Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,795,830 times

Advertisements

Short and sweet... I have witness children with behavior, materials,and habits suggesting they could be spoiled! Comparing my childhood to the moderen childhood (the worlds are so far apart) WOW how we tolerate much from our offspring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 11:36 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,138,254 times
I doubt the poor children in some parts of West Africa are really feeling "spoiled."

If you are talking about AMERICAN children, as a whole, I do think that we are more privileged than others and many of us do not appreciate all that we have been given and blessed with.

I also think it is relevant that times are changing. People have fewer kids, and I have noticed that only children typically act / are more spoiled than children of families with three or more children.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:22 AM

13,496 posts, read 10,001,252 times
No.

(Julia, time to pull out that quote that is totally apropos - you know the one.)

Old 11-12-2011, 06:52 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,795,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
I doubt the poor children in some parts of West Africa are really feeling "spoiled."

If you are talking about AMERICAN children, as a whole, I do think that we are more privileged than others and many of us do not appreciate all that we have been given and blessed with.

I also think it is relevant that times are changing. People have fewer kids, and I have noticed that only children typically act / are more spoiled than children of families with three or more children.
I have a feeling poor children in general "may" not feel spoiled(Worldwide). Many children whom are spoiled do not believe they're Spoiled! I'm willing to bet you have never been to Africa, Therefore we will keep the generalization to your area\region. Although I appreciate your input.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,408,039 times
I'm sure every past generation feels the children of newer generations are "spoiled."

Old 11-12-2011, 07:19 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,130,897 times
I do agree that every past generation feels that newer generations kid are spoiled.

I just think there may be some semblance of truth in this generation----kids are loaded with gadgets gleefully provided to them by their parents------cell phones, i pads, tons of video games, ect....

Im glad parents are responsive to their kids-----yet I shudder to think what my fathers reaction would have been if I requested all of these gadgets if they were available back then. His reaction would have so when are you starting your job to pay for these things.

I honestly think there is a bit of a disconnect between some parents and their kids today, as it easier just to let them have what they want instead of setting rules and regulations. I think for the most part, the majority of parents do a solid job with their kids------just that a growing minority now finds it easier to gorge the kids with modern toys so they stay out of their hair.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:34 AM

26,791 posts, read 26,914,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
----kids are loaded with gadgets gleefully provided to them by their parents---cell phones, i pads, tons of video games, ect...
Agreed, and it's hard to figure out why. It seems that today, more parents want their kids to "like" them, as in be friends with them, approve of them, etc. Our parents knew that their job was to parent and that being buddies was not part of the plan until the children were adults themselves. I don't understand how this happened and why parents are so afraid of standing their ground, setting rules, and disciplining.

Old 11-12-2011, 07:47 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,751,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No.

(Julia, time to pull out that quote that is totally apropos - you know the one.)
This one?

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants before their teachers." - Socrates

Some digging around indicates that Socrates probably did not say that. It was attributed to him and may have been the paraphrase of a play, but still, the sentiment about "those darn kids today" is as old as the hills.

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behavior and dress." - Aristotle

Several other choice quotes can be found here (sourced):

Google Answers: "The trouble with youngsters today..."

Old 11-12-2011, 08:00 AM

22,638 posts, read 47,790,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This one?

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and are tyrants before their teachers." - Socrates
There you go!

Old 11-12-2011, 08:52 AM

89 posts, read 133,714 times
Totally! I think one of the reasons is because parents these days are fearful of spanking their kids. Some countries have even outlawed corporal punishment. I believe in the adage "Spare the rod and spoil the child". Of course, the punishment shouldn't be administered in a way that's abusive or causes harm to the child.

There seems to be no boundaries for kids these days. They are demanding,disrespectful and foul-mouthed. In our days, talking back to our parents meant a slap on the face.

Maybe it isn't their fault. Perhaps it's just peer pressure. Every kid around them has either an iphone, an ipad, a laptop or some sophisticated gadget that our kids are pressured to own.

Or maybe they're just smarter than we were. They don't buy the things we tell them. They google the facts.

Here's something I recall.
Uttering foul words in those days would land us in serious trouble. My mom would drip candle wax on our cheeks whenever we cursed or used expletives and we just stood still, sobbing while she administered the punishment. It didn't hurt but we cried because we were petrified.

I tried the same trick on my sons and they blew the candle out! Now why didn't I think of that?

Last edited by 4rummer; 11-12-2011 at 10:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting