Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:48 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,806,953 times

Advertisements

I do wonder about the difference between spanking a small child who runs into the street or takes things without asking--and, for instance, an elderly parent with dementia who wanders into the street or takes things without asking. Most people agree that it's not okay to hit their parents, and they manage to deal with them without hitting them. Maybe it's just a mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:07 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,799,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
if you were just trying to understand it then youd be open minded about it and not quoting studies from sweden or someplace about it being illegal or how you dont spank your kids.
I am quoting studies to reiterate the idea that there is no link between not hitting children and problems in later life. The facts are actually support the opposite view.

I am trying to understand the mindset of people who say it isn't acceptable to hit anyone but small children. It literally makes no sense to me and the "my parents did it so it much be alright" mentality holds no logic.

Quote:
I respect the fact that you dont spank. Thats your right. However I was spanked and any kids that I have will be spanked as well regardless of what some group of activists says.
So only activists believe it wrong to hit children? That does not make sense.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I do wonder about the difference between spanking a small child who runs into the street or takes things without asking--and, for instance, an elderly parent with dementia who wanders into the street or takes things without asking. Most people agree that it's not okay to hit their parents, and they manage to deal with them without hitting them. Maybe it's just a mindset.
I had never thought of that.

I wonder if the parents who spank their small children also think it is okay to hit your elderly parents when they are in your care.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
What I said was I'm not in a position to tell another parent how to raise their child. I only ask that their child does not become a burden on society because of the lack of effective parenting. There is also a big difference between discipline and abuse. Huge.
Ok, what is the difference?

Quote:
For the American society, there appears to be a big gap between children that were disciplined effectively, and those that were not. Quoting what Sweden does is a moot point; different country, economy, culture and overall laws. I am not about to tell you how to discipline your child, and I expect that you don't tell me how to discipline mine.
Where did I tell you how to discipline your child? All I have done is ask for an answer to a question (which I have still yet to get).

So how do you teach a child not to hit (or let themselves be hit by others) when you, someone who is supposed to love and defend them, are hitting them?

Old 11-12-2011, 09:19 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,707,220 times
if you dont believe in spanking then you will never get a satisfactory answer. Just like you can never say anything that will change my views.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:23 PM

omg theres a big difference between spanking your kid and watching your kid get his butt whipped. "So how do you teach a child not to hit (or let themselves be hit by others) when you, someone who is supposed to love and defend them, are hitting them?" not once have i ever told any kid not to hit.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
omg theres a big difference between spanking your kid and watching your kid get his butt whipped. "So how do you teach a child not to hit (or let themselves be hit by others) when you, someone who is supposed to love and defend them, are hitting them?" not once have i ever told any kid not to hit.
But you have shown your children that it is acceptable for people who love them to hit them.

Actions speak louder than words, so through your actions you have taught your children that it is acceptable to hit people.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
if you dont believe in spanking then you will never get a satisfactory answer. Just like you can never say anything that will change my views.
That does not make any sense.

I do not believe in different religious views but I UNDERSTAND them. I do not believe in certain political beliefs but I understand them.

It is completely possible to understand why people do something even if you do not personally agree with it.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
you answered your own question. "Most people agree that it's not okay to hit their parents". Its respect.

I think a lot of us have had diff upbringings. i wasnt raised to be a friend or equal. Id never hit my parents (if they were alive) because for one you obey and honor your parents and two id get one serious a$$ whipping if i did.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
you answered your own question. "Most people agree that it's not okay to hit their parents". Its respect.

I think a lot of us have had diff upbringings. i wasnt raised to be a friend or equal. Id never hit my parents (if they were alive) because for one you obey and honor your parents and two id get one serious a$$ whipping if i did.
What if they were elderly, suffering from dementia and were in your care?

Suppose they were wandering into the street and due to dementia you were not able to reason with them. Would you hit them then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting