Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

Our kids ran a rinding lawnmower from about age 8. But I do not let them use the push mower. I think that the push mower is far more dangerous and more difficult.

the zero turn radius mowers are a bit harder to learn to use, but still can be mastered by an 8 year old with a few hours of supervision first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 01:47 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our kids ran a rinding lawnmower from about age 8. But I do not let them use the push mower. I think that the push mower is far more dangerous and more difficult.

the zero turn radius mowers are a bit harder to learn to use, but still can be mastered by an 8 year old with a few hours of supervision first.
Every major medical society would argue just the opposite....riding mowers are much more dangerous. They are inherently unstable and tip very easily, sudden stops and starts can also throw the rider into harms way...

16 is the consensus age to handle a riding mower....

In my line of work I have seen dozens of horribly mangled children from riding mowers primarily, very few from push mowers.

The majority of children I see with amputations from riding mowers are 10 and under, often from just riding the mowers not even doing the driving...

Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kingsinvegas View Post
I agree that it really depends on the maturity of the child.... however, I would make a rule that when they are mowing no one else is allowed in the yard. (except mom of course). I saw a show a few years ago where the teenage son actually ran over his little sister while mowing the lawn on a riding mower. He had no idea she had come into the yard.

We had 12 acres as a kid and I think I was probably 12 or 13 when I started mowing. Just remember safety first and make sure you kids understand that it is all business when they are either riding the mower or pushing one.
That is a very good rule!! Great suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I had an experience that caused me to ask that question. I had a voluteer helper one Summer and was cautioned that she could only legally do certain things for me. She could not vacuum the floor, because that was considered machinery and she was too young to legally operate machines. I believe a lawn mower is a machine too. I am sure the laws vary from state to state. I live in a state that believes in protecting children from irresponsible people.

I also volunteered in a church nursery, had young girls who wanted to help and was told that we could not have anyone under 12 helping us because a child could not legally babysit until they are 12 years old.

My dh had a stroke last year and could not mow our lawn or drive because he was temperorily seeing double. I had to drive the lawnmower. I have been driving for more than 40 years and it is my opinion that a riding mower is much harder to operate than a car. My opinion is that the person should be at least 18 to operate a riding mower. If in doubt, don't.
Those rules might have been their company rules related more to their insurance then state laws. States don't legislate things like this because it sets them up for instant lawsuits. If they say a 16 year old is old enough to use a riding mower and has an accident, parents sue the state because he was 'old' enough. Also 16 year olds can drive a car but not a riding lawnmower in your eyes??

Our kids started using a push mower at age 10, with supervision. We had a flat yard, would not have let them do a hilly yard at that age. Now at 13, 13 and almost 16 they use the mower without supervision. Most of their friends started at around the same age too.

We started driving a riding mower probably around age 4, with help. My grandpa had one that we called the 'tractor'. He would give us rides on it NOT with the cutters going, just the tractor. He even built a wagon that we could ride in. At about age 7 or so we started being able to ride around on that alone. He had 500 acres of pine forests and we would spend hours riding around his land. This was a mower from the late 60's with no safety features but we didn't run the mower that young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting