Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:18 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,755,396 times

Advertisements

I agree with Elk Hunter.
My husband let our almost 11 year old son mow the dogs yard with the riding mower, with him walking right beside him but my son was too light and kept killing the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,717,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Can I ask a stupid question, why is a push lawnmover safer than a riding? I figure it would be the opposite.

They are both very dangerous. It is easier to stop a push mower. I don't remember ever running into a tree with a push mower, unless I wanted to, but even my dh gets whacked with limbs riding the mower. When I had to do the mowing, I usually looked like I had been in a fight with something and I had, but is was the trees or the ditch.

Last edited by NCN; 07-01-2008 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
They are both very dangerous. It is easier to stop a push mower. I don't remember ever running into a tree with a push mower, unless I wanted to, but even my dh gets whacked with limbs riding the mower. When I had to do the mowing, I usually looked like I had been in a fight with something and I had, but is was the trees or the ditch.
I've considered getting one of those old fashioned push mowers, without a motor, kwim? And giving a portion of the yard for my son to do with that. It will be good for him! He does weedeat though. We just handed that job over to him this summer.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,676,469 times
I have a 13 year old. he started using the rider last year. we are always around while he is mowing. He can also use the push mower. We never had him mow until last year. 11 just sounds a bit young, but a lot depends on the size of the kid!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,717,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I've considered getting one of those old fashioned push mowers, without a motor, kwim? And giving a portion of the yard for my son to do with that. It will be good for him! He does weedeat though. We just handed that job over to him this summer.
That is the kind I used when I was growing up. My cousin even got hurt with one of those. I saw one like that Monday at Lowe's. It was $89. If gas prices keep going up, we will all have to use one. I don't have really pleasant memories about using that.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That is the kind I used when I was growing up. My cousin even got hurt with one of those. I saw one like that Monday at Lowe's. It was $89. If gas prices keep going up, we will all have to use one. I don't have really pleasant memories about using that.
No kidding! I can't believe how much it costs just to mow the grass now

Old 07-02-2008, 12:21 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,204,752 times
It depends on each individual child. Some are mature and willing to listen to and follow instructions. My dad let me start mowing around 8, back in the late 60's. I thought of it as a privelage to be trusted to do it and help. not as a chore.

IMO I suggest that you Please make sure that they are shown how the various equipment works, how to 'kill' the engine. Must Wear sturdy shoes! NO horseplay.
Personally I wouldn't let them mow on banks/hills until they have 'proven' their capabilities on flat ground, and even then I would be cautious. My steb brother (in his 40's) cut off his big toe last summer due to being distracted while on a slope (accidents can happen...but they are accidents afterall and life goes on

and breeze823. I hope you have some safety glasses for your som to wear weedeating...and he wears sturdy shoes!

And speaking of old fashioned push mowers, had one and it was great for where I used to live. Ecologically sound and easy to start! Just check and see if they are recommended on the tyoe of grass you have, They work better on some lawns.

Happy mowing.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:32 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,936,958 times
I am currently reading Raising Boys by Steve Bidduluph. It says that boys between the ages of 11 and 13 have a huge increase in testosterone which creates their bodies to have sudden growth. This sudden growth means that their whole nervous system has to sort of rewire itself, causing boys around this age to become "dopey and disorganized for many months." Anyhow, if your children are boys and going through this stage, it might make you question their ability to drive a mower!

I (a female) started mowing a very large yard with the mower around fourteen, once my sister moved away. I don't know when she started (but she was more responsible then me, anyhow!) But for a long time before this, it was my job to walk around picking up all the toys and sticks in the yard so someone else could mow. This would work well if you decide to keep allowing the 13 y.o. to mow, then your 11 y.o. could prep the yard first.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 PM

CrazyMa, definately, he wears goggles and good shoes! And I stay right with him!

That's interesting CrazyMe! He does kinda act dopey sometimes,lol, now I know why

Old 07-02-2008, 03:02 PM

1,952 posts, read 4,803,524 times
Thanks for the replies.
Mercy, I wouldn't allow him anywhere near a slope on it; though....I refused to let him mow next to the creek bank; I mowed that strip first, then let him take over the other day.
I would never allow him/them to mow anywhere other than FLAT yard.
But, I do think I should wait a bit; judging from your responses.
I don't want to take any chances with my kids. There are other chores they can do, besides this.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting