Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:27 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,037,563 times

Advertisements

In all honesty, Ive looked at raising a kid like this. Its a job. Its a job you'll have for 18+ years, and you can't walk out and quit. You have to put up with the "customer" antics (aka the kid kicking, screaming and coloring all over the walls)

Instead of being paid to do this job, YOU pay to have it. Medical, school, clothes, etc all come out of your pocket so that part of your "job" is fulfilled.

Now, while others may LIKE this kind of job, Im not willing to put in an application, much less take the position. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 11:34 AM

13 posts, read 60,907 times
"why do people have kids?" is such weird question to me.
is it more of a rhetorical question or what?? some of the answers are equally weird here. to perpetuate the human species, to have someone take care of you when you get old, because we are programmed by society!!??
everyone has their own reasons i guess,
i had kids because i met a man i fell madly in love with, then we wanted to have our own family. its inexplicable, its everything, biological, cultural etc..
i wanted to have a big loving family of my own. we take our children to the zoo and the aquarium and enjoy the wonder of the world through their eyes.
we go to the pumpkin patch and x-mas tree farm and petting zoo...
because making your own beautiful family is amazing and wonderful.
we only get 2 chances with family, the one we were born into, and the one we make.
and if the first one sucked, we have a second chance.

Old 08-31-2008, 04:44 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,146,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
You can't hope me to have anything. I don't have children and I never will. I see nothing positive about parenting.
It's a good thing your mom didn't feel this way.

Old 08-31-2008, 05:17 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,473,569 times
I decided to have kids because my husband is the coolest, kindest, sexiest man on the face of the planet - I thought "... the world would be a better place if men like him had kids." I was right.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,877,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I decided to have kids because my husband is the coolest, kindest, sexiest man on the face of the planet - I thought "... the world would be a better place if men like him had kids." I was right.
That is the sweetest statement... and how perfectly put... i am not very good at putting emotions like that into words... I totally applaude your ability to do so with such ease and readability...it sums up the whole reason families are created out of love so perfectly...

Old 09-01-2008, 07:16 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,397,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
I love this answer, although MY husband is the coolest, kindest, sexiest man alive...
I'm kidding of course. I guess we both lucked out.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:01 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,276,225 times
I had kids because I didn't think my life would be complete without changing poopy diapers and cleaning up after messy eaters for years on end. I suppose I could have gotten a job at a nursing home for the same effect.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:58 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,258,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipmom View Post
"why do people have kids?" is such weird question to me.
is it more of a rhetorical question or what?? some of the answers are equally weird here. to perpetuate the human species, to have someone take care of you when you get old, because we are programmed by society!!??
everyone has their own reasons i guess,
i had kids because i met a man i fell madly in love with, then we wanted to have our own family. its inexplicable, its everything, biological, cultural etc..
i wanted to have a big loving family of my own. we take our children to the zoo and the aquarium and enjoy the wonder of the world through their eyes.
we go to the pumpkin patch and x-mas tree farm and petting zoo...
because making your own beautiful family is amazing and wonderful.
we only get 2 chances with family, the one we were born into, and the one we make.
and if the first one sucked, we have a second chance.
Sounds like my reasons! I didn't want kids for many years, but now that I have beautiful twin baby boys, I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything! When those boys look at me and smile as big as they can, my heart melts!

We took them for their first time swimming last weekend and it was just amazing to see them react to it.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:41 PM

132 posts, read 390,690 times
Default Are you frickin kidding me?

Wow everyone has their own opinions or what not but why would you come into a parenting and family thread and post this question?? I mean come on now... My kids are the best thing that has ever happened to me. With this outlook you have its probably a good thing you dont want kids!

Old 02-26-2010, 01:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
because when it comes down to it i get older and collage girls stay the same age rotflmfao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting