Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your retirement strategy?
I have no idea 27 12.16%
Savings/investments/house and I'm on track 105 47.30%
Savings/investment/house but I know I'm behind 37 16.67%
Corporate/gov pension so I don't need to worry 28 12.61%
I can just sell my house & downsize and should be ok 8 3.60%
I may just live abroad in a cheaper place 17 7.66%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 01:29 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've seen one guy around here that made a trailer from conduit and plywood to two his mower behind his bicycle... quite ingenious

Actually that's a great idea I hadn't thought of - but should have. In Portland it's not uncommon to see bicycles with small detached 'trailers' used to carry stuff (groceries, dogs, pretty much anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times
I didn't vote in the poll because we are retired and none of the options really fit us. I retired a few years ago, and Mrs. Tek the beginning of 2012.

How? We actually saved money, did some investing, and were conservative in our spending for 42 years. It's not that difficult if one shows some reasonable restraint.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:26 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,020,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I didn't vote in the poll because we are retired and none of the options really fit us. I retired a few years ago, and Mrs. Tek the beginning of 2012.

How? We actually saved money, did some investing, and were conservative in our spending for 42 years. It's not that difficult if one shows some reasonable restraint.
What percent of your gross income (before taxes) did you spend/save while employed and what percentage of your gross income do you spend in retirement?

I wonder because I hear people say you spend 80% of your gross income in retirement I think this seems a little high.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:26 PM

1,784 posts, read 3,461,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

I wonder because I hear people say you spend 80% of your gross income in retirement I think this seems a little high.
Really?? I agree that seems crazy high.

I mean, if you've saving diligently for retirement (and other savings) now, you're probably only spending 50%-60% of your gross income on expenses. So ideally in retirement you have a lower house expenditure (either paid off mortgage or downsized), you're not paying for your kids anymore, and you've started to collect Social Security. How that jumps up to 80% would be a mystery. Well, I guess a lot of pricey vacations could do it actually...

Old 12-02-2012, 08:16 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,720,668 times
The traditional model was to have the home paid off by retirement...

Also, many couples no longer needed two cars and could cut back on business attire.

The widow across the street from me is 99 years old and is very frugal... Social Security and savings...

She knows where every penny goes and can tell how much she needs to cover her expenses going forward...

The one thing she didn't count on was interest rates near zero.

Today, she told me she has a 10k CD at the local bank and each month they mail her the interest of $3.33

She used to get $50 a month and now it's $3 and change.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
Well, I guess a lot of pricey vacations could do it actually...
And classes, and concerts, and theater, and eating out.....

Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,491,948 times
Quote:

I mean, if you've saving diligently for retirement (and other savings) now, you're probably only spending 50%-60% of your gross income on expenses. So ideally in retirement you have a lower house expenditure (either paid off mortgage or downsized), you're not paying for your kids anymore, and you've started to collect Social Security. How that jumps up to 80% would be a mystery. Well, I guess a lot of pricey vacations could do it actually...

A lot of (lower income) people pay 40%-50% of their income for housing (rent) while working. When they retire, they now pay MORE than whatever they were paying while working, as rent never goes away and almost never decreases, while their retirement income usually decreases. And if they're spending 40%-50% of income on rent while they are working, they're probably not saving for retirement.

So right away in retirement they are spending half their income on housing before spending a dime on food, healthcare, and anything else.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:50 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,020,179 times
Quote:

That's what so called financial professionals say people need saved up.

I agree it is ridiculous it has no basis just like a lot of what they say. I spend about 30% of my gross income right now and I would end less if I were retired.

Old 12-03-2012, 02:55 AM

106,796 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
What percent of your gross income (before taxes) did you spend/save while employed and what percentage of your gross income do you spend in retirement?

no one can speak for anyone else as far as their needs . what you need to retire is no different then the amounts of income we all need to live when we are working. there is no rule of thumb for the most part and everyone is unique.

we are figuring more than we made while working as the budget for our early retirement years.

we have so much to see and do that working prevented us from doing.

with us we find time cost money and one thing we will have lots of in retirement is time.

while some may be content not doing much or living life as cheaply as they can we on the other hand want to see and do as much as we can experience while we are still healthy in retirement and we know thats going to take quite a bit of dough.

we dont see expenses dropping much as we age either. we just see the spending shifting from ourselves to shifting to others. perhaps helping with education expenses for the grandchildren or trips with the family doing things they may not do on their own because of the expense..

money like water will always find its own level. thats one thing you never have to worry about what to do with.

retirement is something i certainly would rather over-plan for then under-plan for.

that retirement graveyard of failed retirements is just filled with those who under-planned. i would venture to say there are very few in there that over-planned.

its an awful feeling even having to go through retirement nail biting and angsting over the next big un-anticipated expense coming down the pike because every expense that pulls you out of budget is a major big deal .

over planning and having the hot water heater go isnt even an issue but when you planned hand to mouth everything is a problem.

expenses dont hit conforming to a budget. a new roof or major dental work can severly effect next years income if you have a big lump sum to pay out.

even worse are events like divorce , illness or having to help bail out family members from unexpected problems when your retired.

as far as my thoughts on the subject you should set your savings goals as high as you can and hope for the best . at the least your heirs will thank you.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-03-2012 at 03:56 AM..

Old 12-03-2012, 04:10 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,129,369 times
What are medical expenses like in retirement, when you are pushing 80? Is it all covered by Medicare? Do I need to plan for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance