Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:55 AM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am making just under $24k a year. At this income level, just keeping afloat is a challenge. I can barely pay basic bills, let alone invest anything. I need a lot more income to simply pay off some debt. If I were able to break into the $40k-$50k range like where I was last year, I could start investing again and paying off debt. I can't even imagine the mess I'd be in with kids.

Yes, lifestyles increase as income goes up, but it doesn't go up linearly. I might buy a lot more at Whole Foods if I was back in the $40k range, but my eating habits wouldn't change greatly from $40k to $80k. That extra income on the top side left over after subsistence is the investment money.
I make more than 40K and I still never go to Whole Foods.

24K is pretty low....but even at that level, I bet you spend money on stuff that aren't true needs. Almost everyone does.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-27-2013 at 01:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,912,410 times
To anyone who once had nothing and is now worth 7 or 8 figures:

1. Yes, if I worked hard and did not spend as much money as I earned - as well as investing as much of my money as possible back into my business and avoided business loans and credit as much as possible. Another critical part of the equation was not having kids and getting a vasectomy. I have saved at least tens of thousands alone with that: lawyers, child support, etc.

2. I'm not exactly bouncing off the walls since I had to work very hard for it and most of my friends have way more money than I do and it came far easier, including getting a lot of help from parents: trust fund distributions.

3. It should have taken about a few years - but a few things interfered along the way: like skydiving, traveling, strippers and high maintenance flight attendant girlfriends.

4. Think outside of the box, never give up and no matter how many times you fall down - get back up.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:43 AM

38 posts, read 75,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
To anyone who once had nothing and is now worth 7 or 8 figures:

3. It should have taken about a few years - but a few things interfered along the way: like skydiving, traveling, strippers and high maintenance flight attendant girlfriends.

Bwahahahahaha

Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I am making just under $24k a year. At this income level, just keeping afloat is a challenge. I can barely pay basic bills, let alone invest anything. I need a lot more income to simply pay off some debt. If I were able to break into the $40k-$50k range like where I was last year, I could start investing again and paying off debt. I can't even imagine the mess I'd be in with kids.

Yes, lifestyles increase as income goes up, but it doesn't go up linearly. I might buy a lot more at Whole Foods if I was back in the $40k range, but my eating habits wouldn't change greatly from $40k to $80k. That extra income on the top side left over after subsistence is the investment money.
Debt? Therein lies the problem. Don't borrow money!

Old 01-01-2014, 08:57 AM

929 posts, read 2,093,220 times
I'm a big believer in living on much less than you make. You just can't out earn stupid financial spending decisions. The thought that you have to have large incomes to achieve this is just not so. You do need to manage your financial house by not wasting cash on stupid things and continue to fund your retirement goals by investing in diversified mutual funds. It takes discipline and time, but is quite possible for most families. You just can't try to live like the neighbors next door.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM

106,750 posts, read 108,937,910 times
i have always attacked things from the opposite side. once i started earning a decent living i was never a very frugal person. i managed to save but worrying about pinching pennies or not driving new cars was not what i wanted to do.

so i learned to invest what i did manage to save better and more effectively and that gave me the growth and allowed more spending.

most folks go the opposite, they pinch pennies and then don't do much with the money so it grows little. a penny saved is a penny earned but it still stays a penny.

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-01-2014 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
I have six figures, which I inherited, and I put it where it is difficult to access, and I haven't touched it, I still live on my Social Security. So it hasn't had any effect at all on my lifestyle, except the peace of mind of knowing it is there. If I had 7 figures, I don't know if I would be a little more liberal with my spending. The family car cost $1,000, last summer, to replace the $800 one that lasted two years. We own the Michigan house, and rent in Texas.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM

35,714 posts, read 21,081,460 times
I used to be in great place financially before 9-11 ---10 yrs in a sweet job, cruising the Bahamas and crash- not only 9-11 but many other bad things happened, deaths, hurricanes etc- picking up the pieces now- but you know things just happen,,, bouncing back is not always "quick"- thankful all is well- but yet to get back what I lost financially

Old 01-01-2014, 05:46 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,914,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i have always attacked things from the opposite side. once i started earning a decent living i was never a very frugal person. i managed to save but worrying about pinching pennies or not driving new cars was not what i wanted to do.

so i learned to invest what i did manage to save better and more effectively and that gave me the growth and allowed more spending.

most folks go the opposite, they pinch pennies and then don't do much with the money so it grows little. a penny saved is a penny earned but it still stays a penny.
I agree with you. I'm maybe somewhere in the middle though on the "frugal" discussion : I don't pinch pennies when it comes to vacations and going out with friends etc. but we still drive reliable used cars as opposed to new ones for example - we're somewhat thrifty, just not on the penny-pincher, frugal level. We pick and choose our "nice" stuff.

However, we invest heavily and we are planning to dip our toes in the rental property realm this year maybe. I agree 100% that it is very important to actually make the money work for you when people do save it. Too many people "save" money and are very frugal but then just stuff that money in their mattress essentially.

Some people make $10 a month and are very frugal and only spend $3 and put $7 in a savings account. They then might look at someone like me who spends $5 of my $10 and thinks I spend too much. But the key is that I invest the other $5 in the market and funding side-stream incomes. Over time the person investing and funding other ventures should snowball a LOT more money than the person who pinches pennies and sits on it. So far it has worked out very well for me.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,914,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Debt? Therein lies the problem. Don't borrow money!
unless you can leverage the debt to make more money. IE: in some cases it makes sense to buy a car cash. Other times if you are getting a really low interest rate, it makes more sense to take the loan and invest the money. Say you had $20,000 to buy a car. Instead of paying cash, sometimes it's better to take that 0.9% loan and then invest the $20,000 and pay the cheap loan for a few years. During that time, you could probably crush the 0.9%. and come out farther ahead than paying cash. Paying cash you spent $20,000. If you take the 0.9% loan, sure you may pay $20,300 for the $20,000 car but at 7% a year in the market you would have also made $8000, so you actually came out $7,700 ahead . Even if you put it in a 2% CD you could earn $2200 and come out $1900 ahead of paying the cash.

The debt problem is when people take out lots of loans for stuff they can't actually afford. In some cases, when you already can afford stuff, it makes sense to leverage cheap money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance