Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM

337 posts, read 1,431,511 times

Advertisements

My 22 yr. old son is employed full time. Not great pay. He lives in another state. He is not the most level headed when it comes to $$. He leased a modest apt. with a roomate, but of course, now, the roomate has moved out and left him with the total $$ responsibility. He is now asking for my help ($$). I have gladly helped him out in the past, however I am getting concerned. He has once again asked for my help, however in the same note, tells me that his "manager just gave him a kitten for FREE" (not neutered either, by the way) Yes, my son IS this naive...he has always cared too much about his friends and others over watching out for himself. I think he is letting another friend stay in the apt. with him. This friend is not employed nor contributing so in my opinion is just a leech. My son is the type that would rather sacrifice to keep his friends around, rather than do what is the responsible thing. (Which would be trying to find an EMPLOYED roomate to help with $$)

I feel like I am in a catch-22 here. If I want to help my son by sending $$, then I am also helping him support a non-paying friend? What would you guys suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,999 times
Sometimes you just have to say no. It's hard and it's painful, but for his own good and yours, he has to learn how to budget.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:37 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
I have to agree, I'd just say no, but it'll be hard. He has to learn now or you'll be bailing him out forever - BTW, my neighbors' daughter is 51 years old and they're still bailing her out. Best wishes!

Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 PM

134 posts, read 590,397 times
if you dont start saying no to helping your son are going to regret it . my mother and father inlaw counted on her mom money just to get by in tell her mom past away by the way my mother inlaw took advantage over her mom she was blamed by her siblings for her mom go on bankruptcy my mother inlaw was in her 40s when her mom past away .its very hard not to help your son but you need to do it to teach him respondabilty . i hope wont i dont defend you

Old 09-24-2008, 08:52 PM

134 posts, read 590,397 times
im sorry iment offend you

Old 09-24-2008, 09:05 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,181,791 times
Hard as it will be to do, you might need to see if he can sink or swim on this on.........
if it was health issue/dr.bill, that I would help on.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,614 times
Another vote on saying "no."
Trust me I have a 32 year old step daughter that is still mooching. She chooses to have children she can't afford, not to work and then hit the grandparents up for help for the "kids" sake. Stop the cycle now. He will never learn to resolve his financial issues if you don't make him stand on his own.
Now, can someone help me teach my husband this lesson??

Old 09-25-2008, 06:12 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
As a daughter whose parents have bailed her out more times than she can count, I say no. I know if anything happens, my parents will be there to help. I was reckless with money, and it took me a long time to learn to be dependent on myself.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:22 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,250 times
Another vote for no.

If you keep helping out financially, you're just enabling your son's poor money skills and lack of budgeting. Save for true emergencies (e.g. medical, etc), you're better off letting your son sink or swim. Sounds like your son also needs to learn to distinguish between being caring & sympathetic and being a pushover & a doormat. He might just learn who his true friends are.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:54 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
The hardest thing I ever had to do was let my son crash and burn.
He learned the hard way the difference between "want" and "need".

We had a few missed holidays and one repossessed car but he learned, and is now doing quite well at 25yrs old.

We feel for you, but stick to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting