Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:28 PM

13 posts, read 60,907 times

Advertisements

because they bring you insane amounts of joy, laughter, worry, heartache, love, exhaustion, frustration, love, warmth, self-doubt, joy, laughter, and love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:50 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Posterity. A way to leave a little mark on the world (not just with your genes, but with your philosophy and values). And, if you do a good job, to give back.

Uh, I have actually heard some people say that you should have kids so that there will be someone to take care of you when you are old. Damn straight! LOL!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:24 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,037,563 times
I too dont understand WHY people have children. It seems to me ladies get the short end of the stick. We get the stretch marks, the other body changes, the poking and prodding by doctors, its often us that ends up toting them around everywhere, we usually get stuck with them if a marriage ends in divorce...the list goes on and on.

Personally, Id rather have a dog. You can send them out in the yard for days when they're being a pain, and you wont get in trouble with Social Services. :-D

On a more serious note, it is EXTREMELY irritating to me when I tell someone that I dont want children, and they respond with a smile and a "You'll change your mind".
Just because someone else has popped 'em out doesnt mean I will.
I apologize if that sounds crude, but just thinking about that makes me angry....

Old 08-18-2008, 11:27 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
because mother nature wants it to happen. mother nature does not care about your healthy relationshaps and personal happyiness. she could care less. she wants babies and sufficient food and shelter to allow them to grow. if she has to use a pair of beautiful legs to turn a CPA into a drooling idiot to do so, she will.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
because mother nature wants it to happen. mother nature does not care about your healthy relationshaps and personal happyiness. she could care less. she wants babies and sufficient food and shelter to allow them to grow. if she has to use a pair of beautiful legs to turn a CPA into a drooling idiot to do so, she will.
Mother Nature also invented the evening "headache" which also prevents all the things above from happening...

Old 08-19-2008, 06:57 AM

128 posts, read 355,257 times
Cool Sorry, i'm longwinded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I too dont understand WHY people have children. It seems to me ladies get the short end of the stick. We get the stretch marks, the other body changes, the poking and prodding by doctors, its often us that ends up toting them around everywhere, we usually get stuck with them if a marriage ends in divorce...the list goes on and on.

Personally, Id rather have a dog. You can send them out in the yard for days when they're being a pain, and you wont get in trouble with Social Services. :-D

On a more serious note, it is EXTREMELY irritating to me when I tell someone that I dont want children, and they respond with a smile and a "You'll change your mind".
Just because someone else has popped 'em out doesnt mean I will.
I apologize if that sounds crude, but just thinking about that makes me angry....
Colddiamond, don't ever let anyone change your mind. everyone should do what they think and feel is right. i'm a mom, and i think its the best - no, let me rephrase that - its the ONLY thing i've done in my life worth a damn. but that doesn't mean its for everyone. i've seen what can happen firsthand. i have a nephew who's mom didn't want to have kids. as a teenager, she got pregnant on accident - now you have a younger mom trying to relive her teen years while her sister and her brother (i'm married to the brother) raise her son. she still provides for him and she loves him - but that kiddo gets no hugs and affection from his mom unless he goes up to her himself. its kind of sad...like seeing a puppy hanging on its owners pantlegs, begging for a pat on the head. luckily he has his family and his cousins, or Lord knows how he would feel. he's 13 now, and he will tell you,my mom is going out partying again tonight. can i stay at your house? some parents that have kids when they dont' want to aren't the extreme psychopath - but they do neglect sometimes. better to not have them if you don't want them.

the point is, you don't want kids. good for you. to be strong enough to say *********, i'll do what i want. don't worry about what others say. the population of the world is not going to suffer because you aren't procreating. but at the same time, understand that to a parent that really wants kids, their kids are like their drug. and we are going to feel in our hearts that no one could ever possibly reach this euphoria that we feel unless they do have kids. they mean well. and too often we see people not want kids, have them, then say wow! this is wonderful.

okay, stupid analogy, but here goes: its like having a pet. some people are responsible, good pet owners. they get their pets fixed, keep their shots up...etc. some dont want pets because they know it would be wrong to have one couped up in an apartment all day or they know they couldn't give them the attention that they need. THEN there are those that have pets, let them roam all over God's green earth, they're having puppies everywhere, ending up on the streets...DON'T let those bad examples be the ones that you think of when you think of parenting. yes, there are people that are parents that are having them left and right, don't take care of them, etc etc...not everyone is like that. either way - no one is in the wrong. everyone has their place in life and in the whole scheme of things.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowagirl1977 View Post
Colddiamond, don't ever let anyone change your mind. everyone should do what they think and feel is right. i'm a mom, and i think its the best - no, let me rephrase that - its the ONLY thing i've done in my life worth a damn. but that doesn't mean its for everyone. i've seen what can happen firsthand. i have a nephew who's mom didn't want to have kids. as a teenager, she got pregnant on accident - now you have a younger mom trying to relive her teen years while her sister and her brother (i'm married to the brother) raise her son. she still provides for him and she loves him - but that kiddo gets no hugs and affection from his mom unless he goes up to her himself. its kind of sad...like seeing a puppy hanging on its owners pantlegs, begging for a pat on the head. luckily he has his family and his cousins, or Lord knows how he would feel. he's 13 now, and he will tell you,my mom is going out partying again tonight. can i stay at your house? some parents that have kids when they dont' want to aren't the extreme psychopath - but they do neglect sometimes. better to not have them if you don't want them.

the point is, you don't want kids. good for you. to be strong enough to say *********, i'll do what i want. don't worry about what others say. the population of the world is not going to suffer because you aren't procreating. but at the same time, understand that to a parent that really wants kids, their kids are like their drug. and we are going to feel in our hearts that no one could ever possibly reach this euphoria that we feel unless they do have kids. they mean well. and too often we see people not want kids, have them, then say wow! this is wonderful.

okay, stupid analogy, but here goes: its like having a pet. some people are responsible, good pet owners. they get their pets fixed, keep their shots up...etc. some dont want pets because they know it would be wrong to have one couped up in an apartment all day or they know they couldn't give them the attention that they need. THEN there are those that have pets, let them roam all over God's green earth, they're having puppies everywhere, ending up on the streets...DON'T let those bad examples be the ones that you think of when you think of parenting. yes, there are people that are parents that are having them left and right, don't take care of them, etc etc...not everyone is like that. either way - no one is in the wrong. everyone has their place in life and in the whole scheme of things.
Thanks. It just annoys me because it seems like everyone assumes that because I am a female, I'll want or even like children. It just gets to me, thats all.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:29 AM

128 posts, read 355,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Thanks. It just annoys me because it seems like everyone assumes that because I am a female, I'll want or even like children. It just gets to me, thats all.
don't feel bad, to each his own. when i met my husband, he wasn't sure he wanted to have another child. he already had a daughter. i told him one day, look, i love you. if that means i have to let go of my dream of having one, so be it. but we're going to have LOTS of dogs!! when he decided that he WAS ready to have another, i was elated. but girl, everyone has their place in life, just like i said. maybe you are meant to be and/or do something that just doesn't fit with being a parent. who knows. maybe you're doing that already! i love my job, but i've not been able to make it a career because then it will interfere with my mommy life. maybe that's because its meant for people like you.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 AM

83 posts, read 387,838 times
I have a son, who is now 4, and I must admit that when we first decided to have a child I was not quite 100% sure (my wife was) but we went ahead and had one anyways.

Probably not the best idea not to be 100% sure but I have no regrets at all. It was definitly a good decision for us.

Now, having a child just makes sense to me and I love having a son. It's like it gives my life meaning above and beyond simply having a wife and sharing my life with her. It is hard to explain but it feels natural and I couldn't imagine what life would be like now without a child. Easier, maybe, but not complete. Of course I didn't have to try and push him out

But! More then 1 child and I am changing my tune

Old 08-19-2008, 02:10 PM

193 posts, read 813,414 times
Every parent becomes one for different (though often similar) reasons. The one thing I really can't stand is the reverse discrimination of some childfree people who look down their noses at parents, call them names such as "breeders", etc. I agree that no one should become a parent if they do not desire to do so, and I do not think there is anything abnormal or wrong about a person who chooses to not have children. However it's equally wrong for those people to castigate people who do desire to be parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting