Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:08 AM

8 posts, read 37,764 times

Advertisements

Congrads on the second house. Narrow dead end street, water view, can't beat it. The houses I am looking at are more $., on the South side. One is on Orange street, the other is a brick on 1st street. 69K and 79K asking prices.
I look every day to see what comes up. I can't decide if I would rather have
something on more property outside that area, or buy pick on up for 60K and
buy a piece of property to play on. I found 6 areas with a nice creek for 20K.
We will see.
You do live in Oil City? How do you like it? Otter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 PM

113 posts, read 496,316 times
Interesting. My wife and I are exploring Franklin/Oil City area for retirement. Her brother is retiring there next year and there is some other family in the Cranberry area.

We see many great deals. Would like to buy some land and build like brother-in-law is doing (has three acres on the Allegheny) but cold feet about drilling well, getting power, fuel, etc.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:37 PM

135 posts, read 387,414 times
That part of PA is a great place to live and there is more businesses coming in and looking constantly but hopefully it will happen slowly and over time, drugs rampant that is a big joke until you have some guy walk up to your car at a stop light to sell you crack in broad day light the biggest worry there is pot and underage drinking and that is just about every small town in western PA ,always has been just getting a lil tougher to do today,when I was going thru there in March taking my son to PITT in Titusville I couldn't believe the change that has happened and for the best hell that area used to be alot worse just about 10 years ago and this after the oil companies all left ,now it is getting alot cleaner and saw they had torn down a couple buildings that were blights when I was a kid and that they got a Sheetz at the old quaker state and lube station which was a shock to the system.
My uncle used to tell me that main street Oil city used to be covered with hookers all over the place on pay day when oil refineries ran .
Crime rate in that area is real low and I would feel safer living there than I ever did in Reading ,and one block down from my old apartment in Reading 3 people have been shot in the same place in the last couple of years.
If you don't believe me go to Reading to visit and see and take a nice drive along cherry street and neighboring streets after 10 to see how many drug dealers and hookers approach your car then tell me if Oil City have a crime rate.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 AM

Default Oil City Now

Hi, Happy to see replies here. :JAG - I don't blame you about being nervous
about building. I played with that idea just because you could pick your spot
and build to suit your taste, however the cost of supplies and contractors
has gone through the roof, so since I only have so much buying power, I can't go that route.
PA Native: Interesting perspective, great to hear posts from people who know the area. I can't wait to go check it out again, going in July when I take my
son to Pitt.
One thing I will want to know is the cost of the city water/sewer/trash.
The little PA town I live in just got it installed and listen to these bills:
Water-$440 a yr, trash-$240 a yr, sewer -$1200!!!a yr. All separate bills.
I heard Oil City is cheaper than that but I need to know.
On a happier note I want to check out the hiking, I imagine there are some nice
trails.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 PM

113 posts, read 496,316 times
hikingotter- I know in the Franklin area there is a rails to trails program converting old railroad track to bike/hiking paths. That means in most cases fairly flat as RR don't like grades too well. There is always Cooks Forest.

I think we have finally realized that we are unlikely to have enough equity in our CA house to both build from scratch and put away a chunk for retirement. It would be nice to build the dream house but reality says otherwise.

We MIGHT take a trip back there for First Night in Oil City. Our friend is the musical director for the event and we get to stay on his farm.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:01 AM

13 posts, read 89,350 times
Default Oil City

No, the bills are not nearly that high in Oil City - I think that the total price for all 3 is probably about $400-$800 a year depending entirely upon the water. Oil City is nice - especially in the summer when everything is green, though I can't wait to go back and visit the house in the fall. I'm back to North Dakota at the moment.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 AM

Default oil city Now

Even if it is 800 a yr for those services that's acceptable. I just got back from
oil city, spent Sat. night there. Didn't have a lot of time but eye balled a few
properties. I forgot how steep the roads are! They rival San Fransisco!
There were 2 bands in the parks playing, the nx day was a box car derby for the
kids, and then on my way out the little market in the square in Franklin.
Nice small town happenings.
I have to go out again in August so I plan to make appointments to view some
of the houses I have my eye on.
How the heck do you get to work in the winter with those steep roads? lol
Is a 4 wheel drive a must? Otter

Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,292,677 times
In the winter they are on those roads like nobodies business.They are really good at keeping them cleared.

Old 11-28-2008, 12:17 PM

6 posts, read 33,422 times
Default Free houses in Oil City

Free houses available to homeowners who want to renovate houses and live in Oil City.
I am a art district developer and have looked at the 50+ houses available, I am not sure there is demand or market of people wanting to move there, even if the homes are free.
The city (town) of 15k residents has more housing than people. It has a ton of old housing stock, no new houses no trailers, buetiful old houses that need work. And that is the catch, the houses all need work, property values are low, and property taxes are increadiably high. The area is nice, remote, low crime, safe, there are many good youtube clips of the area.
But for $10k-$40k you can have a renovated house in an art district.
I have pictures of 20 of the houses, the local bank will lend up to 100% on the renovated value of the house. Or Look on Realtor.com there are houses listed for as low as $5k.
www.Artsoilcity.com

Other cities I have spoke to also have some free houses for working artists include Covington, KY and Padducah, kY
Good luck
www.brokenforkdesign.com
If anyone is interested in the area, or in buying a free house let me know, I think we will be going up in the spring to remodal a few creative houses in the art district.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 PM

457 posts, read 1,280,544 times
I wonder about this Oil City relocation project. I am interested myself in relocating to the area. The one negative is that I have seen great areas destroyed by the influx of city people that also find the country a great place to live. The city people seem to enjoy it for a short time and then become bored and want their old big city amenities. Pretty soon the nice town is turned into just another suburban sprawl. Is Venango county doing anything to fix their zoning regulations before the growth hits or is Venango county just destined to be another big box retailer area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania