Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:23 PM

621 posts, read 1,423,070 times

Advertisements

went to visit a friend yesterday and her little guy barked at me non stop for most of the 1 hr I was there. If I moved, he screamed like I had a hatchet in my hand. If I turned my head and looked at him, he tore out of the room barking like the devil was after him.

The entire time the owner would, (now and then), say.... Oh Poopsie stop that. Or, after a couple of minutes of barking she would walk over and threaten him with a sheet of paper. A sheet mind you, not a rolled up newspaper! She would just rattle an actual sheet of newsprint!!! Huh, didn't seem to phase him, so I'm not sure if she ever corrected him with an advertisement before?

The dog barked and barked and barked... we attempted to continue the conversation.

I so wanted to clip a leash onto this little cute dog (he is an adorable little guy) and teach him what Be Quiet means. Every time he barked (not every 30 times) he would have received a very light correction, followed by a pat on the head, and I know after 10 minutes he would have given in. I really felt sorry for him. The dog was conflicted!

Moral to the story... be kind to your pooch and quit nagging them! If you want to stop a behaviour be consistent, take the time to do the work, and do it! We won't think you are cruel, or mean, or mistreating the dog. If you don't think they know they won't get corrected when company is over...... yes they do!!!

If company comes, explain that you have a pooch in training and that you might be doing some corrections to stop annoying barking or whatever. Then DO IT!! Dont let people tell you..."Oh I don't mind, or IT's Ok if he barks..." It's not, and they do mind. I did!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
I have a headache just thinking about it. Two headaches. One for the noise and one for the poor dog having to live that way.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM

19,854 posts, read 12,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I have a headache just thinking about it. Two headaches. One for the noise and one for the poor dog having to live that way.
I was thinking the same thing!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:40 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,298,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I was thinking the same thing!
LOL! Me 3. OMG, I couldn't have stayed. (I wonder if the dog feels the same)

Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
Terrible.
Just terrible.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,240,304 times
Oh my how sad for everyone. Maybe you can kindly suggest professional training for your friend?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:46 AM

4,604 posts, read 5,780,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion2 View Post
Oh my how sad for everyone. Maybe you can kindly suggest professional training for your friend?
I agree. That owner really needs professional training. Then maybe she can train the poor dog.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM

25,974 posts, read 22,154,119 times
One of the things that I find is that the owner will carry on in sentences. I have two dogs and the offending one usually gets the message when I say "No?" I don't have a conversation with them. A look and "no" takes care of it usually. The chow mix tends to question me now that she is getting older so I walk over and put a finger on her, press down and look her in the eye and say "no" and that takes care of the issue. I would have to admit that in the earlier days, the lessons I learned from Cesar Milan, "The Dog Whisperer" really helped with the chow mix since she was rather timid when we adopted her at 12 weeks, a stray picked up by animal control. She overcame timid but it really wasn't easy and then we dealt with "bold" to get to the middle road of a well-adjusted dog.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:17 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,912,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
One of the things that I find is that the owner will carry on in sentences. I have two dogs and the offending one usually gets the message when I say "No?" I don't have a conversation with them. A look and "no" takes care of it usually. The chow mix tends to question me now that she is getting older so I walk over and put a finger on her, press down and look her in the eye and say "no" and that takes care of the issue. I would have to admit that in the earlier days, the lessons I learned from Cesar Milan, "The Dog Whisperer" really helped with the chow mix since she was rather timid when we adopted her at 12 weeks, a stray picked up by animal control. She overcame timid but it really wasn't easy and then we dealt with "bold" to get to the middle road of a well-adjusted dog.
Exactly. Dogs don't speak words and they fully understand, direct, and teach self discipline to each other. We can do it too if we're willing to learn how.

Then you have your compulsive talkers. Yikes.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,780,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Exactly. Dogs don't speak words and they fully understand, direct, and teach self discipline to each other. We can do it too if we're willing to learn how.

Then you have your compulsive talkers. Yikes.
I think thats one of hte reasons dogs understand me. I'm a Yankee and thou I live in the south now, I'm still direct. Why use 10 words when 1 will work???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs