Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 AM

7 posts, read 14,886 times

Advertisements

Bill Huber is his name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:25 AM

Whoever called "Youins" Rednecks, himself/herself needs a little or probably a lot of education. Rednecks are the good ole southern boys. Ridge Runners hail from WVA. We from the Commonwealth of PA are affectionately referred to as Stump Jumpers, because of our vast and beautiful forests ! First heard that term in 1959 when attending business college in Buffalo NY, where everything is steel, glass & cement !

Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 PM

96 posts, read 165,445 times
Odd that a California "church" would buy a building in rural PA.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 AM

That Church group, sect, or whatever it is supposedly is in most major cities, tho, I had never heard of it

Old 04-11-2013, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,697 times
Oil City OZ: I was born and raised in Oil City, but left for college in 1965, the military afterwards. I returned for a short time in the summer of 1971 after serving in Viet Nam, but only stayed for a month with my parents. I left with a friend for Pittsburgh and have been here since then. My wife and I love the "Burgh." It has all of the things and activities that we want and need. It's like a "big small town." And it is not expensive to live here-13 miles from the Point (where the Three Rivers intersect). I return occasionally to visit my uncle & brother and some high school friends. Oil City has deteriorated considerably-especially the infrastructure. I just sold my parents' house (estate)-$15,000 for a two story brick house! It needs some work and the young couple who bought it are doing a great job of remodeling & upgrading it. It's great to see a young couple with three kids living back in the "old homestead." It was a great "backwater town" to grow up in during the late 40's, 50's & 60's. But I moved on to satisfy my desires, goals, etc. Pittsburgh went through a revival after the demise of the steel industry and the loss of many related businesses, etc. From the early 70's through the mid 2000's was what it took-it's amazing! And the city grew by over 7000-young people moving into the city last year. You can only do so much with the out door/tourist industries. Oil City needs a core (or several) industry/business to revive itself. And the drug problem exists everywhere now, not only in Oil City. We are retired and enjoying it very much-just renewed our subscription to the Pittsburgh Irish Classical Theater for their six shows now through December. The restaurants, museums, sports, entertainment venues, etc. are exceptional. And it's just a relatively short drive to the great Outdoors-Penns Woods; we love Pennsylvania and global warming will have all of those "snowbirds" moving back here some day. So hold onto your real estate (Remember the real estate mantra: "Location. location, location!" Good luck O.C!

Old 04-13-2013, 11:09 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,293,333 times
Oil City was on my "around the state" bike ride last summer. Breathtaking area. The town still shows signs of former grandeur. The ride from Warren to Oil City is stupendous.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,560,117 times
Don't quote me, but at one time Warren, PA had a ton of millionaires living there. And Oil City was a very prosperous town.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 AM

392 posts, read 1,069,351 times
Oil City is pretty much between Erie and Pittsburgh on Route 8. You have to go to either one of those cities to do anything, because there is nothing in O.C.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,293,333 times
Not even oil?

Old 12-07-2016, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 817 times
My girls and I just moved to Oil City from a huge city. OC is quiet and beautiful. I love it here. I have also found jobs everywhere within the area. People are simple here. Straightforward. I have no intention of moving anywhere. This is home. I've read many statements about drugs. They're everywhere. Educate yourself. Educate your family. Be proactive. Find a solution, don't just add to the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania