Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2008, 12:59 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,860,757 times

Advertisements

I'm not even that old, but every time I open the newspaper there's a new case of a teenager killing another kid. I think kids are more violent, but a person on another forum said they aren't and it's just our perception and the way the news covers it. If you think they are more violent, then why? What's the answer? When we got mad at a peer, we had a school yard brawl and then were done with it. I guess bloody noses aren't good enough anymore. I worry for our youth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
dont have to think it--- just have to avoid it.
important note, time out does not work more violent more unruly than 30 years ago.
spock lied.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:30 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,265,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I'm not even that old, but every time I open the newspaper there's a new case of a teenager killing another kid. I think kids are more violent, but a person on another forum said they aren't and it's just our perception and the way the news covers it. If you think they are more violent, then why? What's the answer? When we got mad at a peer, we had a school yard brawl and then were done with it. I guess bloody noses aren't good enough anymore. I worry for our youth.
I think in a lot of cases kids are less violent. Sure you see school shootings on the news every once in a while but it's not like something like Columbine, Paducah or Jonesboro happens every day and when a shooting does happen it's sensationalized to the max. The media seems to love to latch onto these stories and run with them as far as their advertising dollars will take it. And with the growth of internet as a news medium we can get the information faster than ever before. And one seems to spawn another. It's a great way for disgruntled kids to get ideas by watching and reading about Columbine and other school shootings.

As far as fighting goes when I was growing up it was a very common occurance to solve your differences by duking it out. And in h.s. we used to go down the road to the Cotton Gin to duke it out to avoid being suspended for fighting on school property. Today we as parents just don't tolerate our kids getting rough with each other. We don't tolerate anything as benign as shoving (that's a time out offense LOL) We don't even tolerate threats of violence. Just this past weekend one of the neighbor girls threatened to beat up one of the other ones and we all just about came unglued.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM

134 posts, read 590,397 times
well 18 or 19 years ago there was school shooting over at my high school a teenage boy killed this teenage girl and then killed himself . it wasnt on the news world wide and it was only on the local news so i can say i think in this day the media reports more about what gose on more.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
No, just reported more in the media with more access to the information.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,498,737 times
As of 2007 from NPR:

"Teens are committing half as many violent crimes as they were a decade ago, according to the Justice Department. Experts cite a variety of reasons for the drop, including demographics, the changing economy and new approaches by police."

Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,023,558 times
I think they are more violent than years past because they are exposed to it much more. I find very few things make a teenager flinch now days.

Reggie

Old 12-08-2008, 03:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Are they more violent, or is it jsut reported more?

When I was a kid, I was stabbed by a kid who did nto like me. I was hit on the head with a rock on the playground and needed ten stitches. I chased my brother with a kitchen knife and cut his hand when he tried to take it from me. We beat each other bloody with some regularity. Some other kids shot at me while I was mowing the lawn. People threatenend me with chains. We played with toy machine guns hunting and shooting each other all day long in the woods. My sister put me in the hospital several times, tried to run me over with her car, broke my brother's arm.

No one ever thought that we needed counseling or that we were about to kill off our whole school. They just said that we were rambunctious boys (and girl). Now we are all very close. We are more or less mentally balanced (most of us) and not one of us is violent (unless some guy want to date one of my daughters).

Our boys play violent games - air soft, laser tag, or nerf gun fights and all that. Some of the video games are terribly violent. (Some so much so that we destroy them). However they have not sent each other to the hospital. They fight, but not as violently as we did. Our older son actually has a healthy respect for guns. He shoots at a range with my older brother (a former MP). He would not think of touching a gun outside of my brother's presence (in part because if he did, the rifle range days would be all over). All in all, I think that our children are far less violent than we were.

IN general that seems to be the case accross the board. Bullying, once a middle school staple, is now subject to zero tolerance. Our sons' friends are not as violence oriented as my siblings or our friends were. Part of that may be becuase they were not raised being told that everyone was going to die in a nuclear holocost at any minute.

Yes we hear a lot more about violence, but that may be in part becuase it is reported more. It may also be related to crowding. In psychology we learned about a test where they put four rats in a certain size cage and they got along fine. However whne they put ten rats in the same sized cage, they killed each other. Several tests produced the same results. The theory was that overcrowding begets violence. Are humans that different from rats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting