Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:43 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
Anybody who hits a child is not fit to be a parent. Somehow, my kids have never run out in front of cars, and they have never been hit.
Then I guess I am not fit to be a parent, because I have spanked my kids. Too bad they have turned out pretty great and I have a good relationship with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 02:04 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,070,427 times
When my kids were small I had two things that were AUTO Spanking.
#1... Messing with the plug-ins on the walls. Even though I had baby covers on them sooner or later you gotta take them things off to pulg up something. They learned Quick MAMA didn't like it so don't do it.
#2...Taking off your seat belt/car seat. I just can't drive and worry my kid is going to be doing that. After the first time, there wasn't another time. It don't take much or often if you do it right.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Did anyone read the ridiculous comments in that article? The ont guy from that "values" council or whatever was arguing that spanking is in "scripture." What does that have to do with anything? This is not a theocracy! Some "Christian" family values there....hit your kids into submission. Fundamentalist Christians really scare me....
I'm an atheist and I think all the anti-spanking people are off their rockers. Christians may have some odd ideas, but in all my experience they tend to have very well-behaved kids.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:58 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
I have a lot of problems with this. What childless fool of a witness to a spanking is responsible for this garbage? Whoever the guilty party is, he or she needs a spanking.

Anyone who thinks they know what is best for someone else's kid needs a spanking, as does anyone who thinks that adult reasoning actually works with toddlers.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:52 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,011 times
Quote:
Anybody who hits a child is not fit to be a parent. Somehow, my kids have never run out in front of cars, and they have never been hit.

It's very nice that your kids are perfect, but mine isn't, and she got a whack on her bottom when I needed her attention.

Observers sometimes don't get it when they see someone give a child a swat on the bottom. More times than not, it isn't for punishment as much as it is to get their attention.

I have spanked my daughter when she was little. When she focused on something negative, there was no distracting her so she would listen. I used to tell her to look me in the eyes when I talked to her, because I knew that was the only way I could tell that she heard me and understood what I was saying. Sometimes a quick swat on the bottom was what was needed to direct her focus.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,442 times
Quote:
So its OK for the courts to tell a husband he can't hit his wife, right? I'm sure we all agree on that. BUT...why isn't it OK for the courts to say that a parent can't hit their child? Why is it acceptable to hit children, when its not acceptable to hit anyone else?
Are you kidding??? You can't possibly compare the two.

A man giving a woman a black eye/ broken nose/ busted lip/ broken bones is the same as swatting your child on the butt?? A swat that stings all of five seconds.

YUP that is the same exact thing.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 PM

7 posts, read 11,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
Are you kidding??? You can't possibly compare the two.

A man giving a woman a black eye/ broken nose/ busted lip/ broken bones is the same as swatting your child on the butt?? A swat that stings all of five seconds.

YUP that is the same exact thing.
So, if I'm following this logic, it's acceptable to give your wife a sound spanking, but it's not acceptable to break her bones or give her a black eye. Is that about it?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM

37 posts, read 106,756 times
Stupid cases like this spit on the face of child abuse cases where the kid(s) are actually being abused. Do you think your child will be scarred for life and have a lifetime of emotional trauma cause they got spanked at 2?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:24 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmancity View Post
I agree. Spanking is a good choice for parents who don't have the skills to raise childre witout violence.

Toddlers will toddle, that's what they do. Once the child returned from the dangerous situation, the parent inflicted pain, so she could continue to be irresponsible, and not hold the child's hand.
Quote:
Anybody who hits a child is not fit to be a parent.

Some "Christian" family values there....hit your kids into submission. Fundamentalist Christians really scare me....
Quote:
Yeah, God forbid we treat kids like human beings rather than little robots or animals.

Let's just give em a good ol' fashioned Christian butt-whoopin' just like Jesus used to do, right?

Pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmancity View Post
So, if I'm following this logic, it's acceptable to give your wife a sound spanking, but it's not acceptable to break her bones or give her a black eye. Is that about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm an atheist and I think all the anti-spanking people are off their rockers.

Boy, you got that right!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 PM

850 posts, read 3,159,418 times
For Pete's sake. This is exactly what I hate about nosey by-standers, and the government interfering in parenting.

Obviously, all parents have their own opinions regarding discipline and punishment of THEIR children, and that will never change. Butting into someone else's child rearing is nothing more than grown-up tattle-telling simply because ones beliefs are different than anothers.

I believe it is high time we parents take back our rights - spanking is not against the law as far as I know - please correct me if I am wrong - but child abuse is. THERE IS A HUGE LINE BETWEEN THE TWO. Good parents know where that line is. We are punished, but children who truly need protecting are left to suffer as there never seems to be enough evidence. ( I have an in-law who is a social worker and the things allowed to slide or just missed are horrendous!)

Keeping corporal punishment out of schools may be one thing (although I am all for bringing it back if I give permission), but we must be allowed to discipline our children as we see fit.

How much longer are we going to sit back and let strangers, police and government decide how we should discipline, what medications should be given, and when/what sex education should be taught?

I bet the witnesses that turned her in have no problem with schools handing out condoms to middle schoolers, though.

Ok - I am steamed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting