Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,731,470 times

Advertisements

thats apples and oranges. i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:45 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,731,470 times
okay i just saw this story was from almost 4 years ago so im done with it.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:46 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,884,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.
You mean your beliefs and morals change passed on the circumstances?

If spanking is really about your beliefs, shouldn't you know passed on those beliefs whether or not you BELIEVE it is acceptable to physically discipline elderly parents in your care?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:58 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,146,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
You mean your beliefs and morals change passed on the circumstances?

If spanking is really about your beliefs, shouldn't you know passed on those beliefs whether or not you BELIEVE it is acceptable to physically discipline elderly parents in your care?
Because the elderly are children with undeveloped brains.

You are reaching, and you know it.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltheEndofTime View Post
Because the elderly are children with undeveloped brains.

You are reaching, and you know it.
If the point of spanking is to discipline children because they are too young to reason with, it makes complete sense that it is acceptable to hit those who are a danger to themselves (say wandering in the street) who are also not able to be reasoned with (suffering from dementia or senility).

How is that reaching?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,054,914 times
Quote:
If the point of spanking is to discipline children because they are too young to reason with, it makes complete sense that it is acceptable to hit those who are a danger to themselves (say wandering in the street) who are also not able to be reasoned with (suffering from dementia or senility).

How is that reaching?
This is an apples and oranges argument. The theory behind spanking is to cause an immediate consequence for an unacceptable action for a child that has the ability to make the connection mentally.

I have a lot of respect for my father. He was a teacher by trade and worked detention institutions for problem children. He is a kind soul and does not believe in violence. He legally (in the court system) fought his Vietname draft due to war and violence being beyond his beliefs. That said, as he explained to me, spanking is not a form of abuse or violence; it is an immediate and unpleasant consequence for an action that could be potentially dangerous. For a young child that is unable to associate WHY doing something is bad through discussions and talking, this is a more effective approach. For example, I reached for the stove to grab a pan on a hot burner when I was a young toddler. I got popped on the butt. My brain immediately connects the action with an unpleasant result, but I was no injuried in the process. To a young child, there is no amount of talking to that would allow the child to understand the consequences of pulling that hot pan off the stove because the child has no concept of what the hot stove is. It is beyond the realm of the child's experience. The action of being spanked in that instance, and it was an immediate, swift counter action to my action - not a delayed reaction or prolonged reaction (multiple spanks), allowed my developing brain to make the connection that next time I am near the stove, I don't dare reach up and grab a pan.

And, just as a side note on this, yes - there are plenty of ways to prevent this type of occurance by ensuring a child is no where near the kitchen, the pan is on a back burner and out of reach, etc. But, we all also know things happen and sometimes situations arise that put a child in danger. Going to a parade, and short of keeping your kid on a leash, kids can dart out to the road after candy really fast. If a kid darts out into the road at a parade and never realizes or makes a connection as to why that is bad, the child's brain just made a connection that it is ok to dart out into the road when going after something you want, and a young child has no concept of what a car is capable of doing. What is going to stop that kid from darting out after a toy while at home?

Elderly suffering from dementia have brains that are reversing in development. The brain is unable to recall why they would be disciplined. The brain forgets, doesn't make connection.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,906,682 times
If people just gave their children "a pop on the butt" for running into the street or touching a hot stove I do not think there would be huge debates. The real issue is that most people who hit/spank do it for a variety of reasons: kid isn't listening, kid hit his sister, kid is being fresh, parent stressed out, parent having a bad day, kid is getting on their nerves...

Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
This is an apples and oranges argument. The theory behind spanking is to cause an immediate consequence for an unacceptable action for a child that has the ability to make the connection mentally.

That said, as he explained to me, spanking is not a form of abuse or violence; it is an immediate and unpleasant consequence for an action that could be potentially dangerous. For a young child that is unable to associate WHY doing something is bad through discussions and talking, this is a more effective approach.

Elderly suffering from dementia have brains that are reversing in development. The brain is unable to recall why they would be disciplined. The brain forgets, doesn't make connection.
You appear to be confusing alzheimers and dementia. Many if not most dementia patients can still learn (as shown by their fear reactions when they have been abused) so they absolutely would "benefit" they exact same way as the bold part above.

Additionally, that argument could be used logically for the advocation for hitting people with mental disabilities that make it impossible for them to learn the abstract ideas of WHY they shouldn't do things. For example, many adults with very low mental capabilities will masturbate in public or walk out into the street wouldn't they benefit from being hit the same way a small child will?

Old 11-13-2011, 09:10 AM

3,064 posts, read 2,656,824 times
Whew! Now, maybe the authorities can move on to dealing with the Penn State abused kids cases.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,054,914 times
Quote:
You appear to be confusing alzheimers and dementia. Many if not most dementia patients can still learn (as shown by their fear reactions when they have been abused) so they absolutely would "benefit" they exact same way as the bold part above.

Additionally, that argument could be used logically for the advocation for hitting people with mental disabilities that make it impossible for them to learn the abstract ideas of WHY they shouldn't do things. For example, many adults with very low mental capabilities will masturbate in public or walk out into the street wouldn't they benefit from being hit the same way a small child will?
Fear reaction because they've experienced physical pain and they don't know why? Or, fear because they did something incorrect and know they will be punished? .. I am not the one to answer this, because I do not know.

There is so much more to this discussion regarding mentally disabled than just a black or white "if hitting kids is ok, then hitting disabled is also ok."

Making a blanket statement associating discipline for young children that are not mentally handicapped to disciplinary practices for those that are is an attempt to put words in the mouths of those that do see where spanking may be warranted in young children.

And, I am absolutely NOT QUALIFIED to have the discussion further on mentally disabled. Because I can't answer those questions, I have no experience working with the disabled. I am bowing out of this portion of the discussion and have nothing further to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting