Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 12:04 PM

533 posts, read 481,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
The closest city you're gonna find with the requirements you listed are gonna be Mobile, Alabama. Maybe you'll find it in Pensacola. Really your only 2 options
hmmmmm

I know nice people are from Alabama, but I really want to stay in Florida, especially Panhandle.

I heard about Pensacola. From some posts here, I heard one has to be careful around certain neighborhoods.

I'd like to drive little as possible (I'm one of those 55 mph drivers on the right lane), but I am more concerned about crime.

I will do further research on Pensacola.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 06:27 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priya36 View Post
hmmmmm

I know nice people are from Alabama, but I really want to stay in Florida, especially Panhandle.

I heard about Pensacola. From some posts here, I heard one has to be careful around certain neighborhoods.

I'd like to drive little as possible (I'm one of those 55 mph drivers on the right lane), but I am more concerned about crime.

I will do further research on Pensacola.
Well in most of the panhandle the normal roads you will be driving on are not highway at all. For instance, if you were to work at Eglin you would travel on Highway 20 from Niceville, and it is literally not over 45, though it can get faster, but it isn't a highway by any means. Coming from other directions it is highway, but even on the worst days, nothing like what you may be used to.

But you do seem to be under the impression that this area is urban, when in fact it is barely suburban. There are not huge areas of anything (subdivisions, shopping districts etc) it is all mixed up, with mainly strip malls etc. Destin has the majority of the real shopping around here, at least for those living in Niceville. We have to cross the bridge to get to Home Depot, Target etc. FWB has more shopping, as does Pensacola.

There is nowhere around here where you can walk to shopping etc, zero public transportation etc. It is even tough to get an uber in Niceville!

Old 05-10-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Well in most of the panhandle the normal roads you will be driving on are not highway at all. For instance, if you were to work at Eglin you would travel on Highway 20 from Niceville, and it is literally not over 45, though it can get faster, but it isn't a highway by any means. Coming from other directions it is highway, but even on the worst days, nothing like what you may be used to.

But you do seem to be under the impression that this area is urban, when in fact it is barely suburban. There are not huge areas of anything (subdivisions, shopping districts etc) it is all mixed up, with mainly strip malls etc. Destin has the majority of the real shopping around here, at least for those living in Niceville. We have to cross the bridge to get to Home Depot, Target etc. FWB has more shopping, as does Pensacola.

There is nowhere around here where you can walk to shopping etc, zero public transportation etc. It is even tough to get an uber in Niceville!
What is FWB? Is it Fort Walton Beach?

I like big open spaces. City is too cramped!

Old 05-10-2021, 09:49 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
Quote:
What is FWB? Is it Fort Walton Beach?

I like big open spaces. City is too cramped!
Yes, sorry. We have big open spaces...sort of. You really need to come down here before you move...it may not meet your expectations at all.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Yes, sorry. We have big open spaces...sort of. You really need to come down here before you move...it may not meet your expectations at all.
Why are you sorry?

This info is helpful.

I'm more concerned about crime than anything (especially where I'm from right now).

Then there is issue of conveyance, i.e. how easy is it to get from A to B (at least in the beginning).

And of course, open spaces. From Google Earth, a place like Pensacola (which seems to have more conveyance) looks more spacious than NYC.

And I notice lot of rancher homes, which is good for housekeeping (I used to live in 2 story house and vacuuming the steps is arduous!)

I appreciate you feedback

Old 05-10-2021, 11:38 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option Trader View Post
pick another State based on what you said, maybe S GA
Quote:
Only Florida, esp the beautiful Panhandle!
The state line doesn't change geography. Check out Fairhope AL and Valdosta GA. with similar geography. Both are excellent small cities with a high standard of living.

https://www.visitvaldosta.org/

https://www.livegulfshoreslocal.com/...g-to-fairhope/

Old 05-10-2021, 01:33 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,215,943 times
Is there a particular reason why you want to be on the panhandle? A lot of what you like, you are likely not gonna find. Baldwin County (particularly Fairhope and Daphne) seems to have a lot of the needs you are looking for along with the geography as the rest of the panhandle

Old 05-10-2021, 02:50 PM

396 posts, read 417,086 times
Seems that OP has some sort of vison in their head of this area, and they will be sorely disappointed.

Old 05-11-2021, 04:37 AM

337 posts, read 448,298 times
A financial factor desiring to be in the panhandle of Florida versus across the border in Alabama or Georgia, is not having to pay state income taxes in Florida. I get that they make up money with vehicle fees other ways, but not state taxing your income, is important to me.

Old 05-11-2021, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Is there a particular reason why you want to be on the panhandle? A lot of what you like, you are likely not gonna find. Baldwin County (particularly Fairhope and Daphne) seems to have a lot of the needs you are looking for along with the geography as the rest of the panhandle
There are some complex reasons :-)

But maybe I'll look at the other places you mentioned.

I need to put a lot of thought into moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola