Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,170,601 times

Advertisements

my daughter is seven and we have known for quite some time she will need braces as one bottom tooth is completely behind two others and one front tooth is coming is incredibly crooked.
Of course I know we need to see a dentist but I was wondering if we could just skip the dentist visit and cost and go directly to an orthodontist. Do they pull teeth as young as 7 and put braces on that young?
Thank you for any information you may share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times
The orthodontist won't clean her teeth like they do at the dentist so no, you can't skip the dentist.

Most orthodontists will do free evaluations though. Check with your dentist to see who he recommends. They will let you know when it will be appropriate for your DD to get braces. Getting them at 7 really doesn't do much for them but if she needs a palette expander they will do that now.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
An orthodontist won't put on braces when there's a significant number of baby teeth still in the mouth.

Also, braces too early will mean a second set of braces will be needed when older because everything changes as the child grows.

But some children need to have two sets of braces if their teeth are super bad.

Your dentist will advice if your child should bee an orthodontist earlier. I'm a bit surprised you don't already have a dentist for your daughter.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:33 PM

141 posts, read 429,779 times
I am facing the same situation with my 7 yr old. Her dentist said that they have to make 'records' for her before they can send her refferal to an ortho. Once they make the permanent records they give a cleaning and mold her mouth. My daughter will be eight in Feb and her dentist has us coming in just after her B Day as her final adult tooth hasn't fully descended yet.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnincorporatedResident View Post
I am facing the same situation with my 7 yr old. Her dentist said that they have to make 'records' for her before they can send her refferal to an ortho. Once they make the permanent records they give a cleaning and mold her mouth. My daughter will be eight in Feb and her dentist has us coming in just after her B Day as her final adult tooth hasn't fully descended yet.
Wow! Her final adult tooth already? Are you sure? My son still had 13 baby teeth quite a few years after the age of 7. I remember because the orthodontist said that we had to wait a couple more years. And I wasn't taking a 7 year old to the orthodontist. I'd estimate he might have been about 10 years old at the time.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:41 PM

677 posts, read 1,540,307 times
My sons are 12 and 13 and have had braces for almost 6 months. And it was delayed due to baby teeth needing to come out.

My recommendation: Choose a dentist that does Orthodontics IN his/her office. There are some that do. I chose our dentist for this very reason.

It sounds like your daughters teeth are crowded. My 13 year old has this.
It could be necessary to reduce the number of permanent teeth to allow room.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,878,747 times
I was actually in the 3rd grade when I got braces. I had the bottom teeth first and by 5th grade the upper and bottom teeth had braces. I wore them until the beginning of 7th grade. I had two molars that needed to come in and they put spacers there and one of my upper molars were pulled.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,480,785 times
My DD is 11 and needs braces. Her orthodontist says he won't put the braces on her until all the baby teeth fall out and the adult teeth are completely in.

I would think 7 is entirely too young for braces. If your orthodontist is insisting on putting braces on a 7 year old, find out why he thinks she needs them at that age (where she probably has most of her baby teeth still) and then get a second opinion.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:46 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,287,710 times
My oldest (almost 16) has his braces (brackets)put on at 9. He had them taken off six months later. But there was more to it than just the brackets. He wore headgear every night for about four years until all of his permanent teeth were in. My middle one wore a retainer from 8 until 10 and will not need brackets. The youngest, now 9, has a quahelix in the roof of her mouth and may not need brackets either, but time will tell. Our dentist is also an orthodontist.

Not all orthos will put brackets on children until all their permanent teeth come in. I find our dentist/ortho is very knowlegeable and has had great success in the long term with her approach. Even if your ortho wants to wait for brackets, there are appliances (headgear/quahelix/retainer/etc) that can get the process started and greatly reduce the time the child has to wear brackets.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:49 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,063,993 times
Our youngest son needed braces at age 8 for his top front two teeth. His baby teeth have all been very stubborn, and because they didn't fall out when they should have the permanent teeth grew in every-which-way, causing problems. He wore braces for about a year to correct several issues that came about from his stubborn baby teeth, and the orthodontist now says he most likely will not need braces later on, unless we just simply want that "perfect" smile. The main thing that braces are meant to do - more important than vanity reasons - is to correct the bite and to ensure there is enough room between the teeth for proper care of the teeth. As the baby teeth are falling out and the permanent teeth are moving in, that's the perfect time to make sure that things are moving into the correct position as the bones in the jaw at that time are more malleable than they will be at an older age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting