Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 AM

3,764 posts, read 12,475,678 times

Advertisements

I think the behavior may have a lot to do with the dynamic between Mom & Dad. If Dad is denying the behaviour it could also be that he is putting down the OP to the boy. He could be acting out the way he feels his father wants him too. I agree that he need to be assessed by more than a behaviorist. Dad needs to either get on board to get his son straightened out or personally, I'd look to get the courts involved. Nothing like a nice court order to adjust an attitude in an ex-spouse!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 AM

467 posts, read 989,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I think the behavior may have a lot to do with the dynamic between Mom & Dad. If Dad is denying the behaviour it could also be that he is putting down the OP to the boy. He could be acting out the way he feels his father wants him too. I agree that he need to be assessed by more than a behaviorist. Dad needs to either get on board to get his son straightened out or personally, I'd look to get the courts involved. Nothing like a nice court order to adjust an attitude in an ex-spouse!
maybe. Why would the Court take the Mom's side though? Is there an illegal act the Father is doing? Not trying to argue, I just don't see how the Law plays a role in this. So Dad lets them watch Disney and act crazy when at his house. That's Dad's choice when its his turn to have the kids. Just because the Ex-wife doesn't like it, doesn't make him wrong. What's next not letting Dad buy them a Happy Meal? cmon

BUT lets say the Court did do that, I find it more likely the Dad would just be more descreet and find a way to compromise rather than totally give in. Letting his kids watch Disney but asking them to not go crazy around Mom or something like that.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:03 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,634,039 times
2 words ...taser gun!

Thanks I'll be here all week.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 24,046,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskalive View Post
PS,
My kids will Never, Never have cell phones. When they get on their own, yes, but as long as I am raising them, I will oversee all that goes on.
Cell phone. No Way. Nada.
Really? I find it difficult to believe that you will oversee every conversation your child ever has until he (she?) is 18. It is healthy for older children to have a little bit of autonomy from their parents. How else will they learn to develop their own relationships with people?

I don't think cell phones themselves are inherently evil. Right now I have one child (13) at band camp, one child (10) at wrestling camp, and one child (15) at football camp. The older 2 have phones. They use them to keep in contact with me. With older kids lots of times their schedules are fluid and it really helps to know where they are, what is going on.

For instance, they played a football game in Key West last year. It is a 4 hour trip down, they got there early to warm up before the game, they played the game, they stopped for food on the way back. I had no way of knowing exactly what time they would be back. Having a phone allowed us to keep up with our son, where he was, when we had to get him.....

Parents can do what they think it right, but a reaction like yours to a cell phone is an over reaction. Yes there are kids that do stupid things with cell phones, but most use them to talk and text harmless teen stuff.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 AM

467 posts, read 989,692 times
Default Loosen up

Maybe she doesn't like them because there's no biblical reference to cell phones to help guide (or make) her decision regarding them for her. I mean Jesus didn't have a cell phone, as such they must be bad things. Phones themselves have been around a 100 years, are they evil or just the cell versions? What about portable phones that you can carry around the house? Why so specific on cells.

Alaska: If your kids go to public school, they have access to all this stuff. They don't need to own one to use one of their friend's "Forbidden Items". The more you try to control, the more they will pull away to see what it is they are missing. If they want to make a call without your montoiring them, they can find a way to do that. Wait till you leave, or go to friend's, use a pay phone, there's lots of ways to make phone calls without your knowledge.

The only sure control you have is when they are physically with you, otherwise they can and will cut loose without your leash to hold them down. No offense, just being realistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Really? I find it difficult to believe that you will oversee every conversation your child ever has until he (she?) is 18. It is healthy for older children to have a little bit of autonomy from their parents. How else will they learn to develop their own relationships with people?

I don't think cell phones themselves are inherently evil. Right now I have one child (13) at band camp, one child (10) at wrestling camp, and one child (15) at football camp. The older 2 have phones. They use them to keep in contact with me. With older kids lots of times their schedules are fluid and it really helps to know where they are, what is going on.

For instance, they played a football game in Key West last year. It is a 4 hour trip down, they got there early to warm up before the game, they played the game, they stopped for food on the way back. I had no way of knowing exactly what time they would be back. Having a phone allowed us to keep up with our son, where he was, when we had to get him.....

Parents can do what they think it right, but a reaction like yours to a cell phone is an over reaction. Yes there are kids that do stupid things with cell phones, but most use them to talk and text harmless teen stuff.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,733,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
and,why does a 9 year old NEED a cell phone?
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think the OP should start with taking that and work from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting