Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 10:43 PM

15,907 posts, read 21,581,361 times

Advertisements

People don't think you're immature because of your age, people think you're immature based on the numerous threads on this very subject that you make and how you turn every thread into a "woe is me, I'm childfree and can't find a similar minded woman". It comes across as VERY defensive on your part.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,884,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
People don't think you're immature because of your age, people think you're immature based on the numerous threads on this very subject that you make and how you turn every thread into a "woe is me, I'm childfree and can't find a similar minded woman". It comes across as VERY defensive on your part.
Other people have done the same thing.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,446,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
If you look at my previous posts, you'll see that I'm a guy and people, especially judges me because I have no interest in fatherhood at all. As for sex, I'll have a vasectomy before I do that. I'm not lying on that.

I really can't stand people who don't respect other people's decision when it comes between being a parent or wanting to stay childfree, whether they're young or old.
Go back and read my post. I'm sure when you read it again, you will understand that I was JOKING. So, don't be defensive, as I'm on your side. It's nobody's business. Perhaps you should just tell people that if people ever question your decision again. So what if it's rude. It's rude for others to second guess your decision. If you ever change your mind, well, it's still not their business. And, I know plenty of people who didn't want children at 19 and were still not keen on having them 20-30 years later.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtee View Post
Go back and read my post. I'm sure when you read it again, you will understand that I was JOKING. So, don't be defensive, as I'm on your side. It's nobody's business. Perhaps you should just tell people that if people ever question your decision again. So what if it's rude. It's rude for others to second guess your decision. If you ever change your mind, well, it's still not their business. And, I know plenty of people who didn't want children at 19 and were still not keen on having them 20-30 years later.
I wasn't being defensive, I just forgot to add my gender.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:31 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,015,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
It doesn't seem that the OP started this thread as a why can't I find anyone topic. Heck, lots of single people with and without children have trouble finding the right person.
But I digress, I think the question at hand is do you as parents, think that people who do not want children are selfish?

Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,771,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
It doesn't seem that the OP started this thread as a why can't I find anyone topic. Heck, lots of single people with and without children have trouble finding the right person.
But I digress, I think the question at hand is do you as parents, think that people who do not want children are selfish?
I guess this person has come across him often enough to read between the lines. I just came across a similar situation in another forum. A person keeps going back to the same subject with different wording. I guess they may be waiting for someone to agree with them.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:25 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,753,937 times
I approach the topic of other people taking on offspring with the same manner that I approach the topic of what type of sexual activities they perform in bed---by minding my own business.

I think we're in an age where happiness should matter over what's society-proper, where women should be able to make their own choices with their spouses without friend/relative/mother-in-law intervention, and where I can wear a ridiculous-looking outfit that I love without strangers coming up to me and commenting (but if you want to look, go right ahead) ;P

People are nosy and bossy. Ignore them. If you had kids, their next step would be to tell you how to raise them.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,778,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
If you look at my previous posts, you'll see that I'm a guy and people, especially judges me because I have no interest in fatherhood at all. As for sex, I'll have a vasectomy before I do that. I'm not lying on that.

I really can't stand people who don't respect other people's decision when it comes between being a parent or wanting to stay childfree, whether they're young or old.
you are light years ahead of most. i salute you.
men need to stop giving away their power.
its not selfish. its yours, not somebody elses. men are too often viewed as chattel or some sort of servant let out for hire whose wages talent and ability, belong to an owner. the greatest joy of becoming single again was no longer being a servant in my own home.
freedom your taste is sweet.
self respect is like the roses in my garden.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-12-2008, 01:44 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,222,971 times
I didn't want kids when I was 17, my sister doesn't want kids and she's 15, my cousin doesn't want kids and he's 16. I think it's a teenage thing and we shouldn't judge teenagers when they say they don't want kids because many of them change their minds. I changed my mind, my sister might change her mind but if not then I don't care because I think you should do what makes you happy. But I do notice that attitude a lot with the under-20 crowd and that attitude can change dramatically (or not) depending on where our lives take us. I am just ending my treatment for Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and it made me re-prioritize my life. Before becoming ill, I knew that I didn't want kids but after a year of treatment and life changing events I now know that I want at least three kids but my expectations have changed. One of the chemo drugs I was on has a pretty good chance of rendering a person sterile so now I'd like to adopt. I feel that I can love an adopted child just as much as a biological child. Decisions we make about having or not having children, either biological or adopted, are not concrete and the decisions are shaped by the events in our lives.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I didn't want kids when I was 17, my sister doesn't want kids and she's 15, my cousin doesn't want kids and he's 16. I think it's a teenage thing and we shouldn't judge teenagers when they say they don't want kids because many of them change their minds. I changed my mind, my sister might change her mind but if not then I don't care because I think you should do what makes you happy. But I do notice that attitude a lot with the under-20 crowd and that attitude can change dramatically (or not) depending on where our lives take us. I am just ending my treatment for Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma and it made me re-prioritize my life. Before becoming ill, I knew that I didn't want kids but after a year of treatment and life changing events I now know that I want at least three kids but my expectations have changed. One of the chemo drugs I was on has a pretty good chance of rendering a person sterile so now I'd like to adopt. I feel that I can love an adopted child just as much as a biological child. Decisions we make about having or not having children, either biological or adopted, are not concrete and the decisions are shaped by the events in our lives.
What made you change your mind? You know it would scare me if I was with a girl for a while, and she was 100% sure she never wanted kids, but later on she changed her mind. I wouldn't know what to do.

I've know some guys my age who never wants kids for personal reasons. Its pretty easy for girls to change their minds compared to guys. I guess its a guy thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting