Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,170,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I didn't read all the posts (gotta go bake brownies before hubby wakes up, he's on the night shift right now).

We are a family of four and my husband's pay was around 32K/year for the last three years (he just got a better job a couple of months ago). For the three years before that, he worked a full-time job and a part-time job to end up with the same income. We live in a low cost of living area which helps. I haven't worked since our youngest was born 9 years ago.

Here's a look at our bills:

mortgage: 990
electric: 150
water: 50
car ins.: 75
internet: 60
credit cards: 50
cell phones: 120
trash: 20

So his take home is about 2300/month and the bills total about 1500. That leaves 800 for gas and groceries. Gas is about 300/month because his daily driver is a truck with a v8 (we bought the truck for 1400 on craigslist). I spend about 400/month on groceries and toiletries and kid clothes, all together. I cut everyone's hair at home, shop for clothes at thrift stores, repair our cars and appliances myself, mend and alter our clothes, groom the dogs at home...basically any service we'd be paying for, I learn how to do it myself to save money.

Wehave enough to pay our bills every month but no way to save. If we need something major, like a fridge or another old used car, he works a part time job. We get a tax refund every year of about $3,000 which goes in our savings account to cover things like dr visit copays, car registration, hoa dues, repairs that I am not able to make, etc. It is usually gone by the end of the year.

So that's how we afford to live.
yep you pop out a few dependents then you don't have to pay any taxes. 2300/month was my take home when i was making 40k :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,375,073 times
Your single and have no dependents. Do what many of us did and get a second job. Save that money untill you have plenty to invest. Build from there.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,074,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
This is a serious question.

I just landed a "good" job finally in which I can apply the skills I've learned in school and contribute to society. This job that is in very much a in-demand position in an area that will be greatly needed in the future is paying a mere 32k/year. What's deceiving is that the statistics that I saw prior to getting into the field was that the average salary for this job was much higher (45k/year to be exact). Thinking that this might be an outlier of sorts, another job in a same area doing the same thing is paying just about the same amount of money.

So I am looking into housing and purchasing a vehicle. INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE!

My entire PAYCHECK is going to be going to be paying to simply live.

AND I'M A relatively young, SINGLE MAN with no family, animals, medical bills, etc!

I have NO idea how families are doing it. I see all these huge trucks / SUVs (I see at over 30k at the dealerships) on the road (no doubt they are gas hogs as well). I with my great job am looking at some 2001 vehicle so I can pay cash and not dig another $15k or so of debt to my tally. I could get into food, utilities, cable, internet, Iphones, etc.. I have a little used phone I got off Amazon with just about the cheapest plan available (no smart phone). Eating out? forget that.. can barely afford to eat in.

So a little rant. What's kind of funny (got to laugh about it) is that this job is a promotion from a "good pay" of $9.75/hr.. a mere $750 check give or take for a two-week pay period. For those with one of these Dodge Ram's, probably that entire paycheck is paying for the payment and gas.. not including Rent, Food, Taxes, etc..

I am amazed.. I don't know how people are doing it.. I guess the welfare system is keeping this economy a float.

All the hard work finally paid off.. as I push my rusty bucket on wheels down the road hoping to get to work.
Starting salaries are generally low, and ramp up.

At my wife's last job, she started out at 50k and was making 75k after 3 years.

As an aside, many people don't save what they are supposed to, instead they buy stuff.

Further, a couple shares the cost of things like food, healthcare, rent, and utilities. Which means more money can be allocated to fun stuff.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:28 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,498,196 times
If your car works fine, doesn't waste too much gas (let's say around 30mpg highway or higher), and isn't costing too much to maintain or insure, just drive it till the previous conditions no longer apply.. doesn't matter if it's got 200,000 or 300,000 miles.. doesn't matter if you make $100,000+ a year and it's KBB is only $1000.

That, and get roommates/housemates.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:58 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,575,941 times
Quote:

I just landed a "good" job finally in which I can apply the skills I've learned in school and contribute to society. This job that is in very much a in-demand position in an area that will be greatly needed in the future is paying a mere 32k/year. What's deceiving is that the statistics that I saw prior to getting into the field was that the average salary for this job was much higher (45k/year to be exact). Thinking that this might be an outlier of sorts, another job in a same area doing the same thing is paying just about the same amount of money.

AND I'M A relatively young, SINGLE MAN with no family, animals, medical bills, etc!

I have NO idea how families are doing it. I see all these huge trucks / SUVs (I see at over 30k at the dealerships) on the road (no doubt they are gas hogs as well). I with my great job am looking at some 2001 vehicle so I can pay cash and not dig another $15k or so of debt to my tally. I could get into food, utilities, cable, internet, Iphones, etc.. I have a little used phone I got off Amazon with just about the cheapest plan available (no smart phone). Eating out? forget that.. can barely afford to eat in.

So a little rant. What's kind of funny (got to laugh about it) is that this job is a promotion from a "good pay" of $9.75/hr.. a mere $750 check give or take for a two-week pay period. For those with one of these Dodge Ram's, probably that entire paycheck is paying for the payment and gas.. not including Rent, Food, Taxes, etc..

I am amazed.. I don't know how people are doing it.. I guess the welfare system is keeping this economy a float.

All the hard work finally paid off.. as I push my rusty bucket on wheels down the road hoping to get to work.
I did not read the entire thread so you might have discussed this. I am curious about the ACA (Obamacare) and what impact that is having on you either now or ahead. Does your employer provide insurance? I keep hearing that OC will impact younger people the hardest.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:11 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,841,453 times
i think you guys are missing his point.

a 32k wage is the norm for most adults in america (25 and over), and that was a 2005 number, so i know the number is more like 30-31 now.

the op talks about the big trucks because thats what he admires.

but if he looked around him more, he would see that the average car is a used 4 door sedan.

we deceive ourselves.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:53 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,212,041 times
those people who have the flashy things are most likely in debt. i drive a '99 accord. paid 5K cash for it a few years ago. i make about the same amount you do, just graduated in june. i held onto my crappy supermarket job so that brings in an extra 10K a year in addition to my new job. it sucks working 50-60 hours a week, but i am aggressively paying off student loans while putting money in the bank at the same time. find a second job or start freelancing(or both). i split rent with two other people, that helps. dont buy lunch, bring your lunch to work.

its good that youre grateful for your job, but i wouldnt care much about what others make compared to you. many people who make 100K+ a year are usually miserable anyway. its good that you dont drink, thats more money savings right there.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:27 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,905,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
yep you pop out a few dependents then you don't have to pay any taxes. 2300/month was my take home when i was making 40k :/
I promise it costs more to feed, house and clothe a couple of kids than what we save in taxes Before we had kids, we lived in a 400 sq ft apartment, shared a single-cab stick-shift truck and spent $40/week on groceries. We both worked back then too. Now we need 1500 sq ft and a minivan and I spend $40/week just on fruit and vegetables. (next year I'm planting a straw bale garden to try to cut those costs)

I don't know anyone who had a kid just to save on their taxes. That would be like having a kid so you could get food stamps, one of those myths that republicans like to perpetuate.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:

Welcome to the real world. I'm guessing your parents told you that if you got an education, you would be able to get a great, high paying job. Am I right? I bet they forgot to mention that you'd have to pay your dues to get to that job.

A college education is a start. But coming from a place of theory doesn't mean you're ready for the "real" job. Those people that DO have the high paying jobs started out where you are at. Be patient, and learn something along the way.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Your single and have no dependents. Do what many of us did and get a second job. Save that money untill you have plenty to invest. Build from there.
Yeah, when you're young enough to enjoy life, spend it working the night shift at a convenience store. Then when you have sciatica and arthritis and can't pass the eye test for a drivers license, live it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance