Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:50 PM

113 posts, read 263,527 times

Advertisements

I run a horse barn and have a kid who is now 14 years but was 12 when he first came here who boards his horse here. This child is very unpleasant to his horse and can be down right rude to other members. When I have approached Mom about complaints and behaviour, she basically calls everyone else a liar and refuses to believe her son could possibly be wrong. How do you deal with people like this ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 08:55 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,746,068 times
Can you refuse to board the horse based on mistreatment?

Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,234,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
I run a horse barn and have a kid who is now 14 years but was 12 when he first came here who boards his horse here. This child is very unpleasant to his horse and can be down right rude to other members. When I have approached Mom about complaints and behaviour, she basically calls everyone else a liar and refuses to believe her son could possibly be wrong. How do you deal with people like this ??

I bang my head against the wall. I find it is a much easier. Is it possible to get rid of them? I am not in a position to get rid of mine and it isn't all only child situations. So, I put on my robot face and kill my soul a little to get in and out of the situation. I keep a vision of razorblades in the bathroom until its over.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Can you refuse to board the horse based on mistreatment?
Yes, I have given this family 1 months notice to leave. Because my barn is a Community barn and threfore I have an obligation to offer board to residence, of which they are, it has been a difficult process, I had to answer to the HOA ect, they upheld my decision.

This child is an excellent rider and I truly believe that with the right guidence he could be a good and responsible owner. However, it breaks my heart to see a Mom being a childs worse enemy...

Old 09-25-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I bang my head against the wall. I find it is a much easier. Is it possible to get rid of them? I am not in a position to get rid of mine and it isn't all only child situations. So, I put on my robot face and kill my soul a little to get in and out of the situation. I keep a vision of razorblades in the bathroom until its over.

I'll keep in mind the razorblade theory....It may just work lol

Old 09-26-2009, 04:37 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,480,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsky View Post
When I have approached Mom about complaints and behaviour, she basically calls everyone else a liar and refuses to believe her son could possibly be wrong. How do you deal with people like this ??

You should videotape this miserable kid. If he is truly maltreating the horse, you can turn the tape over to the ASPCA or your local animal police. You can also show his mother what a rude, rotten, belligerent thing she raised.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:43 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,818,781 times
We used to get kids like this in therapy all the time. Usually it was after they either hurt someone or they broke the law. Mommy and Daddy expected us therapists to fix the mess they made when they raised the little one to believe he or she could do nothing wrong.

You are doing the right thing making sure this kid and his mother are not allowed near your horses. I hope the mother is aware of why you are doing this. She needs to know, as does the kid. There needs to be consquences somewhere for this kid since Mom isn't up to the job of teaching him.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
You should videotape this miserable kid. If he is truly maltreating the horse, you can turn the tape over to the ASPCA or your local animal police. You can also show his mother what a rude, rotten, belligerent thing she raised.
Except if the mom allows this behavior to happen she won't see anything wrong on the video.

OP, I think you need to lay down the law with the kid. Be very specific about what is expected and get on the kid EVERY time he does anything wrong. It will take a while but eventually he will either get it or get sick of trying and leave.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,088,901 times
You should tell him that cruelty to the animals is not tolerated. If the mother is not happy, tell her to find another riding school.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:17 AM

691 posts, read 2,330,779 times
1. This thread really should be named "brat abuses horse", because only children are not spoiled. That this particular child is an only child is information, but not the issue.
2. Do you want this person's business? If you push the point, you may lose their business.
3. Have a business meeting, with a few other boarders there, with parents/children. Go over the rules of horse care, standards of care, basic things...post the rules in a prominent place, by the problem makers stall.
4. Request that the parent stays with child if he continues to break the rules posted, you could even just post rules of behavior, without the meeting, and the consequences of breaking the rules, like if riders unders under the age of 18 break the rules then they will need parental supervison at all times at the stable area.
Create the rules that are pretty specfic to the behavior of this kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting