Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 09:21 AM

533 posts, read 481,182 times

Advertisements

My family and I wish to move to Florida.

I am in IT (data analysis, programming, software management), and live with Seasoned Citizen relatives.

So far we are thinking of Escambia, Santa Rosa or Okaloosa Counties. Did some research, have several questions

Initial requirements
1. What are decent, safe rental communities (once we are there, then we'll think about buying home)

2. Near to work, i.e. 15 minute drive (I heard there is Eglin Air Force Base, please tell if there are other Department of Defense (or Federal) agencies)

3. Close to big grocery stores. Perhaps there is equivalent of https://www.3guysfrombrooklyn.com/ (we cook at home)

4. Close to Hospitals (I live with Seasoned Citizens who touch-wood are still sharp and somewhat active)

5. Place that allows you to walk to instead of take car, public transportation. Or there should be minimal driving

6. Avoid water (due to hurricane risk), just want quiet, safe neighborhood

I appreciate all your guidance

Last edited by Priya36; 05-08-2021 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 10:28 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
My family and I wish to move to Florida.

I am in IT (data analysis, programming, software management), and live with Seasoned Citizen relatives.

So far we are thinking of Escambia, Santa Rosa or Okaloosa Counties. Did some research, have several questions

I am only addressing Okaloosa County

Initial requirements
1. What are decent, safe rental communities (once we are there, then we'll think about buying home)

Not sure what you mean by Rental communities. The county is a mix, rental usually offered by military who have moved and don't want to sell. Apts are hit and miss is the area.

2. Near to work, i.e. 15 minute drive (I heard there is Eglin Air Force Base, please tell if there are other Department of Defense (or Federal) agencies)

A 15 drive is not really realistic, unless you want to live right on top of the base. That puts you in Shalimar and Niceville. Shalimar is tiny little burb, but has homes and townhouses, but on the low-end and rather old. New there is $$$. Niceville is very sought after, rentals for houses can run well over $2500 for an older smaller home. And go quick due to the schools. The furthest part of Niceville (BlueWater Bay can be a 20-minute commute on a good day.

There are actually 3 major bases, Eglin, Hurlburt and the 7th SFG/Duke Field in the north end of the county new Crestview. Pensacola Naval Air station is over in Pensacola and Whiting Field in SRC.

3. Close to big grocery stores. Perhaps there is equivalent of https://www.3guysfrombrooklyn.com/ (we cook at home)

We have Walmart and Publix

4. Close to Hospitals (I live with Seasoned Citizens who touch-wood are still sharp and somewhat active)

We have hospitals...some good some bad. But all relatively close. Unless you head to the north end of the county which is more rural.

5. Place that allows you to walk to instead of take car, public transportation. Or there should be minimal driving

Not gonna happen in Okaloosa county

6. No need to be near water, just want quiet, safe neighborhood

Everything is "near" water here. Living on it is $$$$

I appreciate all your guidance
What you really need to provide is your budget. Do you need good schools? How much space? Safe is relative to where you are coming from. It is generally safe in the entire area, but some are safer than others.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
What you really need to provide is your budget. Do you need good schools? How much space? Safe is relative to where you are coming from. It is generally safe in the entire area, but some are safer than others.

Thank you for your replies.

Maybe $2k rent max. Because if you rent, you can always leave. Goal is to purchase home, but person can get better idea once they've lived in the area.

I graduated school long time ago :-)

If there are Universities nearby, do let me know. Fortunately person can opt for online training nowadays.

Space? More space the better, I guess. I'm from Brooklyn, NY and we are cramped!

We should fee safe in our home 24 hours, and when commuting to work, running errands, etc.

Safety meaning, no street harassment, no one punching you in the face for fun, no one charging at your car, no break-ins, etc.

I can go on and on.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:10 AM

Quote:
A 15 drive is not really realistic, unless you want to live right on top of the base. That puts you in Shalimar and Niceville. Shalimar is tiny little burb, but has homes and townhouses, but on the low-end and rather old. New there is $$$. Niceville is very sought after, rentals for houses can run well over $2500 for an older smaller home. And go quick due to the schools. The furthest part of Niceville (BlueWater Bay can be a 20-minute commute on a good day. There are actually 3 major bases, Eglin, Hurlburt and the 7th SFG/Duke Field in the north end of the county new Crestview. Pensacola Naval Air station is over in Pensacola and Whiting Field in SRC.
I will research this further, thank you!

Old 05-08-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your replies.

Maybe $2k rent max. Because if you rent, you can always leave. Goal is to purchase home, but person can get better idea once they've lived in the area.

I graduated school long time ago :-)

If there are Universities nearby, do let me know. Fortunately person can opt for online training nowadays.

Space? More space the better, I guess. I'm from Brooklyn, NY and we are cramped!

We should fee safe in our home 24 hours, and when commuting to work, running errands, etc.

Safety meaning, no street harassment, no one punching you in the face for fun, no one charging at your car, no break-ins, etc.

I can go on and on.
School was referring to children needing school. There is a State University here, but isn't small.

Space really means do you want a house, town house, apt, 3 bedrooms, 4 bedrooms etc. Minimum requirements would help.

You will safe everywhere around here. Street harassment isn't really a thing here. Breakins are really dependent on where you live, most decent neighborhoods isn't not really a problem.

Have you ever been to this region of flordia? Highly recommend before you make the move.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
School was referring to children needing school. There is a State University here, but isn't small.

Space really means do you want a house, town house, apt, 3 bedrooms, 4 bedrooms etc. Minimum requirements would help.

You will safe everywhere around here. Street harassment isn't really a thing here. Breakins are really dependent on where you live, most decent neighborhoods isn't not really a problem.

Have you ever been to this region of flordia? Highly recommend before you make the move.

State University is good!

Prefer apartment, 3 bedroom, 2 bath.

Otherwise house like rancher (single floor) or house with minimum flight of steps.

I look forward to visiting Florida panhandle before making the move. I really want to visit. Just need to do my homework first :-)

Old 05-08-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
State University is good!

Prefer apartment, 3 bedroom, 2 bath.

Otherwise house like rancher (single floor) or house with minimum flight of steps.

I look forward to visiting Florida panhandle before making the move. I really want to visit. Just need to do my homework first :-)
As noted above apartments aren't really a thing here, not like NY. In Niceville for instance there are maybe 3 nice apartment complexes and nothing like what you are used to. Many houses are ranch-style around here, actually, it is more common than a two-story. Shalimar doesn't really any apts I would live in, Fort Walton has some and some are pretty decent, but again not what you might call desirable.

The college is North West Florida State College, a good school but more like a commuter school. No housing on campus etc. And I imagine not what you might have in mind for a State University.

Before you visit, I would actually do a google map search and look at the area that way. This area is what I refer to as a one-story town! The only buildings that are more than 2 stories are banks and hotels.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
As noted above apartments aren't really a thing here, not like NY. In Niceville for instance there are maybe 3 nice apartment complexes and nothing like what you are used to. Many houses are ranch-style around here, actually, it is more common than a two-story. Shalimar doesn't really any apts I would live in, Fort Walton has some and some are pretty decent, but again not what you might call desirable.

The college is North West Florida State College, a good school but more like a commuter school. No housing on campus etc. And I imagine not what you might have in mind for a State University.

Before you visit, I would actually do a google map search and look at the area that way. This area is what I refer to as a one-story town! The only buildings that are more than 2 stories are banks and hotels.
Commuter school is perfect!

You give a lot of great info! I'm going to research and if you have more insights please share.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option Trader View Post
pick another State based on what you said, maybe S GA
Only Florida, esp the beautiful Panhandle!

Old 05-09-2021, 11:56 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,216,731 times
The closest city you're gonna find with the requirements you listed are gonna be Mobile, Alabama. Maybe you'll find it in Pensacola. Really your only 2 options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola