Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,629,388 times

Advertisements

This mother is accused of sexualizing her child, do you think she should lose custody of this child. Thank you for your opinions.

Custody at Risk After 'Toddlers & Tiaras' Star Wears Controversial Outfit | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 11:02 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,371,247 times
I think what the woman did was distasteful, but then I also think all the other little made up dolls with their phony hair, nails, teeth, and clothes like the gal wears down on the corner, are no different.....unless all the others stand to lose their kids as well, I don't think this woman should be singled out.....by the way, I'm totally against this kind of pagentry, and view it as exploiting and degrading to a beautiful little innocent.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,405,927 times
I doubt anybody could lose custody of a child SOLELY for participating in pageants or even for this gross sexualized costume. However this in conjunction with other poor choices and showing lack of responsibility could certainly tilt the judge's opinion to give the child to her father.

I personally think the whole genre is sick and abusive, especially the Glitz part. Now walking across a stage in a pretty dress or singing a song or dancing is not so terrible but dressing them up like street walkers is shameful. Why would any mother in a precarious situation with an ex even take a chance like this?

Old 08-20-2012, 12:20 PM

13,716 posts, read 10,087,145 times
No.

I don't think parents should lose custody over dubious parenting decisions. Abuse, yes. Neglect, yes. Doing something we don't agree with? No.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:21 PM

436 posts, read 1,528,274 times
I don't agree with the whole glitz pagents at all, but I don't think this costume is any worse than the others. She was dressing up in a Dolly Parton costume. If I were to dress up as DP I would probably don some fake boobs and bum in order to play the part too. If the mom wanted the girl to wear these things on a regular basis or with other costumes irrelevent to the part, then I would be concerned. IMO it's no different than if the girl wer to dress up as her for Halloween.

There must be other things going on that we havent' heard about.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,355,424 times
Not enough information to make a decision on who should get custody.

Dad could be whack-job with his own issues.

Old 08-20-2012, 12:33 PM

731 posts, read 1,586,063 times
I don't think the mom should lose custody. What I do think is that Toddler's and Tiaras should have some decent policies about what those children wear. I can't believe they don't have policies in place to forbid fake breasts, buttocks, naked, no wigs or whatever they need to do. The show was kinda cute at first, but it was pretty evident the parents were way too involved to a point of seemingly obsession. The parent always says the child loves to do this and is excited every time they get to compete. That would be hard to believe in a child that age. Children get tired of things easily and I think they are pushed a lot. Why can't it be pretty little girls with a minimum of fakery having fun and not so much pressure on everyone involved?

Old 08-20-2012, 01:03 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,080,013 times
I hate the culture of pageants for children, period. I also think that any activity outside of school should be agreed upon by both parents, married or divorced, if they have shared custody.

I wonder if the father in this case was onboard with the pageant scene prior to the divorce.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,684,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
No.

I don't think parents should lose custody over dubious parenting decisions. Abuse, yes. Neglect, yes. Doing something we don't agree with? No.
Normally, I'd agree with you IF it were some outsider trying to force their opinion but, in this case, it's the dad. The other parent...who has just as much right to say how this child is raised. This isn't a decision as to whether mom's parenting decisions are bad but are dad's better. The question is which of them is the better choice to have custody of the child. That being the case, I'm going to say the little girl should go to dad.

When dh and I were separated, my lawyer was adamant that I do NOTHING that could be taken the wrong way because it could be used against me. This mom doesn't seem smart enough to know that her choices can be used against her. She's not the only parent here. If dad thinks this is going too far, he gets to say so.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,891,822 times
Depends,if your forcing your child to participate in the nonsense of pageants, yes. Children don't have these type of interest in participating in stuff like that until their preteen/teenage years.
If the child has agreed to it, then no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting