Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 02:04 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,150 times

Advertisements

Is this program easy to use? Are you going to use it this yr?

If you have used it in the past which version did you get?

We do not have any rental property etc., basically some income from a few sources (retirement, ssi, disability); but do own our home (which is not quite finished yet) and lots of medical deductions etc.

Will not go to HRB..

Thanks for info.

HW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:16 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,891 times
I think the premier version? You definitely don't need the Home and Business version. Check their website, they have a breakdown of what's in each box. And yes, once you get a bunch of deductions the tax program helps guide you along so that you don't miss anything. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:26 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
I clicked on the far left version on the main page and it was free. Did my federal on it and got my refund, all for free. Direct Deposit, had my money in no time. State however they wanted to charge me for, but I will just mail those.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:36 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
I've used TurboTax for a lot of years. It works VERY well for me.

I've also used a couple other online tax programs.

I would suggest you go online, start with the free version. You will need to upgrade, but as you are going it will show you how far you need to upgrade. No reason to buy the $99.99 version when you may very well be able to get by with just the $39.99 version.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,668,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I clicked on the far left version on the main page and it was free. Did my federal on it and got my refund, all for free. Direct Deposit, had my money in no time. State however they wanted to charge me for, but I will just mail those.
Your taxes must be very straightforward. A W2 and no outside sources of income. Certainly not self-employed.

You probably filed either 1040EZ or 1040A.

In that case, fantastic - there's nothing wrong with saving money!

Old 01-29-2010, 02:42 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
I have used TurboTax online for years and it's very simple and effective. I usually find some kind of discount through a bank or credit card company so I don't have to pay full price, but it's not that expensive since I don't have anything too complex to deal with. One year I found a code online that let me do everything, State and Fed, for FREE! Can't beat that.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,039 times
I've used turbo tax for the last 6-7 years. I agree with others, it helps if your taxes are even a little complicated. In my case, it has to fo with figuring capital gains and cost basis. If your taxes are pretty straight forward, you probably don't need the paid program.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:47 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Wold View Post
Is this program easy to use? Are you going to use it this yr?

If you have used it in the past which version did you get?

We do not have any rental property etc., basically some income from a few sources (retirement, ssi, disability); but do own our home (which is not quite finished yet) and lots of medical deductions etc.
I've used it for years. I get the Deluxe version. It's very easy, never had a problem. TT walks you through step by step.

Use it for myself (homeowner, one employer, investments), my Mom (homeowner, income from SS, pensions and investments; lots of medical, charity, etc), and assorted co-workers who are too scared to even attempt a 1040EZ

The first year my Dad was sick, I gathered up all his handwritten stuff and brought their finished taxes back to them the next day. He looked at me with a big grin on his face and said, "I'll never do them by hand again. You're in charge." LOL!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:00 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Used it for the first time this year, loved it, highly recommend it! I could just kick myself for giving H&RB the money I have over the years!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
I've used it for about the past 10 years. It's pretty straightforward and walks you through everything. I use the Deluxe - one salaried income, many investments (stocks, mutual funds, etc.) and a small eBay business which I file a Schedule C. And it works for me! I, too, go through either my credit union, Vanguard, or Fidelity's site to get a small discount on the program - usually about 20% off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance