Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times

Advertisements

So, what led to the demise of the way kids relate to their families? The disrespect I've seen from teens & adult kids to their parents is astounding.
The way that the teens are so self absorbed, spoiled--demanding cell phones, I pods, laptops, "Uggs" & other name brand crap, could be a part of the problem.
And if the parents think the kids will grow up & magically turn into loving, kind people-wrong
Just yesterday I overheard my neighbor yelling, swearing & screaming at his mom to move his stuff, & help him to her car. He's 36 years old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:44 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Perspective.

Julia has a great quote about how bad the youth are, from 300BC or so. Kids are kids, everyone thinks the generation that came after them are "worse".

Teenagers are selfinvolved because they are teenagers. Most of them outgrow it. As for being demanding or brand names, kids were the same way when I was a kid. Everyone in my town had to have tretorns (do they even still make them?) and guess jeans.

Really, very little has changed.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:57 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I was raised in the 50s and I have kids raised in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Even my youngest was raised before cell phones, and computers. The internet is a bad influence on children, I think.
Now, children come from two working parents, so they are not as closely supervised.
On the plus side, there are still many families with children who are carefully raised. This has always been the same...some parents are not on top of it, and some are.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I was raised in the 50s and I have kids raised in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Even my youngest was raised before cell phones, and computers. The internet is a bad influence on children, I think.
Now, children come from two working parents, so they are not as closely supervised.
On the plus side, there are still many families with children who are carefully raised. This has always been the same...some parents are not on top of it, and some are.
Excellent point- I absolutely agree that the internet has done some damage to the way kids relate. It's like they've lost some of their humanity with all this technology.....

Old 01-15-2012, 06:10 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times

Bye Bye Birdie - What's the Matter With Kids Today - YouTube

I blame M.C. Hammer.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Then you're out of touch

Old 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
I think most kids tend to be messed up these days because they are a reflection of their own environment. They lack quality time spent with their family, so they log online to find emotional and peer support. They're a technology based generation.

It's sad, because back when I was a kid, you were able to bike around the neighborhood, play with friends, be active outside. At least the social interaction was there. Now, technology combined with stressed and overworked parents seem to alienate the younger generation even more.

We're social creatures. When technology and Tv culture replaces genuine bonding through face-to-face interaction, people start to lose that human touch by depersonalizing and acting in ways that are very impersonal and on the surface.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
So, what led to the demise of the way kids relate to their families? The disrespect I've seen from teens & adult kids to their parents is astounding.
The way that the teens are so self absorbed, spoiled--demanding cell phones, I pods, laptops, "Uggs" & other name brand crap, could be a part of the problem.
And if the parents think the kids will grow up & magically turn into loving, kind people-wrong
Just yesterday I overheard my neighbor yelling, swearing & screaming at his mom to move his stuff, & help him to her car. He's 36 years old
To me the parents are the ones who say where the lines of respect will be. Many parents want to be their kids friends, others want to be like their kids. Have you seen some moms out there dressed just like their teenage daughters?
A good book I read is entitled "The Death of the Grown Up". To me it is ot the kids fault. It is mostly the parents that allow them to do those things for different reasons which I will not mention them because some will twist what I may write and take offense. Take care.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
I think most kids tend to be messed up these days because they are a reflection of their own environment. They lack quality time spent with their family, so they log online to find emotional and peer support. They're a technology based generation.

It's sad, because back when I was a kid, you were able to bike around the neighborhood, play with friends, be active outside. At least the social interaction was there. Now, technology combined with stressed and overworked parents seem to alienate the younger generation even more.

We're social creatures. When technology and Tv culture replaces genuine bonding through face-to-face interaction, people start to lose that human touch by depersonalizing and acting in ways that are very impersonal and on the surface.
They do seem alienated. And it is strange- I remember when I was little staying out every summer night, playing until I HAD to go home. These days I don't see kids clamoring to go play outside. They just wanna be on the computers.
Good connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
To me the parents are the ones who say where the lines of respect will be. Many parents want to be their kids friends, others want to be like their kids. Have you seen some moms out there dressed just like their teenage daughters?
A good book I read is entitled "The Death of the Grown Up". To me it is ot the kids fault. It is mostly the parents that allow them to do those things for different reasons which I will not mention them because some will twist what I may write and take offense. Take care.
Another issue that is real- why do these parents think they're supposed to be friends with the kids?? Makes no sense; just a fast way to lose respect.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.
Socrates
Greek philosopher in Athens (469 BC - 399 BC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting