Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 06:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,911,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So parents should never play a prank on their children?
Nope. Not until adulthood.

My mom loved to prank us. Not one was painless in our childhoods.

You are dead wrong. I kept a brave face. Try empathy........I know you wont. Too painful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,081,351 times
Quote:
I just don't agree with the model of childhood many of you are talking about.
LOL yeah I think we established that about 20 posts ago.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:49 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,357,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Nope. Not until adulthood.

My mom loved to prank us. Not one was painless in our childhoods.

You are dead wrong. I kept a brave face. Try empathy........I know you wont. Too painful
Think what you like honey. You think I know nothing of empathy? Remember that next time everyone is jumping all over you in this forum and I defend you like I have in the past.

Old 11-06-2017, 06:51 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,357,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
LOL yeah I think we established that about 20 posts ago.
And yet people keep telling me how wrong I am. LOL yeah.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,081,351 times
Quote:
And yet people keep telling me how wrong I am. LOL yeah.
Well, you ARE wrong but most of the time you have good replies here soooo ....

Old 11-06-2017, 07:28 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,745,896 times
Quote:
So parents should never play a prank on their children?
A prank is funny when both parties end up laughing. It's not funny when one party ends up crying hysterically and must be comforted.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:34 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,921,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Jimmy Kimmel Halloween candy prank: Jennifer Lawrence intros with Trump impression

I'm not a parent but I always thought this prank was a good indication of how your kid deals with disappointment. Being upset is probably baseline normal, being cool with it is ideal and being violent says that you need to focus on the way they react to things.

How do parents feel about it?
At what point do you want parents to tell the truth?

Old 11-07-2017, 09:57 AM

28,972 posts, read 30,346,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I think it's terribly cruel. "Pranking" a teen might be different; they're old enough to understand the point of the prank and to maybe "prank" you back later. Doing this to a small child just seems downright cruel.
yeah, but the sad, part is, not all of these kids are teens, and the parents stand there, taping themselves, teasing the kids....

it is down right cruel....I cannot believe they are doing this....? this is where kids learn how to bully...it is actually a behavior that is acted out, taped and laughed at....very unthinking and cruel....I cannot believe adults act like this and treat they're kids like this?

You should have to take a test to be a parent.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I just am a little surprised that most of the kids are so violently possessive of their candy. Whatever happened to sharing? When my siblings and I were young and trick or treated, we all dumped our candy out to be checked by the adults, swapped amongst ourselves for our favorites, gave mom and dad a few pieces, and then we were allowed a set number of pieces to eat each day. We were expected to police ourselves on eating only the correct amount from the bags which we each kept in our rooms. This was my mom's version of teaching us self-discipline. And, to be honest, there might have been a tiny bit of cheating. After a couple days, I often forgot to eat mine and left it in the back of the closet for months. We just never regarded candy in this greedy way. We never got much candy, but it was no big deal to us.

I agree it seems like a cruel joke, but likely to be forgotten quickly, no permanent damage after revealing it's a joke. I do think that the kids' behavior is not reflective of their character so much as the parenting skills of the adults.
this isn't at all about sharing or swaping, the parents tell the kids that they were hungry and ate ALL their candy while they were sleeping.
Pretty sick prank

Old 11-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think it's stupid and cruel, and no, it is not a good indication of anything valuable about your child's character.
this to me, is a parents first mistake, and inability to see the future ramifications of this....How to Bully and "Deliberately" hurt others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting