said. Sometimes the best gift God can give is NO kids.

Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 PM

15,851 posts, read 35,223,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
If you wait until you can afford them you will never have them. Mine were cheap until they hit middle school. From there out they were expensive.
I guess it depends on how you raise them and what you let them get away with. I know people who have several children and I do not believe that they are particularly costly. Of course, they do not give them everything they want either. The older kids have jobs that they earn money to buy the things that they want.

Many years ago (when I was a kid), other than food, I did not cost my parents anything really. Oh, I got a new pair of shoes and jeans when the school year started, but it was before the time when kids had cell phones and video games and back when I went to school, the only students who were allowed to drive a car were Seniors with a C average or better.

My how things change.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-29-2009, 08:21 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,848,354 times
Quote:
Your "Soooo" tells me that you are not mature enough to understand my meaning.
Oh, yes I do understand. The Soooo was to highlight the just how bad that course is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance