Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 01:00 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Regarding credit card debt -- while I do think it's best to pay off the card monthly all the time, there might be times where it's best to buy something with the intent to pay it off in a certain amount of time. When we first bought our house, we were happy it came with appliances. Back then, that was rare. But in our first couple of months, the stove died.

I cook every day. Not having a stove was not acceptable. So we bought a stove, and we decided to pay it off in three months. The cost of that decision was like 15 bucks in interest charges. Much cheaper than eating crap food out to "save" for the new one for three months. Much less frustrating than trying to cook everything in a crockpot for three months....

My lesson learned here -- debt is a tool. One you have to master, just like everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:23 PM

130 posts, read 291,309 times
I didn't start poor, but I have greatly increased the assets I directly own and control. I really don't beleive their to be a great difference in methods.

You invest wisely, take some chances, use all legal methods to protect assets from taxes and exposure. Network and don't laugh at anyone's ideas

Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM

211 posts, read 289,924 times
Not a millionaire yet, but def. planning to be one. Two words that come to mind: Hard, work.

A person searching for a nickel more likely to find one than someone not. A person who works hard has a high probability of of success than one that sits around asking for hand outs.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Regarding credit card debt -- while I do think it's best to pay off the card monthly all the time, there might be times where it's best to buy something with the intent to pay it off in a certain amount of time. When we first bought our house, we were happy it came with appliances. Back then, that was rare. But in our first couple of months, the stove died.

I cook every day. Not having a stove was not acceptable. So we bought a stove, and we decided to pay it off in three months. The cost of that decision was like 15 bucks in interest charges. Much cheaper than eating crap food out to "save" for the new one for three months. Much less frustrating than trying to cook everything in a crockpot for three months....

My lesson learned here -- debt is a tool. One you have to master, just like everything else.
a bit uncomfortable discussing stuff with people with a moderator star , but
i agree with most of what you said. unfortunately most people are frankly not functioning at your level of maturity and the mastercard is far more like a fly paper trap than an economic tool. its like lay's potato chips hard to take just one.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i agree with most of what you said. unfortunately most people are frankly not functioning at your level of maturity and the mastercard is far more like a fly paper trap than an economic tool. its like lay's potato chips hard to take just one.
Maybe some people shouldn't have knives in their kitchen - after all, it's pretty easy to chop your fingers off, if you have them sharpened.
The thread is about ways people get to wealth, and some of them do it using credit as a tool. They are probably mature enough not to get trapped into unreasonable spending with a credit card, and that is part of the reason they achieve their financial status.
I guess, you can cook without knives, but it may be much harder.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Maybe some people shouldn't have knives in their kitchen - after all, it's pretty easy to chop your fingers off, if you have them sharpened.
The thread is about ways people get to wealth, and some of them do it using credit as a tool. They are probably mature enough not to get trapped into unreasonable spending with a credit card, and that is part of the reason they achieve their financial status.
I guess, you can cook without knives, but it may be much harder.
normally i would agree with you but considering the amount of unsecured debt in the average home i would say that you have got an awful lot of people out there missing fingers. how bout a nice tupperware plastic knife?

Old 12-26-2013, 02:16 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,045,127 times
Quote:
. how bout a nice tupperware plastic knife?
Sure, but don't dream about becoming a famous chef!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:30 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times
Quote:
That's funny -- I just ate three potato chips at lunch. Rolled the bag up and put it away. And I will never ever smite you just for disagreeing.

In reality, most cardholders pay off our cards monthly. It's not the vast majority of us, but over 1/2 of the people who use credit cards do. Add that to the people who do not have credit cards at all....

But the point is managing credit cards and managing debt is a skill that needs to be learned.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Statistics of a recent Consumer Reports survey:
One-third of Americans do not own a credit card.
54% pay their balance in full each month
33% carry balances up to $10,000 (median balance: $2,254)
13% carry balances over $10,000 (median balance: $17,366)
- See more at: Credit card debt statistics – Compiled by HoffmanBrinker.com

Old 12-27-2013, 12:48 AM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I don't have a dime of my retirement investments in bonds, because of the Fed still undergoing this unprecedented purchasing program. Bond prices are overinflated to the point of absurdity right now and you're better off with just stocks, real estate, and perhaps a very small amount of cash or gold.
That might work for you. But I aimed my point at most people. Most people simply can't handle a 100% allocation to stocks. Bonds hold up much better when stocks crash.

I agree bonds are generally a lousy investment right now. I still have about 22% of my retirement funds in bonds. It's a global bond fund, so that helps a bit as far as interest rates/income goes, but interest rates are pretty low all over the world...It's only up 2% so far this year...better than average. I learned the hard way I couldn't handle a 100% stock allocation. Now the computer automatically rebalances my retirement portfolio every quarter. Takes a lot of the stress away.

But bottom line is the research shows most people actually get better returns from balanced funds because they stick with them for longer periods of time.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 12-27-2013 at 01:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance