Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 07:09 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know that all kids are a little self-centered. Just wondering if this is something that is becoming a bigger problem...

My daughter is four years old. She is an only child, but not overindulged by any means. But she seems to have developed this gimme gimme gimme attitude. She approaches people like they are supposed to shower her with treats and compliments, like they owe it to her.

She is a beautiful child, very smart, and very outgoing. People tend to praise her and tell her how pretty and smart she is, even strangers. I never minded this. I want her to be confident, but I don't want her to be a snob. She now feels like, since she's "so smart," that she already knows whatever it is anybody is trying to tell her. The receptionist at her daycare gave her special treats every day, that she was not giving other children. My daughter would just march into the office like she worked there and ask for a treat, until I told the receptionist to stop. When she sees certain family members, her attitude is like "what do you have for me?" She is generally polite, but she can get dramatic when she doesn't get her way.

I've told people not to single her out for special treats and not to shower her with compliments all the time. I've tried to tell her that she should be thankful for the things she already has, and not expect people to always give her things. Is there something I'm not doing or teaching, or is this something she will grow out of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 07:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Is there something I'm not doing or teaching, or is this something she will grow out of?
I recommend medication. For you: 800mg of pfukitol, twice daily.

Sounds like you are doing everything right. Keep explaining to her that the world doesn't revolve around her. Explain this from different angles, different scenarios and in different contexts.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Okay, I know that all kids are a little self-centered. Just wondering if this is something that is becoming a bigger problem...

My daughter is four years old. She is an only child, but not overindulged by any means. But she seems to have developed this gimme gimme gimme attitude. She approaches people like they are supposed to shower her with treats and compliments, like they owe it to her.

She is a beautiful child, very smart, and very outgoing. People tend to praise her and tell her how pretty and smart she is, even strangers. I never minded this. I want her to be confident, but I don't want her to be a snob. She now feels like, since she's "so smart," that she already knows whatever it is anybody is trying to tell her. The receptionist at her daycare gave her special treats every day, that she was not giving other children. My daughter would just march into the office like she worked there and ask for a treat, until I told the receptionist to stop. When she sees certain family members, her attitude is like "what do you have for me?" She is generally polite, but she can get dramatic when she doesn't get her way.

I've told people not to single her out for special treats and not to shower her with compliments all the time. I've tried to tell her that she should be thankful for the things she already has, and not expect people to always give her things. Is there something I'm not doing or teaching, or is this something she will grow out of?
She's probably a cute kid and gets a little extra attention for it - you're probably handling it right. I think it goes with the age, the fact that she gets noticed and she'll grow out of it.

But to protect her from getting hurt when she's older, because at some point if she's too cocky, other kids will want to knock her down to size, so it's better not to let it go too far.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
Most of it is the age. To help her learn she isn't guaranteed everything, teach her about others who do not have as much as she. Teach emathy by donating to less fortunate. As for the 'gimmies', make her return the prize if she doesn't properly thank the giver. Teach her to return a compliment with a compliment.

Sounds like she is a darling girl who adults enjoy being around. This is a good thing and you regognizing that she can develop an entitled attitude is a huge step in prevening that behavior.

When she demands gifts from family members, do not allow her to recieve the gift unless she can behave like a lady.

A few little teaching moments now and you can prevent much drama later.

You're doing a good job momma

Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
Describing your daughter so reminds me of my niece at that age. She too was adorable and people made a fuss about her everywhere she went. I started to notice how she'd ask what I got for her on her visits and realized that I was adding to her expecting something by having a special little gift for her. On one visit when she asked what I had for her, I surprised her by saying I had a great big hug for her. I hugged and tickled her, and she totally forgot about asking again for a gift.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
Most of it is the age. To help her learn she isn't guaranteed everything, teach her about others who do not have as much as she. Teach emathy by donating to less fortunate. As for the 'gimmies', make her return the prize if she doesn't properly thank the giver. Teach her to return a compliment with a compliment.

Sounds like she is a darling girl who adults enjoy being around. This is a good thing and you regognizing that she can develop an entitled attitude is a huge step in prevening that behavior.

When she demands gifts from family members, do not allow her to recieve the gift unless she can behave like a lady.

A few little teaching moments now and you can prevent much drama later.

You're doing a good job momma

I remember thinking this about my own kids. now that you mention it, they seem to have outgrown it.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:10 PM

3,954 posts, read 2,572,591 times
Quote:

Keep doing what you're doing, i.e. explaining what is expected of her. These times are teachable moments. When she reacts like you would prefer her not, share with her your thoughts on her actions as well as the natural consequences.

Also, set the example you want her to follow (You most likely do this, sorry, I am just talking in general terms). The more you thank her, say please to her and others, be thankful for what comes your way, the more she will pick up on it.

You're on track IMHO, thinking of how you want to communicate to her and teach her.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
Have another baby and she will get a reality check when everybody starts going on and on about the cute little baby. I remember my son getting so sick of all the attention to his new sister that he actually pulled on a lady's skirt and said "Hey, I'm still cute too." Cracked us all up.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,044 times
Quote:

You are doing well! You are using this as a teaching experience so do not fret to much! I gave you a rep point cause I love your name. AnnaNomus! Original!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:33 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Thanks for the input! She is likely going to be an only child forever, since more kids are not in the plans for me now, and a lot of this "only child syndrome" stuff is new to me. I hope she does grow out of it, and that I can redirect her when she acts like the little princess of the world. I'm seeing more and more that four is a very trying age. So much drama about EVERYTHING. Everybody warns you about the twos and threes, but not fours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting