Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Let's see. Do the words, "Over my dead body" have any meaning?

As I tell my children, when she is clutching a college degree and is earning her own living, she can do anything she wants to with her body. But, until then, it's my duty to prevent her from doing stupid things, including getting a tattoo.

And, as a parent, I would want to know if my daughter had done this, just the same as if my daughter was out drinking. Being a parent is hard enough. We all have to stick together.
LOL!!!!

A few years ago I was out at one of the party supply stores and on the counter they had those hoop spring ear rings. I bought one and when I picked up my daughter from school I had it on my nose. It really does look like your nose is pierced. She looked at me and about DIED!!! I asked her what was wrong and she said, "maybe if you were a teenager". I responded, "but teenagers will be my age someday. So what's the big deal?". She thought for a second and then said, "piercing your nose is NOT a good thing no matter how old you are". GOOD GIRL!!! Remember that.

I agree with you there. If it WERE my daughter I would want to know. Even if she had NOT done it but she was going around telling people she had. That still is not good. It is a sign that there IS something wrong and she is trying to get attention ANYWAY she can. If it is not stopped before it is too late a "fake" piercing or even if she really did do it then it will be too late at some point. I would NOT want to have something REALLY bad happen to my daughter and then parents are saying, "well we knew...... back......". I'd be thinking, "WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME!!! I COULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING BEFORE IT WAS TOO LATE!". Yes, it DOES take all of us doing our job and not just with our own kids but those we are in contact with. You never know what is going on at home w/ them and their parents and if they feel comfortable with you at least they would have an adult to turn to instead of a friend that was just as lost as they are/were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:36 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
send an anonymous message that says "Hey, you might want to check out your kids bellybutton"

Id really hesitate on getting involved, but my fear would be infection. You know how kids can be, and especially if they did it themselves, and thats an even bigger risk of infection....and if shes hiding it from mom as is, and it gets infected, what if she tries to heal it herself? ugh...could get bad.
its a hard call, as a mom, id want to know (but like you, my daughter and i are verrrry close and she tells me pretty much everything) but you dont want your girl to be the one others avoid and harrass for having the "nosy mom"
henceforth, the cowardly, but still letting the mom know, anonymous message.....
just a thought...

Old 10-17-2008, 11:48 AM

199 posts, read 712,526 times
Please tell the mom. A friend of my daughter's pierced her bellybutton and developed cellulitis (sp) and it was so bad that she spent three days in the hospital. Apparently, it is a blood infection and if left untreated can actually kill you. I told my daughters (and I have three) that their bodies belonged to me until they turned 18 and there would be no piercings, tatoos, etc. without my permission. Two of my daughters (now in their twenties) have thanked me for it, and my eldest (at 36) went and got a tatoo and now hates it (she is 43). Tell the mom.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:24 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
I thought that minors...under 18...had to have parental consent to have something pierced or tatooed. Has that changed???

Old 10-17-2008, 12:30 PM

48,131 posts, read 22,004,457 times
I think tht it is not your business. If the other girls mother were a close friend of yours....that would make things different....but the way you present the story....I recommend that you keep out....your really dont know anything anyway. I thnk its always best to stay out of situations when your only source is gossip and you dont know any facts, and you dont know the prinicple characters. If you were to do anything....perhaps the school nurse would be the one to involve.

Last edited by elston; 10-17-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
I thought that minors...under 18...had to have parental consent to have something pierced or tatooed. Has that changed???
They did it THEMSELVES! Which DOES make the risk of infections that much more dangerous.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I think tht it is not your business. If the other girls mother were a close friend of yours....that would make things different....but the way you present the story....I recommend that you keep out....your really dont know anything anyway. I thnk its always best to stay out of situations when your only source is gossip and you dont know any facts, and you dont know the prinicple characters.
The 2nd girl that has done it supposedly her mother is a friend. Not SUPER CLOSE but still a friend. As for the girls that have done this I do know them. Known them since kindergarten/1st grade. Knew their parents as well (minus 1 of them that is a REAL PROBLEM but that is a whole nother story). The "principal characters" have spent many a night at my home, taken them to sporting events, dinner, etc. They changed last year when this new girl showed up that has caused a LOT of the problems.

I'm still torn. I'd want to know if my daughter did it and like I said often it is too late by the time someone DOES say something to the unknowing parent. I'd HATE to hear about something my child did that was not in her best interest that COULD harm her (getting an infection by a self piercing is harmful) and others knew but did not tell me. I thought of the anonymous message. That MIGHT be the best approach.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,928,196 times
Well, if she's a friend, maybe the next time you see her you can gear the conversation toward, "Hey, I was talking with some of my friends about something. Would you want somebody to tell you if your kid pierced her bellybutton?" If she says yes, then spill.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
they did it THEMSELVES???? OUCH and yuck...what if it gets infected?! And the moms don't see it?? With all those ridiculous low slung pants...
IMO print out a note and drop it in the mail...like the other poster said...'see your daughters belly button'....
Mom can at least check for infection, even if all h377 breaks loose
I'D want to KNOW

Old 10-17-2008, 12:54 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I would butt out as far as the other girls are concerned, but use it as a teachable moment for my daughter.
I would tell her that our family doesn't approve of defacing one's body this way and that we would be extremely disappointed in her if she did this. Also, that the girls had to have lied if they got it done at a reputable place. If they didn't get it done at a reputable place they could be subject to some life altering diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting