Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 04:19 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,363,622 times

Advertisements

It's cruel. I secretly fume when my daughter takes oldest grandson (age 4) trick or treating. She takes the treats he gets out of his bag and replaces them with "healthy" ones (she doesn't let him have nonorganic foods or sugar), like organic dried fruit (yuck), organic raisins (double yuck), and organic chocolate sweetened with honey (not bad, but it doesn't compete with Reeses or Snickers). He doesn't make a fuss about it...not yet, anyway. He's only 4.

What gets me is that she and her DH don't adhere to the organic only/no sugar rules themselves...they can put away bags of fun sized Reeses in one evening watching Netflix. THEY eat his Trick Or Treat candy after they replace it with the healthy stuff. Unfair and hypocritical in my opinion. I once felt sorry for him at a birthday party (he has to bring his own food to birthday parties so he won't eat cake and ice cream and other junk), and gave him some of my cupcake and a little caramel fruit dip, He got diarrhea that night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 05:51 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,072,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
It's cruel. I secretly fume when my daughter takes oldest grandson (age 4) trick or treating. She takes the treats he gets out of his bag and replaces them with "healthy" ones (she doesn't let him have nonorganic foods or sugar), like organic dried fruit (yuck), organic raisins (double yuck), and organic chocolate sweetened with honey (not bad, but it doesn't compete with Reeses or Snickers). He doesn't make a fuss about it...not yet, anyway. He's only 4.

What gets me is that she and her DH don't adhere to the organic only/no sugar rules themselves...they can put away bags of fun sized Reeses in one evening watching Netflix. THEY eat his Trick Or Treat candy after they replace it with the healthy stuff. Unfair and hypocritical in my opinion. I once felt sorry for him at a birthday party (he has to bring his own food to birthday parties so he won't eat cake and ice cream and other junk), and gave him some of my cupcake and a little caramel fruit dip, He got diarrhea that night.
You go Grandma!!

seriously, if one of your kids was making their sibling cry and thought it was "Fun" to do so, you would correct them in a hurry. And yet the parents are doing the same thing. It is never "fun" to cause someone else pain. If you think it is, you are a sicko.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:00 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,342,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Jimmy Kimmel Halloween candy prank: Jennifer Lawrence intros with Trump impression

I'm not a parent but I always thought this prank was a good indication of how your kid deals with disappointment. Being upset is probably baseline normal, being cool with it is ideal and being violent says that you need to focus on the way they react to things.

How do parents feel about it?
I think its a hilarious skit and I look forward to it when Halloween comes around. I do see the point you are making and often thought along the same lines.

As for people saying its cruel, its a joke. I know, I know. We aren't supposed to joke around anymore lest we hurt someone else's feelings.

I've had plenty of good natured pranks pulled on me and I've pulled them myself. Stop being so darn sensitive and learn to LAUGH.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:01 AM

For those saying they NEVER lie to their children...

No tooth fairy?

No Santa?

No Easter Bunny?

Come on people. Get a grip.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
You never prank or lie to your kids? What about parents who pretend they threw away toys bc the room isn't cleaned? Is that different bc it's a consequence for behavior?

I guess I can understand why people think it's cruel bc candy means so much to kids. It doesn't last long but I can see intentionally upsetting the kids isn't the best thing ever.
Meh. I took my engagement ring off to do dishes once and my husband hid it for like 10 minutes. Yes I panicked. After he gave it back to me I laughed my butt off.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
No, I never pranked my kids. I never pretended to throw away their toys. What is the point of that? They will never believe you again.

I also never taught them to believe that the boogeyman was going to get them. I never understood parents who enjoy terrifying their children or using them for their own amusement. I also don't understand parents who treat their children with less respect than they show a total stranger.
Oh come on. This is patently false.

If your child doesn't EVER believe you EVER AGAIN in their ENTIRE lives because of a few pranks or stealth parenting moves...there are larger problems than the aforementioned.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:07 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,524,647 times
Quote:
Hmmm, interesting to hear from parents. As a viewer, I see it as a warning sign of things to come when you have kids getting violent or breaking things.
Agree with you. This age the kids are setting their personalities. Be interesting to follow these kids through life and see where they end up. Some will be violent if they are pissed off about candy. Greed, maybe they'll be Pharm or health insurnace CEO'S. or end up in jail or dead cause of no self control.

I brought my candy home, dumped it out and told my parents to pick what they want. they would each pick one item. I was never big into candy etc., just don't have much of a sweet tooth. Much of it got thrown out before Thanksgiving. I did like the dressing up part of Halloween.

My parents' lied' about Santa, Easter Bunny, etc. I knew they had my back, I trusted them. It was explained to me that there was a Santa tale to help with imagination and to have a dream that can come true. And throughout my life I have had many dreams come true.
Seriously something this small would not make them trust you? Then there is bigger problems than this in the family.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 11-04-2017 at 08:19 AM..

Old 11-04-2017, 09:27 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post

Poor kid. Why make the child suffer just because you don't agree with his parents?

Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,046,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I've had plenty of good natured pranks pulled on me and I've pulled them myself. Stop being so darn sensitive and learn to LAUGH.
I don't see how this is a good natured prank when the intent is to make your children cry or to make them angry. That's mean. Parents should not be intentionally trying to hurt their children's feelings just for a few seconds of laugh on late night TV.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:38 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,067,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think its a hilarious skit and I look forward to it when Halloween comes around. I do see the point you are making and often thought along the same lines.

As for people saying its cruel, its a joke. I know, I know. We aren't supposed to joke around anymore lest we hurt someone else's feelings.

I am the least "spare-my-special-snowflake" mom out there.

There's a difference between a joke played on an adult by another adult, and leveraging your parental role to deliberately agitate and distress your children. The children's distress is real. Play all the jokes you want on your peers, doing this to a child is an a**hole move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting