Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 07:48 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Please feel free to refer to yourself as a breeder. I prefer to be called a non-pejorative term like say.... parent. Just as the childfree take exception to being called childless (as in less than) most of us parents find the term breeder offensive. Take a look at the definition from the Urban Dictionary below if you aren't clear on what people mean when they call someone a "breeder".

And perhaps your circle of childfree friends are the most altruistic people on the planet. Or perhaps some are just saying what they perceive to be the least selfish reason not to have kids. "I'm saving the planet" plays a whole lot better than "I'm too selfish to put anyone's needs ahead of my own" or "I just don't like kids".

Breeder
1: slang term used by some childfree people for one who has a child and/or has many after that, refuses to discipline the child/ren, thinks the sun rises and sets for their child/ren, look down upon people who do not have children, and are in general very selfish and greedy when it comes to their whims and those of their child/ren, especially if they can use their parenthood status or their children as an excuse to get their way. A female breeder is commonly called a moo, and a male breeder a duh.
2: slang term used by people of homosexual persuasion to refer to heterosexual couples, who have a significantly higher risk of contributing to the population increase than the homosexuals do.
LOL, it is what it is. Look up breeding in a biology book... It's kind of what we do to have kids...not all parents are breeders though. Some adopted kids. I'm not sure why you feel the need to put a positive spin on breeding. I do see why those who don't want kids would feel offended at being called child less as the term implies they are less. Calling myself a breeder doesn't make me less or more. It just means I had kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Breeding. Really? Creating a living, breathing, soul-filled human life is breeding?

I'll pass on using that term.
Yes, that's the biological term for passing on ones genes. It's called breeding. I'm not sure why anyone is taking offense to the term. Seriously, it's what we did to have kids.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes, that's the biological term for passing on ones genes.
And you may continue to use it. I choose not to.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
And you may continue to use it. I choose not to.
I'm at a loss for what that accomplishes but have it your way. Are there other biological terms you find offensive?

I tend to call things what they are. Being offended by the biolgical term for procreation is a new one but have it your way. You're not required to use any word in the dictionary you don't like.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Quote:
Are there other biological terms you find offensive?
As a matter of fact, yes, there are.

But this thread isn't about linguistics. Unfortunately.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,267 times
Quote:
Yes, that's the biological term for passing on ones genes. It's called breeding. I'm not sure why anyone is taking offense to the term. Seriously, it's what we did to have kids.
In the biological sense you are right. The term "breeder" has come to have different (negative) connotations in pop culture. If someone calls you "a breeder" they probably aren't just using a synonym for you being a parent. Maybe you weren't aware of that.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
In the biological sense you are right. The term "breeder" has come to have different (negative) connotations in pop culture. If someone calls you "a breeder" they probably aren't just using a synonym for you being a parent. Maybe you weren't aware of that.
I'm using the term in the biological sense. I can see how someone who has chosen not to have kids because the world is over populated could see it as a negative but the meaning of the word doesn't change here. We are what we are.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,908,267 times
Quote:
I'm using the term in the biological sense. I can see how someone who has chosen not to have kids because the world is over populated could see it as a negative but the meaning of the word doesn't change here. We are what we are.
That's fine - just thought I'd explain that it also has secondary meanings as a term now, so it shouldn't be surprising if someone responds to the connotation rather than the biological definition. Trying to helpful, that's all.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:43 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,826,742 times
Quote:
LOL, it is what it is. Look up breeding in a biology book... It's kind of what we do to have kids...not all parents are breeders though. Some adopted kids. I'm not sure why you feel the need to put a positive spin on breeding. I do see why those who don't want kids would feel offended at being called child less as the term implies they are less. Calling myself a breeder doesn't make me less or more. It just means I had kids.
Hey, I say to each their own. Next time someone asks you if you're a parent be sure to correct them by saying "No, I'm a breeder who selfishly brought kids into the world because I didn't have the altruism to be childfree".

I'm SURE you already do this every time someone calls you a parent since you much prefer the term breeder.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:31 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,765,736 times
I had kids because I was bored and it looked like fun. And it is fun, most of the time.

I am a selfish monster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting